Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied
    The NCAA collects a percentage if the gate revenue from FCS playoff games, and they pay for travel (which is why the bus vs. Flight thing is such a factor in the early round pairings). So yes and no as to paying for the post season. I also don't know why the officials would back out if they had been officiating all FCS and FBS ganes up to the post season, which it appears (as of 7-31) they are willing to do. Added costs of 3 more flights, assuming your team advances far into the post season, are probably a wash of you get to keep the entire gate revenue from a home game. Of course, in the Covid World, who knows if or how much gate revenue from fans would actually be collected.

I thinj the cost would not be prohibitive for most of the conferences left playing, with the noted exception that FBS money games going away could impact that.. Not to mention the fact that many schools only have 8 or 9 games on the calendar at the moment, and some of those lost games were supposed to away games in which travel was already budgeted for. Replacing the lost road games with a few road playoff games may be a wash for some schools.

Leave a comment:

• jakejc795
    replied
    The NCAA pays officials and funds travel, correct?

If so, do you think conferences could afford to pay for that with adding testing?

Plus, if the NCAA opts to forego FCS playoffs, I could see officials balking unless they receive hazard pay, insurance, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    started a topic Hypothetical National Title Fornat

Hypothetical National Title Fornat

Given the extreme lack of leadership and perpetual ambiguity shown by the NCAA regarding the playoff format for FCS this fall (or spring), a thought crossed my mind.

If the FBS champion is determined by a non-NCAA sanctioned College Football Playoff Committee, why do the 8 of 13 FCS conferences that are still planning to play this fall need an NCAA sanctioned playoff format? If the NCAA remains absent in determining how the championship will work, why don't the remaining conferences that want to play this fall agree to a one year playoff format that allows them to crown a champion this fall. They won't be official NCAA champions, but neither is LSU. To be clear, the conferences would follow NCAA guidelines and compliance throughout the process. Im not talking about breaking away from the organization. Just holding a tournament that isn't sanctioned by the NCAA. At the moment, we have five conferences vying for spring ball, and 3 of them don't even participate in the post season. It seems that the power position still lies with the 8 fall conferences to either force the hand of the NCAA or hold their own tournament.

I'm just so disgusted that the NCAA let these conferences move to the spring before making a division wide mandate. What if the fall championshios do happen? Those schools are SOL I guess. And what of the 8 remaining conferences postponpostponing with the hopes of a spring playoff, only to have that delayed or cancelled? It's apparent to me that all of these conferences that still haven't made an announcement pbviously want a fall season. To me, it just seems simpler to forget about the NCAA FCS playoffs and hold our own tournament. If schools from the conferences that have already cancelled want to play an independent schedule and participate, eo be it. If not, see you in fall of 2021 (hopefully).

Is there a reason why this won't work?
Working...
X