2020 National Title Favorites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 National Title Favorites

I'm feeling optimistic that there will actually be a football season this fall, so let's get some discussion going on next year's teams.

RULES:
    1) The season is actually played
    2) This is the 10 best teams, not necessarily who you think will be in the Top 10 Coaches'/Stats poll at the beginning of the year, which, as we know, can be, way off base.

Here's mine:

1. NDSU - There's no major reason to think they take a step back
    2. SDSU - If we stay healthy, our returning numbers look fantastic.. Schedule is tougher this year with road games @ NDSU, UNI.
    3. Montana State - I'm not entirely sure what they lost this off-season, but I believe Anderson is coming back and they are a program trending up.
    4. Montana - They lost Dalton Sneed, but the Griz were probably a year ahead of schedule last year, and they still made it to the quarterfinals.
    5. Weber - Also had some losses in the off-season, but there's no reason to think they take a big drop.
    6. UNI - They lost their TE, but return quite a few others. Favorable schedule with SDSU and NDSU at home.
    7. JMU - They lost a ton in the off-season, and 2018 proved that they don't just bounce straight back after the loss of a big senior class.
    8. Nova - I believe their stud QB (Danny?) is coming back. They had a lot of early momentum last year before fading away.. if they return a decent amount, i could see them winning the CAA and making the top 5.
    9. APSU - Again, not sure what they bring back, but the coach is back and they are trending up.
    10. KSU - I bagged on KSU all year last year, but they went into Ogden and nearly upset Weber in the round of 16 with a young team. They should be very good again and will sail through their conference schedule. I still don't consider them worthy of a top 5 ranking now or in the past, but i think they'll be a fixture in the top 12 or so for several years.

Thoughts and discussion?

Post yours, or feel free to provide info on some of those teams and their returning nunbers.

FWIW, Hero Sports has the Jacks at #2 in their preseason top 25. If the team stays healthy and fixes their turnover problem from last season, I see no reason to disagree with that assesment.

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/footbal...on-top-25-bzbz

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
      FWIW, Hero Sports has the Jacks at #2 in their preseason top 25. If the team stays healthy and fixes their turnover problem from last season, I see no reason to disagree with that assesment.

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/footbal...on-top-25-bzbz
      Curious about possible impact of Jacks' early bye. Extra week leading to upset in Lincoln would be awesome (assuming they don't scrap OOC games), but I'd rather have the bye after the Huskers.

UNI didn't face PSJ for full game last year, so I'm optimistic, and I think the Jacks stand a decent chance of knocking the Bison down a peg or two.

UNI having the bye prior to Jacks' could complicate things, but they also face Weber State and NDSU consecutively, so their Sept. could be very illuminating.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Curious about possible impact of Jacks' early bye. Extra week leading to upset in Lincoln would be awesome (assuming they don't scrap OOC games), but I'd rather have the bye after the Huskers.

UNI didn't face PSJ for full game last year, so I'm optimistic, and I think the Jacks stand a decent chance of knocking the Bison down a peg or two.

UNI having the bye prior to Jacks' could complicate things, but they also face Weber State and NDSU consecutively, so their Sept. could be very illuminating.
        I think our bye this year falls at a weird time. For the next several years, our bye week is going to bounce around pretty often. I think 2022 will put the bye in the last or second to last week of the season. I'd rather that bye fall at the end of September every year.

UNI will be tough, but I dont have a lot of faith in their offensive ability. If UNI can go through September at 3-1, they should be a lock for a top 8 seed. I think UNI will do what they usually do though and go 2-2 or 1-3 and be in playoff mode from the 1st of October on.

I will also say that if NDSU is going to be kept from the natty this year, SDSU and UNI both need to beat them. Two FCS losses would probably cost them home field in the semi's, which is huge for keeping them from repeating.

Comment

I think our bye this year falls at a weird time. For the next several years, our bye week is going to bounce around pretty often. I think 2022 will put the bye in the last or second to last week of the season. I'd rather that bye fall at the end of September every year.

UNI will be tough, but I dont have a lot of faith in their offensive ability. If UNI can go through September at 3-1, they should be a lock for a top 8 seed. I think UNI will do what they usually do though and go 2-2 or 1-3 and be in playoff mode from the 1st of October on.

I will also say that if NDSU is going to be kept from the natty this year, SDSU and UNI both need to beat them. Two FCS losses would probably cost them home field in the semi's, which is huge for keeping them from repeating.
          Yeah, looks like bye's 9/18 in 2021. I'm not seeing a bye in 2022.

