SDSU's Biggest Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU's Biggest Win

I'm just testing out a bug fix but I'm curious to see what you guys think SDSU's biggest ever football win was?

Note: looks like the bug fix worked - you can use avatars now.

For other Jackrabbits fans to find this board, I'm going to have to do a Jackrabbit page to link to it. Any ideas for what you'd like to see. I was going to start with a page just like this (except in SDSU's colors and with none of the NDSU-specific information): SDSU page

Re: SDSU's Biggest Win

That page looks great, go for it.

As far as the biggest win, it has to be the 1985 Hobo Day game against USD. It was a hot day (I wore shorts to the game) in October, USD was ranked #1 in the nation and we beat them 24-12 in front of a record crowd at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium (16,000 + can't remember the exact count). It was awesome! ;D

Comment

I agree the 1985 win was big and its the game that has set an attendence record at Coughlin. I believe 16000 and change.

Way before my time, SDSU went to Madison Wisc on the train and beat the Badgers by a TD. This one was big and most of the players are now 80 something. Many are no longer living. Some one else mentioned  this game on another thread, but it is still big. It is the only Big 10 win in history. I believe it was 1935.

What would have been a big game was 1993 against the Montana Grizz. We lead 38-7 going into the 4th quarter. When the Grizz woke up. We had a linebacker hurt, Jeff Wolmgatt, that had been doing damage in the first half and without him we could not stop Montana. Plus the depth played a hand in giving them a wake up call.  This was one of many 7-4 seaons for Mike Daly, but we had wins over NDSU and UND something that has not happened in modern times very often.

Comment

I did a quick check and yes we did beat Wisconsin in 1935. The win was the highlight in an otherwise down year, but what a highlight!

Go State Go State!

Comment

89rabbit:
          Thanks, I beleive they had a team reunion a few years back.  But yes the rest of season was kind of downer
          for the Jacks.

I guestioned VJ Smith why he put Red Thredfold picture on the front of the STATE Magazine that include a big article on moving up to D1.  Red was the coach of that 1935 team. VJ said that some one else brought in a team picture from that same era, of the team taken in Wash DC, when they played Catholic U.

Catholic U does not currently have a football team, but they did in the 1930's and were very good.

I guess VJ feels that in the 1930's the coaches were not afraid to schedule over their heads and maybe thats the fear that the opponents of the move to D1aa seem to have vocalized loudly in the Brookings area.

Being in KC, you missed all the local politics about the move to D1AA. Some still have not gotten over the action. They feel its something they dont have a say in and its not on the ballot, as many feel it should be. But that is stupid, and hopefully behind us.

I feel many of our out of state Alums have not said much about the move, but if you live in a metro area, you can surely see the advantages for D1. I think we can handle the Kangaroos from UMKC.

I found on the internet that Troy State, that is now D1A is located in a town smaller than Brookings. In fact last summer I took a tour through Troy. The community as I understand put up some of the money needed to move from D2 to D1AA, and the they did so believing its a form of economic development. They are about 70 miles from Montegomery but have Mobile, Birmingham within 200 miles from Troy. So the size of Brookings is very much a mute issue. Its about how you view yourself as a viable community. Most of the leaders in Brookings are behind President Miller on this move, its the nobodys that like complain about everything that money.

Comment

SDSUFAN,

I did get to catch some of the local upheaval because I am from Brookings originally and still have family there.  The fact that I have seen other parts of the country (dad was in the Army) before and after high school and college gives me a good understanding of this situation.

Many of the good folks of South Dakota have an inferiority complex.  In their hearts they don't think we are good enough to have a D I program.  All they see are the big $$$ that places like Miami and Ohio St. spend and they say "how can we afford that".  If they took some time and understood what being D I/I AA means they would see that we have been a D I school trapped in a D II body for some time now.  

