Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    haha YES jake, i think we are all aware that you have a little bit of a dislike for ndsu. you and i do differ on this. i absolutely HATE losing to them. i think they have some fans who are difficult to see or hear, i guess every school does of course. but beyond that i have a ton of respect for the school the athletic program and the fb program. everything about the place is FAR more respectable than usd, und, or augie. if i had players or students who were interested in a career in music i pointed them toward augie, other than that i cannot think of ONE reason i would EVER recommend that ANYONE EVER attend any of those schools or cheer for their teams

as far as the holding thing goes. please go back and watch their semi game against jmu. i think this will make any holding that ndsu has done over the years seem mild. the left OFFENSIVE tackle for jmu was the leading tackler in that game by far. it really made me feel a lot better about many of the occasions i have felt that the rabbits got the short end from the officials

but yes i do agree with you i do think they hold. i have also thought over the years that they coach their DBs to hold as much as possible, up to the limit of what the refs will allow. i used to feel that they could have been flagged on easily 60 plus % of passing plays for holding. ironic that i think the play at end of jmu game with the interception was NOT a penalty. absolutely text book training video pass coverage

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
    and ABSOLUTELY, i think we will have some excellent options for all of the new coaching hires, obviously including OC. i think this is going to be very interesting, however, because i really do not know if we have an in house candidate to fill OC, at this point. that will be first in a long time. Eids was already on staff both times, as was Eck.

i am not sure, WHO do we lose for sure off O Line? i believe genant is gone and aaron johnson and maybe the older miller. yes??? no??? but we have at least 3 very experienced guys coming back, including one time all american and two first team all conference guys. i think greenfield actually has 3 years remain if he would want, and mccormick has at least 2 maybe 3. younger miller i think three.

we lose a great RB and good QB, but have beyond legit all american candidates return at both spots. plus very possible landon wolfe and chase mason. the offense should be VERY WELL stocked. there will be more and bigger holes on the other side.

i am very unfamiliar with the NSIC but are there some buzzy younger HC or OC?? that seems to be a good and regular training ground for MVFC coaching hires. Eck, Bergstrom, Neilsen and i am sure a lot of others, eck was obviously great, neilsen is having some success but the story is far from complete. bergstrom, i think jury is still out. are there others that i am not thinking of

it makes sense to hire from nsic because those coaches are already familiar and have relationships in the same recruiting area. not saying we WILL or HAVE to hire from nsic or even local, but it seems like ultimately we would love to have somebody with some familiarity with our program and this area. i also think we try to hire people who are not automatically looking at the job as a stepping stone to someplace else. OF COURSE we know that coaches will leave and we WANT to hire assistants who will be wanted by other programs!!! BUT i think they try to hire people who they can at least imagine would stay at sdsu/ brookings for the LONG term

have we ever stolen a coach from ndsu? who would be their most likely to move up if they lost their OC?? do they have an O line or running game coach who we could steal?? stealing hendo from their MBB seems to be working pretty good)))
    Henning at MSU-Mankato could be option at OL that would satisfy desire for WI ties among some posters.

Bookins, a Twin Cities native with WI ties, at UNI could be option to replace Bergstrom, or Pawlak at UND could coach OL.

Larson, the Bison OL coach, also has WI ties, but I'm not sold on hiring from among the Ungulates' staff, as my completely unbiased opinion is that their OL have a severe propensity to blatantly hold

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    and ABSOLUTELY, i think we will have some excellent options for all of the new coaching hires, obviously including OC. i think this is going to be very interesting, however, because i really do not know if we have an in house candidate to fill OC, at this point. that will be first in a long time. Eids was already on staff both times, as was Eck.

i am not sure, WHO do we lose for sure off O Line? i believe genant is gone and aaron johnson and maybe the older miller. yes??? no??? but we have at least 3 very experienced guys coming back, including one time all american and two first team all conference guys. i think greenfield actually has 3 years remain if he would want, and mccormick has at least 2 maybe 3. younger miller i think three.

we lose a great RB and good QB, but have beyond legit all american candidates return at both spots. plus very possible landon wolfe and chase mason. the offense should be VERY WELL stocked. there will be more and bigger holes on the other side.

i am very unfamiliar with the NSIC but are there some buzzy younger HC or OC?? that seems to be a good and regular training ground for MVFC coaching hires. Eck, Bergstrom, Neilsen and i am sure a lot of others, eck was obviously great, neilsen is having some success but the story is far from complete. bergstrom, i think jury is still out. are there others that i am not thinking of

it makes sense to hire from nsic because those coaches are already familiar and have relationships in the same recruiting area. not saying we WILL or HAVE to hire from nsic or even local, but it seems like ultimately we would love to have somebody with some familiarity with our program and this area. i also think we try to hire people who are not automatically looking at the job as a stepping stone to someplace else. OF COURSE we know that coaches will leave and we WANT to hire assistants who will be wanted by other programs!!! BUT i think they try to hire people who they can at least imagine would stay at sdsu/ brookings for the LONG term

have we ever stolen a coach from ndsu? who would be their most likely to move up if they lost their OC?? do they have an O line or running game coach who we could steal?? stealing hendo from their MBB seems to be working pretty good)))

