X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigticket1
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    I think the idea of a Spring season is an absolute fallacy and I seriously doubt that a playoff championship for FCS will be happening in May. Personally, I think I'd rather just play a conference (Or Dakota-Montana only) schedule this fall and call it. Spring playoffs seem far fetched at best.
    I agree on the spring schedule. I have doubts that the eastern (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio) Valley schools will play this fall. The regional cross-conference fall schedule sounds like the best possible solution available.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Reports out that both Big Sky and Pioneer are not playing this fall. That should just about do it.
    Pioneer faced an uphill slog in terms of resources, geographic dispersion, and locations in states/localities experiencing increased incidence.

Be interesting to see influence Patty V. being dual MVFC-Pioneer commish had on today's events (e.g., allowing the Valley to "punt" on the decision knowing Pioneer would likely cancel season)
    Last edited by jakejc795; 08-07-2020, 05:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied
    I think the idea of a Spring season is an absolute fallacy and I seriously doubt that a playoff championship for FCS will be happening in May. Personally, I think I'd rather just play a conference (Or Dakota-Montana only) schedule this fall and call it. Spring playoffs seem far fetched at best.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied
    Reports out that both Big Sky and Pioneer are not playing this fall. That should just about do it.

Leave a comment:

• Jacked_Up
    replied
    I suspect you're right, YF. It's increasingly difficult to see how football can be safely played this fall, at least at non-pro levels. The spring of 2021 might be a pipe dream, too. Today's news includes reports that eight UCLA players have tested positive for the virus. Covid-19 cases appear to be on the upswing across the U.S.

Leave a comment:

• yoteforever
    replied
    Big Sky AD’s have recommended to their presidents a spring schedule. 2020 is TOAST

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied
    Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnddddd... The ambiguity continues:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamHerder...36987848359941

The NCAA is such a joke. Just make a decision. How can all these teams expect to jump all in on fall camp this week and next, knowing that their season might get cancelled on the 21st? Absolute cowardice. There is a clause in their statement that if 50% or more of a divisions teams postpone fall sports, the championship will not occur. Right now, there are 6 FCS conferences (of 13 total) that have made that call. However, even within those conferences, there are still a few schools that are going to try to play. If we can keep 65 schools as a go for the fall, maybe we can play it out. The Valley and Big Sky account for 24 teams alone. The Big South and OVC add 16 more, for a total of 40. The Pioneer adds 9 and the Southland 11, for a running total of 60. The Socon adds 9, but their are rumors that several schools don't want to proceed this fall. Add in the Independents (3), JMU, Nova, and Elon and the best possible total is 75 schools.

If one more conference fold this fall, or enough schools decide to cancel on their own, its all over. The CAA postponing really killed it.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied
    Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    The NCAA is supposedly announcing a decision regarding the FCS playoffs tomorrow.
    Annoucing ndsu champs again basically nullifying the need for a season.....what a nightmare.....or daymare. For that matter.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied
    The NCAA is supposedly announcing a decision regarding the FCS playoffs tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied
    Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
    Now being told there’s a good chance they may delay decision till August 19th. A lot of moving pieces. I think there’s a real threat the Power 5 sees this as a great opportunity to begin their pull away from the NCAA. If the committee allows football but cancels other fall sports such as volleyball, then there’s the real possibility of legal action from minor and women’s sports. Title IX implications. This is without a doubt a total mess.

i can’t see the Big Sky being for a spring schedule. I would guess you’d prefer to play this fall as opposed to a March start given historic tempature averages and you having an outdoor stadium ( this is not a slam ). USD, UNI, NDSU, and UND with indoor facilities can probably accommodate a spring schedule. And yes I know you could as well but it certainly wouldn’t be like a fall day with temps in the 60’s.

There’s also the issue of a spring injury and wiping out not only spring but fall as well given the short turnaround time. All in all....I vote let’s play. The kids want to and if you’re of the age or health risk that concerns you, watch it on tv. Tough decisions for all.
    Agreed. At this point, of teams and conferences want to play, let them. That was the point of this thread: if the NCAA continues to delay, just try to do a separate tournament this fall for post season and let them keep delaying.