Suppose I can't disagree regarding seeding, as that'd mean they'd have knocked off either Weber State or Iowa. McElvain is the wild card for me. My anti-UNI bias has me thinking he regresses. Plus, his style of play increases injury risk

As for the Bison, I would love to see UND beat them too, and if the 'Yotes beating them keeps them out of the playoffs, I'd be for that too (yes, I realize I'm probably in the minority there)

Comment

Imo a late season bye wouldn't be too bad. It could help us get healthy for the playoffs and it could potentially shift a home game from November to September.

Comment

https://athlonsports.com/college-foo...cs-top-25-2020

Athlon preseason poll. Jacks #6, UNI #2.

I don't known if the jacks are worthy of a top 2 ranking going into 2020 or not, but I have zero faith in UNI suddenly becoming capable on offense enough to warrant their top 2 ranking in this poll. UNI has done nothing in the past decade to indicate that they are balanced enough to make a deep run. I could be wrong, but it seems to be very assuming to think that Farley will suddenly decide to emphasize the offensive side of the ball. UNI hasn't made it past the quarterfinals this decade and I don't think 2020 will be the year to break that trend. Doesn't mean they won't be a very tough out this year, but I dont see them making a deep run in the postseason.

Comment

https://athlonsports.com/college-foo...cs-top-25-2020

Athlon preseason poll. Jacks #6, UNI #2.

I don't known if the jacks are worthy of a top 2 ranking going into 2020 or not, but I have zero faith in UNI suddenly becoming capable on offense enough to warrant their top 2 ranking in this poll. UNI has done nothing in the past decade to indicate that they are balanced enough to make a deep run. I could be wrong, but it seems to be very assuming to think that Farley will suddenly decide to emphasize the offensive side of the ball. UNI hasn't made it past the quarterfinals this decade and I don't think 2020 will be the year to break that trend. Doesn't mean they won't be a very tough out this year, but I dont see them making a deep run in the postseason.
                Seemed like he was basing UNI's ranking on combination of 2019 record, defense, and number of returning starters.

Dom Williams, a RB transfer from KU was mentioned, but I don't see him listed on the 2020 roster or on UNI's football "news" site (where they mention Kyle Fourtenbary, an incoming TE transfer from WKU) despite Williams tweeting regarding commitment three months ago.

Could be nothing more than them not having photos, as it looks like Fourtenbary isn't on roster yet either.

Comment

Any thoughts on JD Spielman (prospective Husker transfer) being on ranked FCS teams' radar? Heck, his dad's a Saluki alum.

If teams are interested, might feeling be mutual (particularly if gamble doesn't pay off and NCAA denies waiver to play immediately at FBS level for someone like Gophers)?

Comment

I'd be shocked to see Spielman at an FCS school. He wants to improve his stock for the NFL and that means exposure on TV and against the highest level of opponent as possible. Otherwise he'd have stayed and gone over 1,000 yards for the Huskers. (Not a school with a tradition of 1,000 yard receivers as Stanley Morgan, Jr has the lone season with 1,004 yards in 2018.)

Spielman had 200 yard receiving games against Ohio State and Wisconsin, so he could have realistically crushed the all-time receiving records for the Huskers and would have been in position to be a day two draft pick. Going to an FCS program will not improve on that. Expect him to end up in the Big 12 as I don't know if Frost would allow him to become a Gopher or go to any other Big Ten school.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                      I'd be shocked to see Spielman at an FCS school. He wants to improve his stock for the NFL and that means exposure on TV and against the highest level of opponent as possible. Otherwise he'd have stayed and gone over 1,000 yards for the Huskers. (Not a school with a tradition of 1,000 yard receivers as Stanley Morgan, Jr has the lone season with 1,004 yards in 2018.)

Spielman had 200 yard receiving games against Ohio State and Wisconsin, so he could have realistically crushed the all-time receiving records for the Huskers and would have been in position to be a day two draft pick. Going to an FCS program will not improve on that. Expect him to end up in the Big 12 as I don't know if Frost would allow him to become a Gopher or go to any other Big Ten school.
                      One complication at FBS level would be if he is denied a waiver, as he's already redshirted.

Comment

One complication at FBS level would be if he is denied a waiver, as he's already redshirted.
                        Is this a grad transfer since he redshirted?
                        Rollin' in my 5.0
                        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post

The way it sounds, he isn't that close to graduating.

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post

At least one report says no.

Comment

Any thoughts on JD Spielman (prospective Husker transfer) being on ranked FCS teams' radar? Heck, his dad's a Saluki alum.

If teams are interested, might feeling be mutual (particularly if gamble doesn't pay off and NCAA denies waiver to play immediately at FBS level for someone like Gophers)?
                              On a Facebook group, there was discussion and the possibility of JD showing up in Fargo. A good possibility if no FBS comes through. JD is small and I don’t think he will last long in the bone crushing NFL. Heaven help us if he ends up In MVFC.

Comment

Working...
                              X