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Who wouldn't want to be Jacks OC with this guy back at QB along with Davis, Kraft, Heins, Janke x 2 and company ? http://www.twitter.com/RayGronowski/...92496727212040
    YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! i totally KNOW that there are NO guarantees, but i really think that minus grono getting injured on our first or second offensive possession of the shsu game the jacks are spring and fall 2021 champs. and back to back defending champs going in to next fall

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied
    Who wouldn't want to be Jacks OC with this guy back at QB along with Davis, Kraft, Heins, Janke x 2 and company ? http://www.twitter.com/RayGronowski/...92496727212040

Leave a comment:

• rabbits64
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Stig has made good hires in the past, but I feel like this is a pivotal set of hires to keep the program at the level we’ve been at. We need a competent OC that can call games based on the talent we have coming back. Perhaps even more important, we need an O line coach that can recruit and develop the way that Eck did. To be honest, I would want to see if there is anyone from the Wisconsin/Alvarez tree that is available, for the recruiting inroads into Wisconsin and the o line philosophy. If we have that on staff already, so be it. If not, let’s try to go get the best people we can.
    I don't know if anyone has encapsulated it better. Perfectly stated.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied
    Stig has made good hires in the past, but I feel like this is a pivotal set of hires to keep the program at the level we’ve been at. We need a competent OC that can call games based on the talent we have coming back. Perhaps even more important, we need an O line coach that can recruit and develop the way that Eck did. To be honest, I would want to see if there is anyone from the Wisconsin/Alvarez tree that is available, for the recruiting inroads into Wisconsin and the o line philosophy. If we have that on staff already, so be it. If not, let’s try to go get the best people we can.

Leave a comment:

• Prairiehaas
    replied
    Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

does it seem to anyone else that there is an awful lot of time here devoted to complaining about our teams? wouldnt it be nice if a little more time was devoted to celebrating them. we have far FAR more to celebrate than the huge majority of schools do
    More to celebrate than 124 other teams. Thirty years ago SDSU was a basketball school. Football was mediocre in good years and that had been going on for decades. Since then, well we all know the story of continual improvement in not just athletics, but also academics and facilities. There is much to celebrate at SDSU, all due to strong leadership.

Leave a comment:

• SDSUAlum08
    replied
    Ohlson isn’t getting the credit he deserves. On paper he looks great. He was an OC/recruiting coordinator at Bemidji St and they were really good this past year. He recruited those kids. I’ve never met him and I don’t know what he’s thought of within the program, but he has the credentials to take the next step.

Leave a comment:

• salemjack
    replied
    Well we aren’t the only team losing assistants, NDSU D line coach heading to Colorado State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• LetsGoRabbits
    replied
    Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
    How about not having co-coordinators anymore on offense or defense. Bad idea. Bergstrom got his D2 HC job so leave Rogers as DC. Stig doesn’t seem to make tough decisions and doesn’t want to ruffle feathers so he uses the co-coordinator concept. If it’s such a great idea then why don’t other programs use it? Maybe HC should be co-HC then as well.
    Exactly how often has he used the co coordinator concept? MAYBE one other time in his 27 year VERY SUCCESSFUL stint as HC. i think maybe when brown first became DC i think we might have had co DC for a bit. cannot remember the other guys name, but he left within a year or two and brown became sole DC and i am almost positive there has never been another example. i think we are a long long way from being able to even pretend that this is something that happens a lot

not to mention, since JR and BB were named co coordinator the defense has undoubtedly improved. the DB really did not have a good year this year, but they were very good last year. and obviously BB is that position coach and should take some heat for their shortcomings, but injuries also were VERY unhelpful. but again, it is really NOT possible to say that the defense has not improved under the current coordinator setup

that said, i am excited to see what JR will do as sole DC and my expectations are good. they should be for anyone who sees him as potentially the next HC.

as for the Stig and making decisions thing, do you have some research to back this? i think if we are being honest, we can see more than several tough decisions he has made just in the last few years. anyway we have an entire thread devoted to ripping or supporting Stig. maybe we can give this a rest for a couple minutes, but obviously we are all free to continue any conversation we choose for as long as we choose.

does it seem to anyone else that there is an awful lot of time here devoted to complaining about our teams? wouldnt it be nice if a little more time was devoted to celebrating them. we have far FAR more to celebrate than the huge majority of schools do

Leave a comment:

• NWHSUandSDSU
    replied
    Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    The past year Assistant Coach salary range ($41,000-$95,000; high end was Eck as lone Offensive Coordinator).
    Website of all state employees if anyone wants to look at each coach. https://open.sd.gov/employees.aspx

Leave a comment:

• UWMandSDSU
    replied
    The past year Assistant Coach salary range ($41,000-$95,000; high end was Eck as lone Offensive Coordinator).

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied
    Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
    How about not having co-coordinators anymore on offense or defense. Bad idea. Bergstrom got his D2 HC job so leave Rogers as DC. Stig doesn’t seem to make tough decisions and doesn’t want to ruffle feathers so he uses the co-coordinator concept. If it’s such a great idea then why don’t other programs use it? Maybe HC should be co-HC then as well.
    then they can be co-conspirators

Leave a comment:

• Hareofthedog
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X