You are right, we are ready to beat the UMKC Roos today.  I can say this because I have seen them play.  We can be competitive with lots of D I mid-majors right now.  The advantage to that is how everyone will percieve us.  Not being in the region, people ask me where I went to School.  When I say South Dakota State, they usually say "never heard of it. . .how many kids go there"  when I tell them 10,000 they always go "wow".  They are expecting 500-2,500.  When you are D II athletically they think your whole University is insignificant.  This of course is not true but perception is reality.  

Lastly we will be successful where other may not because we will be the "only game in town".  Sioux Falls and the entire state (minus a few USD alums working at McDonald's) will rally behind us.  If Wyoming, Montana, and all other states in the Union, for that matter,  can have NCAA D I programs then why not South Dakota.

I can remember well when South Dakota was one, if not the only, state that didn't settle its high school football championship on the field.  It was going to cost to much. . .it would ruin football. . .and so on and so on.  I played in the third ever Championship (Go Bobcats) in 1983.  Its twenty years latter and no one would want to go back to the way things used to be.  I think many of the same kinds of thinking are involved with our moving to D I.  Twenty years from know people will think it is crazy that we even argued about it.

I hope you are right and the worst is behind us.  I am ready to make the jump and I say the sooner the better!!!

Lets Go Rabbits  

Comment

89rabbit
              Amen to what you said. I graduated from BHS in 1959. I was a classmate of the Late Bob Shelden. What a gifted individual, who died too young in 1962 from Hodgkins Disease.  We never matched the 1983 team, but did have a good year in 1958, tying Yankton and Luverne, and losing only to Mitchell, that included the major league player Richard Green of the A's fame. But yes, its time to be more progressive in our outlook.  I think 3M  relocating to Brookings was a key to change. If they had not come and I-29 had not been built, Brookings might be like Wayne, Nebraska a college town that is off the beaten path and is struggling to survive where the the college makes that town.

With Brookings, SDSU is a major player, but having 3M, Daktonics and others makes a big difference. Yes we need to reach out to Sioux Falls in a big fashion and not worry about their bad pheasant hunters who invade Brookings County each fall.

Comment

89rabbit:
                I know what you are experienceing with the South Dakota image.  I went through that all the time for 9 years in Chicago, 3 in Dayton Ohio and 3 in LA. Here in Nebaska, they at least know where Big Stone and the Missouri are for fishing, but many have no concept of Brookings. They know of SDSU only because SDSU is in the NCC.

Once while on Chicago Commuter train going down town to write the CPA exam, I wore a SDSU jacket. Once we got at the station, this lady came up to me and told me she about died when she saw my jacket. It turned out she was a SDSU grad who had not forgotten her roots.  But usually I got the same crappy reaction when you tell them you are from South Dakota. They usually say that they seen the Corn Palace and the Black Hills, but have no knowledge of SDSU.

A number of Chicagoans feel Iowa City is way out west, so they often have no concept of the Dakotas.  D1 sports could change that significantly

Comment

It would be interesting to hear from any player from the 1935 team and get their views on the game with Wisconsin, as well as their impressions of college football then and now. What an accomplishment to defeat a Big Ten team in football, or whatever they called the current Big Ten back then. I recall when North Dakota nearly beat the Gophers back in 73 or 74.

Comment

The seniors on that team would be 89 years old at this time assuming they were 22 years old in 1936. Many are gone on to their eternal maker. Getting one them to post here would be a feat.