For the remaining conferences in this thing, I think they should play the schedule they have in front and maybe add some conference games from schools not originally on the schedule if possible (ISUr for the Jacks?) and go from there. Spring is a bad idea, and I have yet to hear anyone provide any solid information as to what exactly will be solved about covid by then. We aren't going to have a vaccine, and the virus clearly doesn't slow down when the weather warms up. Spring gains nothing and can hurt a whole bunch of other things.

Just play the damn games.

Leave a comment:

• yoteforever
    replied
    Now being told there’s a good chance they may delay decision till August 19th. A lot of moving pieces. I think there’s a real threat the Power 5 sees this as a great opportunity to begin their pull away from the NCAA. If the committee allows football but cancels other fall sports such as volleyball, then there’s the real possibility of legal action from minor and women’s sports. Title IX implications. This is without a doubt a total mess.

i can’t see the Big Sky being for a spring schedule. I would guess you’d prefer to play this fall as opposed to a March start given historic tempature averages and you having an outdoor stadium ( this is not a slam ). USD, UNI, NDSU, and UND with indoor facilities can probably accommodate a spring schedule. And yes I know you could as well but it certainly wouldn’t be like a fall day with temps in the 60’s.

There’s also the issue of a spring injury and wiping out not only spring but fall as well given the short turnaround time. All in all....I vote let’s play. The kids want to and if you’re of the age or health risk that concerns you, watch it on tv. Tough decisions for all.

Leave a comment:

• yoteforever
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

Do you have a source or is that your assumption? It might be correct, but I'm not sure what indication has been given that the direction they will go will be to postpone. A little birdy told me that USD, as a school, is postponing football for the fall. And that they supposedly told all the Yote players as much about a week and a half ago. I cant substantiate that, and I'd be shocked if USD took that step without knowing that the conference as whole was doing the same. But schools are doing what's best for them, whatever that might be. At this point, unless the NCAA says no fall championships, the Valley seems like they are going to do everything in their power to play the schedule and post season this fall. I have no confidence in the NCAA or the FCS reps they have on the board (Ivy, NEC, and MEAC), all of whom have already edited to play in the spring and two of the three dont even participate in the playoffs anyways. Very unfortunate representation and timing with the current situation.
    I do have a source. NCAA board is meeting Monday and Tuesday and announcement is expected to be Tuesday night.

Regarding your statement on USD football not playing even if the rest of the league does is total BS. USD is planning to go to Ames Sept. 5th for the game against Iowa State and I believe will be played UNLESS the NCAA board nixes it, which is what I’ve been told Friday afternoon. I agree with your assessment of the FCS reps but in this world we live in doing what’s right vs what’s politically correct are 2 different things.

For what it’s worth, my source also told me the PAC-12 players were going to make a bold statement on Monday. Well it came out yesterday because it was leaked. If I had to bet I’d bet football will be in the spring.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied
    Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
    By Tuesday night all FCS football will be played in the spring
    Do you have a source or is that your assumption? It might be correct, but I'm not sure what indication has been given that the direction they will go will be to postpone. A little birdy told me that USD, as a school, is postponing football for the fall. And that they supposedly told all the Yote players as much about a week and a half ago. I cant substantiate that, and I'd be shocked if USD took that step without knowing that the conference as whole was doing the same. But schools are doing what's best for them, whatever that might be. At this point, unless the NCAA says no fall championships, the Valley seems like they are going to do everything in their power to play the schedule and post season this fall. I have no confidence in the NCAA or the FCS reps they have on the board (Ivy, NEC, and MEAC), all of whom have already edited to play in the spring and two of the three dont even participate in the playoffs anyways. Very unfortunate representation and timing with the current situation.

Leave a comment:

• yoteforever
    replied
    By Tuesday night all FCS football will be played in the spring

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    My thought was that the refs might become more leery if the NCAA announces next week that they're opting not to have FCS playoffs.

There's also been criticism for several weeks among some that athletics depts. have enhanced testing access when general public does not

Leave a comment:

Working...
X