Coaching Staff Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

All of the problems we have are good ones. We have become a perennial contender as where for decades we were very average. That means coaches will get bigger opportunities and we need to find other quality people to fill their places. Heck, that is what you want. If not, you probably aren't doing very well.

So, you hear comments like what Backus it would be great to know more specifics. However, the only part of that which is really any of our business is the fans aspect. We keep getting better every year but when you look at some of the other top teams, we have a long way to go. {[url/]https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-fcs-football-programs-have-the-best-home-attendance-27b4dd82b7b6[/url] That article shows FCS attendance for 2020.

#1 Montana - 24,055
    #4 NDSU - 18,186
    #6 Montana State - 17,910
    #16 SDSU - 11,959

In 2021, we averaged 14,166 per game according to the box scores for each of the home games. That would put us at #11 on the list for 2020. Sorry, couldn't find a list on google for 2021 numbers. We draw well for Hobo Day and NDSU but the rest there a lot of open seats, We saw the atmosphere in Bozeman. We know what it is like in Fargo. The difference is that those fan bases bring it every week!

I love how far we have come to get to this point. My gosh, the improvement in facilities, the improvement in the quality of athletes at the FCS level versus D2, and even better attendance. But getting back to Backus comments, who knows what those final ingredients are but we are close. Filling the Dana is what we can do! For all the games!

SUPERBUNNY
    I hear you on the attendance, but the team plays a part in that too. Take this year for example. We blew a 20 point lead against SIU and then had the debacle in Vermillion after we beat NDSU.

The fans showed this year. Prior to the UND game I think I read our average attendance was over 14k. That's pretty damn good. But the let downs year after year take the wind out of those sails to a degree. Zimmer and Gaskins discussed this topic in one of their podcasts.

Also, if anyone hasn't listened to that podcast it's pretty good and they talk alot of Jackrabbit stuff. FWIW, Zimmer made the comment he thought the Jacks had the most talented team in FCS this year and he's generally not a homer.

Comment

• With regarding attendance it has alot to do with population. Brookings doesn't even have half the population that Bozeman and Missoula. We need to pull more from sioux falls. Which is hard since we are competing against USF Augie and usd. I know its not a bad drive I drive 100mi from the Mitchell SD area. I know that down south there are schools with a small population that have big draws, but football down south is different its a religion down there. I friend of mine who is a Auburn fan says football Friday, Saturday, and church on Sunday.
      Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

• Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I hear you on the attendance, but the team plays a part in that too. Take this year for example. We blew a 20 point lead against SIU and then had the debacle in Vermillion after we beat NDSU.

The fans showed this year. Prior to the UND game I think I read our average attendance was over 14k. That's pretty damn good. But the let downs year after year take the wind out of those sails to a degree. Zimmer and Gaskins discussed this topic in one of their podcasts.

Also, if anyone hasn't listened to that podcast it's pretty good and they talk al ot of Jackrabbit stuff. FWIW, Zimmer made the comment he thought the Jacks had the most talented team in FCS this year and he's generally not a homer.
        As I mentioned in my prior post, the attendance is trending the right way for sure. Still a long way to go. We have a top 5 program and top 20 attendance with the best facility in all of FCS.

And as Gojacks2487 mentions, there is no question the population of Brookings is a factor that makes drawing sellout crowds a challenge. It is what it is and isn't going to change much, So what can be done to bring more people?

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
          So what can be done to bring more people?

SUPERBUNNY
          I wouldn't think it would be too much of a cost to get a dedicated bus from Sioux Falls for game day. Start with 1 bus. Charge $1-2 for the fare with a game ticket, $5 fare if you don't have a ticket. Easy way to get people to the game and save them some of the game day hassle.
          Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
          -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

• Originally posted by salemjack View Post
            The fact Schluesner picked Idaho over us makes me mad. I get it, maybe a turn around at Idaho will help him get a bigger job faster than continuing the success here at SDSU, but I forget this decision if he’s ever in the conversation for anything here ever again. It also reminds me why it’s advantageous to hire people who bleed yellow and blue, like Rogers and Bobbit. Our success will continue regardless of assistant coaches due to the continued investment and dedication of everyone around the program. GBGBGJ
            I'm not saying your wrong, as you are entitled to your own feelings. But try not to read too much into it.

Maybe he was just closer with Coach Eck than Coach Stig? (certainly could be, they have worked very closely together the last 3 years as Passing Game and Running game coordinators)

Maybe he liked the idea of living in Moscow, Idaho? (It's a beautiful town, located near WSU and Spokane too.)

(It's much warmer out there, too. Yes, they have winter...but not like we do.)

I mean, there are all kinds of reasons for him to make the leap. SDSU expectations are really high, Idaho, not so much... maybe he didn't want to fill Eck's shoes?