Comment

89 Rabbit and SDSU Fan have written my sentiments to a T, when discussing the D1 move, I'm originally from Flandreau SD and grew up with SDSU sports, I currently live in Dallas, TX. and have the good fortune to travel the US extensively for my job (actually I'm not sure if its good fortune-maybe a curse) anyway, I attend a lot ofcollege football and basketball games and still catch 1-2 football and 6-8 basketball games in Brookings every year, what people in SD don't realize is we have been a D1 program for years trapped in D2. SDSU and NDSU could compete well right now with most mid-major basketball schools and hold our own with ALL 1AA schools, I watch the Southland Conference down here (Sam Houston St.,Stephen F. Austin, McNeese St. etc...) Its a good conference but We could fit right into it right now from a talent standpoint, in my opinion. and when it comes to basketball, we will draw better than half of D1 schools right away-Frost is a great arena that the majority of D1 schools would kill for. and as far as the atmosphere, only your big time conferences (ACC, Big Ten, SEC,etc..) can top it. I am so "jacked" up about our move up, I only wish we could have done it sooner (when UNI did).

Comment

As far as the biggest win... Definetly the 85 Hobo Day win against the U, If I remember right wasnt the U #1 in the nation "before" gametime? The temp was about 70degrees, sunny skies, 16,000+fans, It was my first Hobo day as a Freshman. -awesome game, I will never forget it.

Comment

The 1985 game was one that I missed as I was in a training phase in Washington DC. Did not have the internet to listen in on WNAX. I do remember listening to SDSU-St Cloud I believe the first week in November as I slide down I-90 from LaCrosse to Sioux Falls due to a big ice storm. I had hopes of making it to Brookings for game time, but when you are forced to travel 30 mph and to ride on the shoulder to get traction, you dont go fast.
                          1985 was a season from what I remember was one that could have been a NCC championship if we had not lost to MSU-Mankato. Same as 1996, one pass at the end of the game dropped and we did not win. So its time for a great season.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
                            As far as the biggest win... Definetly the 85 Hobo Day win against the U, If I remember right wasnt the U #1 in the nation "before" gametime? The temp was about 70degrees, sunny skies, 16,000+fans, It was my first Hobo day as a Freshman. -awesome game, I will never forget it.
                            Texas_Jacks_Fan,

I was a Sophomore, it was a great game to be in the Student Section!

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post

SDSUFAN,

I did get to catch some of the local upheaval because I am from Brookings originally and still have family there. The fact that I have seen other parts of the country (dad was in the Army) before and after high school and college gives me a good understanding of this situation.

Many of the good folks of South Dakota have an inferiority complex. In their hearts they don't think we are good enough to have a D I program. All they see are the big $$$ that places like Miami and Ohio St. spend and they say "how can we afford that". If they took some time and understood what being D I/I AA means they would see that we have been a D I school trapped in a D II body for some time now.

You are right, we are ready to beat the UMKC Roos today. I can say this because I have seen them play. We can be competitive with lots of D I mid-majors right now. The advantage to that is how everyone will percieve us. Not being in the region, people ask me where I went to School. When I say South Dakota State, they usually say "never heard of it. . .how many kids go there" when I tell them 10,000 they always go "wow". They are expecting 500-2,500. When you are D II athletically they think your whole University is insignificant. This of course is not true but perception is reality.

Lastly we will be successful where other may not because we will be the "only game in town". Sioux Falls and the entire state (minus a few USD alums working at McDonald's) will rally behind us. If Wyoming, Montana, and all other states in the Union, for that matter, can have NCAA D I programs then why not South Dakota.

I can remember well when South Dakota was one, if not the only, state that didn't settle its high school football championship on the field. It was going to cost to much. . .it would ruin football. . .and so on and so on. I played in the third ever Championship (Go Bobcats) in 1983. Its twenty years latter and no one would want to go back to the way things used to be. I think many of the same kinds of thinking are involved with our moving to D I. Twenty years from know people will think it is crazy that we even argued about it.

I hope you are right and the worst is behind us. I am ready to make the jump and I say the sooner the better!!!

Lets Go Rabbits
                              I was doing a deep dive this Sunday morning and found this thread and this post in particularly very interesting. 19 years ago, 89Rabbit called it. We all think it’s crazy that moving up was ever a debate. I’m not trying to start another FBS debate, just reflecting and celebrating two decades of some amazing sports memories.

Comment

Working...
                              X