Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 11/16 FCS Polls

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    If SDSU beats WIU by a pretty comanding margin and SDSU gets left out I think the conference and the athletic department will go crazy.....
    As Coach Stig said in the U of M postgame talk with Imming..."last year, we were told 7-1 in conference play would get us in, if that isn't good enough this year....then...well...it's a crazy business we're in." (paraphrase).

I don't know if it was how he said it (in his typical Stig candor), but I had a good chuckle about it, but it made me feel better about our chances.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
      As Coach Stig said in the U of M postgame talk with Imming..."last year, we were told 7-1 in conference play would get us in, if that isn't good enough this year....then...well...it's a crazy business we're in." (paraphrase).

I don't know if it was how he said it (in his typical Stig candor), but I had a good chuckle about it, but it made me feel better about our chances.
      7-1 conference play helps but the loss at a mediocre FCS Cal Poly really hurts. The Coyotes even found a way to win at Cal Poly.

Comment

From Terry's Tuesday Tidbits Blog. Sounds like some of us need to settle down a bit and relax. We win at W. Illinois and we are in.

Although there's one week left in the regular season, the Football Championship Subdivision playoff predictions are beginning to circulation. College Sporting News has declared the No. 12-ranked Jacks a mortal lock to make the 16-team field if they can beat Western Illinois (1-9) on Saturday. SDSU stayed at No. 12 in the media and coaches polls despite a 16-13 loss at Minnesota. The Gridiron Power Index - the third ratings system taken into account by the playoff selection committee - should be released today.

(read more)

Comment

Originally posted by AugieJackFan View Post
          7-1 conference play helps but the loss at a mediocre FCS Cal Poly really hurts. The Coyotes even found a way to win at Cal Poly.
          Very true. A few weeks ago, in TV's live chat he had a poll that asked something like "is the loss to Cal Poly going to hurt that Jacks playoff chances". That was indeed a painful and possibly detrimental loss, that we should not have endured.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Doesn't matter what the polls say, we need to win Saturday and the selection committee needs to do the right thing Sunday and announce that the Jackrabbits are in the playoffs and hosting a game. With losses to a playoff team from last year, the #1 team in the nation and a Big 10 team and an 8-1 record in one of the premiere conferences in FCS including a victory of perennial power UNI we should get serious consideration for a home game.

All that is moot if we don't bring it on Saturday and I for one am sure we will.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

As far as a playoff spot is concerned, we are fine and there is nothing to worry about unless we loss to WIU, which if we do, we didn't deserve to make the playoffs anyways.

...but as for home field advantage in the first round, you can start worrying about that, as I would be surprised if we actually got a home game, as I see us going to Montana or McNeese St (and yes, don't be surprised if UNI has a home game and we don't).
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                As far as a playoff spot is concerned, we are fine and there is nothing to worry about unless we loss to WIU, which if we do, we didn't deserve to make the playoffs anyways.

...but as for home field advantage in the first round, you can start worrying about that, as I would be surprised if we actually got a home game, as I see us going to Montana or McNeese St (and yes, don't be surprised if UNI has a home game and we don't).
                Help me understand why you think UNI would have a home game if we don't? If its a matter of outbidding us you might have something but from my discussions with those in the Athletic Department precedent will hold. In other words, we have made competitive bids in the past in other sports and I expect we will do the same here.

I'm not one bit worried about the playoffs. We have a much more important game on Saturday. I'm just pointing out the reasons we might deserve not only a spot but consideration for a home game. All this travel is really putting a damper on hunting season.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I gotta think that with our history on bidding on events (Summit League BBall, WNIT, etc.) and with our strong corporate sponsorship in Brookings that the bid submitted for a home playoff game would be very competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    I gotta think that with our history on bidding on events (Summit League BBall, WNIT, etc.) and with our strong corporate sponsorship in Brookings that the bid submitted for a home playoff game would be very competitive.
                    I certainly hope we get more fans than the SIU game if we do host a playoff game. Only 10k for the SIU game was disappointing. Weather was great and it was basically a playoff game as it was. 10k for a home playoff game would be extremely disappointing maybe to the point of being embarrassing.

Comment

I certainly hope we get more fans than the SIU game if we do host a playoff game. Only 10k for the SIU game was disappointing. Weather was great and it was basically a playoff game as it was. 10k for a home playoff game would be extremely disappointing maybe to the point of being embarrassing.
                      I think if you look at the attendance history of playoff games in the FCS subdivision an attendance number of 10,000 would not be that embarrassing. Sure, there are programs that regularly draw 15-20,000 and their numbers remain in that range but other programs likely see about 8-10,000. I'm not sure and I don't have the numbers. Agree with you, I would like to see 15,000 but 10,000 is not a bad number either.

Comment

Its over thanksgiving. You will lose a majority of students. Sad but true
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

10th in the power rankings this week. UNI is 7th.

Cal Poly going in the tank is really kicking our @$$ in the power department.

CSN has the Jacks as a lock to be in the playoffs with a win vs. WIU and a no way with a loss.

I know Stig is not into rolling up the score, but it may not be a bad idea this week given the opportunity.

As far as home games go. UNI Dome holds around 16,500 I think. I presume they bid off a sellout. The Jacks can't bank on 16,500 on Thanksgiving weekend. They can bank on my two tickets plus a multitude of others who have asked if I can get them playoff tickets through my season tickets if the Jacks get a home game. I have no idea what I would expect for a crowd on Thanksgiving weekend, 12,500?

Comment

Wow! Do we all remember when 10,000 was a huge gate? There were plenty of distraction that kept fans away from the SIU game. I personally thought it was an exceptable crowd.

GBGBGJ

Comment

12,500 tickets at $20 a pop is still $250,000 in gate receipts.

It may be dissapointing attendance for us, but its still better than alot of the schools in the running.

Think a 100K bid would be enough to get a game?

Comment

I'm not sure of the TV schedule for the FCS football playoffs. Are all the games on TV? Of course that could take a bite out of the attendance figures.

Comment

Working...
                                X