Comment

• Originally posted by salemjack View Post
              The fact Schluesner picked Idaho over us makes me mad. I get it, maybe a turn around at Idaho will help him get a bigger job faster than continuing the success here at SDSU, but I forget this decision if he’s ever in the conversation for anything here ever again. It also reminds me why it’s advantageous to hire people who bleed yellow and blue, like Rogers and Bobbit. Our success will continue regardless of assistant coaches due to the continued investment and dedication of everyone around the program. GBGBGJ
              I do not know either of them nor their families at all, but just from following them all on social media platforms, I am under the impression that they and their families are very good friends. They've been together at Mankato and SDSU and are probably best friends in and out of work, along with their wives. I'm sure that factors in.

Or maybe it's a complete resume builder move- show that he can be successful in two of the top FCS conferences that each play a slightly different style (although the Big Sky is maybe becoming a bit more like MVFC (defense, run game, etc.)), add a new region and recruiting territory to his resume, etc.

Maybe Stig offered him Co-OC, handling passing game and Olson handling run game, while Eck offered him full control.

Maybe he'd rather live in a beautiful mountain town. Who knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post

I do not know either of them nor their families at all, but just from following them all on social media platforms, I am under the impression that they and their families are very good friends. They've been together at Mankato and SDSU and are probably best friends in and out of work, along with their wives. I'm sure that factors in.

Or maybe it's a complete resume builder move- show that he can be successful in two of the top FCS conferences that each play a slightly different style (although the Big Sky is maybe becoming a bit more like MVFC (defense, run game, etc.)), add a new region and recruiting territory to his resume, etc.

Maybe Stig offered him Co-OC, handling passing game and Olson handling run game, while Eck offered him full control.

Maybe he'd rather live in a beautiful mountain town. Who knows.
                Successful programs have to replace assistants all the time. I would never begrudge a coach from taking an opportunity. Think of Alabama, how often does he have to replace an o-coordinator or D-coordinator? Almost every other year. We can attract many up can coming coaches, we have a core that will likely be here for years and hopefully take over. I trust we will deliver with strong coaching candidates.

Comment

• Looks we like we won’t have co-coordinators after all. Lujan is listed at the OC/QB coach/ Recruiting coordinator and Ryan Olson is listed as OL coach/run game coordinator

Comment

• https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...079076361?s=21

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackwagon View Post
                      I'm going to throw out Josh Davis into the mix. Strong ties to the Jacks. What he has done at NW is pretty impressive. Plus, I think he is guys who we can hold onto for while.
                      Just saw a tweet from Josh announcing that he is leaving Northwestern. Doesn't say where he is going, but something to keep an eye on.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Just saw a tweet from Josh announcing that he is leaving Northwestern. Doesn't say where he is going, but something to keep an eye on.
                        Well.... here is what his twitter bio reads.
                        Blessed Husband of Britt, Father of Isabel and Reese. Pass Game Coordinator - Wide Receiver's Coach - South Dakota State University

https://twitter.com/Coach_JDavis?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Comment

• It’s official now that Davis has been hired as WR Coach and pass game coordinator. Bobbit is also returning to SDSU to coach safeties and oversee recruiting, while coach Meyers is coming from Oklahoma State (most experience with O Line previously) to coach TEs.

I am confused on what exactly is happening with the offensive coordinator role. At one time it seemed like Lujan and Olsen were splitting duties, then it seemed like Lujan was going to be the sole play caller, and now with Davis as passing game Coordinator, I’m not sure.

Is Lujan the OC with the other two under him? That seems weird to me when Davis was an OC previously and was the receivers coach when Lujan was playing here and literally was involved in coaching him. Maybe I’m reading into this too much, but the whole set up seems odd with the co-coordinators and now Davis back on staff, essentially in his old position.

Most of the hires Stig has made have worked out, but I’m not really seeing it with this set up. I hope it works out. The talent will be there for these coaches to work with.

Comment

• Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post

Well.... here is what his twitter bio reads.
                            Blessed Husband of Britt, Father of Isabel and Reese. Pass Game Coordinator - Wide Receiver's Coach - South Dakota State University

https://twitter.com/Coach_JDavis?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
                            I love it when I am right. This is a big move. This is a guy we ca keep around!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                              It’s official now that Davis has been hired as WR Coach and pass game coordinator. Bobbit is also returning to SDSU to coach safeties and oversee recruiting, while coach Meyers is coming from Oklahoma State (most experience with O Line previously) to coach TEs.

I am confused on what exactly is happening with the offensive coordinator role. At one time it seemed like Lujan and Olsen were splitting duties, then it seemed like Lujan was going to be the sole play caller, and now with Davis as passing game Coordinator, I’m not sure.

Is Lujan the OC with the other two under him? That seems weird to me when Davis was an OC previously and was the receivers coach when Lujan was playing here and literally was involved in coaching him. Maybe I’m reading into this too much, but the whole set up seems odd with the co-coordinators and now Davis back on staff, essentially in his old position.

Most of the hires Stig has made have worked out, but I’m not really seeing it with this set up. I hope it works out. The talent will be there for these coaches to work with.
                              Schleusner was an FCS OC prior to having what'll be Davis' new role, so I'm not sure it's as aberrant as one may think. What co-coordinators are you referring to?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackwagon View Post
                                I love it when I am right. This is a big move. This is a guy we ca keep around!
                                Glad you were right, and I'm excited to see what Bobbit brings

Comment

Working...
                                X