Eck Leaving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
    Eck is gone. Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports is reporting Eck is expected to accept the offer to be the Idaho head coach. Good luck in Moscow.
    No doubt this was on his mind today and 18-23 year olds can't be expected to drown this type of noise out, either.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

I think so too. Same with co=D coords. Need one person for each spot. Also I hope they take the time to do a good search. easily could fill with in. probably could find some great coaches who would really do well given the chance.
      I concur. I'd be a fan of having Rogers or Bergstrom "interview" to be full DC, assuming both remain on staff

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I concur. I'd be a fan of having Rogers or Bergstrom "interview" to be full DC, assuming both remain on staff
        No need for an interview as far as I’m concerned…Bergy may be a great guy but I don’t think he’s quite got it coaching wise. Rogers has my vote of confidence

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post

No need for an interview as far as I’m concerned…Bergy may be a great guy but I don’t think he’s quite got it coaching wise. Rogers has my vote of confidence
          I don't know enough about Bergstrom, but the fact he was co-DC suggests Stig felt he had more to offer than just safeties coach

I also have a pro-Rogers bias, to the extent I'd like to see him as eventual HC, so I figure that should be "checked"

Comment

You would think that when Stig decides to retire, the admin would feel like the program just needs somebody to keep things going or to take the one final step, depending on how the next couple/ several years go. it seem doubtful they would be looking for anyone to come in and make significant changes

that all would point in the direction of hiring someone with ties to the current program, much in the way that ndsu has hired the last two HC from within because if it aint broke do NOT fix it

if the admin is thinking the same way then gotta figure frontrunners are Eidsness, Jackson, Rodgers, and Eck. dark horse Lujan. for me, i think Lujan needs more experience. Eck scares me too much as a play caller so it makes me scared to hand him control of the whole thing, but i guess we will see what he does in Idaho.

i think i would feel VERY good about any of the other three. would Eids or Jackson take the paycut to come back??? if not then JR is the guy. you could argue that the LB group is consistently as good or better than any other position group on the team so if he can translate that to the whole team then giddyup

I think Eck did move the O Line play to another level and that helped to move our program to another level, but i think doing two jobs diminished both of them. i highly doubt Stig will look for another OL/ OC combo but at the time Eck was the obvious choice for OC. who knows why they did not get another coach to do the o line

anyway, i appreciate what he has done for this program and i wish him the best

Comment

I’d kinda believe Eck was given the OC as a way to groom him to move up as well as appease him from looking elsewhere. He may end up being a very good coach. Just at times his playcalling is a head scratcher.

as far as Bergy…I think he’s a fine man, high character, possibly a good leader. But I wonder about the technique he’s coaching, the adjustments he makes to the back end during a game. I just don’t see that. Maybe I’m missing something.

Comment

Good teams lose assistant coaches. That's a positive problem. It's better than being stuck with assistants no other team wants. Departures create opportunities to bring in fresh talent to the coaching ranks, which might help the Jacks reload after losing 21
                seniors and super seniors. Eck had a good, six-year run at SDSU. Maybe his successor will be better.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Eck is a great coach and we’ll miss him, but losing assistants is part of winning. He brought some swagger to SDSU that we had never seen before.

I agree with Bergstrom. The secondary was the worst part of this team this year and that’s his group. Not sure he’s proved he can get it done.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

As much as I’ve questioned Coach Eck and playcalling I truly believe he was a big reason why SDSU made strides to get to the Semi’s. I wish he and his family nothing but the best in their move to potato country. Thanks Coach Eck for everything.

Comment

Working...
                    X