2005 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2005 Recruits

Concerning  the recruit from Pittsburgh CA (Joseph Blackman), and his coaches suggestion that there are in his opinion "3 of the best players still looking for D1 teams".  It would be nice if we had two classmates coming to the Jacks from that school, as it may make the transition to South Dakota and SDSU easier if there is a familiar face to go along. I don't know if we have needs at any of the positions that those kids played. Our coaches are pros at this type of thing, and I'm just throwing it out for discussion.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, sounds like you could get these kids "on the cheap".  It might go along ways with Blackman and their coach as well.  Never a bad thing, if we have a need and scholarships to give.  Here is a link, that I have posted before, for those who want to check out the I-AA kids who have given oral commitments:

http://www.showingblitz.com/2005verbals.html

Go State!  ;D

Comment

It's funny I also thought the same thing. Now whether those kids actually have the talent or it's just a coach lobbying for his kids is another question. We could always use another good back and wide reciever. Dissapointed to see the big kid from Rochester Mn (Brunkhorst) go to Mankato. Mankato has always been an underfunded football program and never seems to be in the thick of the NCC. Have yet to see a verbal committment from an offensive or defensive lineman.

Comment

I'm at work so I have to rely on my memory for this, but one of the other kids from Pittsburg was ranked No. 10 in our area and was still undecided. Usually the top 15 attend major D-1 programs (Cal, Oregon, Fresno St., Arizona, BYU). So the fact that he his ranked No. 10 indicates to me that he would be a good recuit. I'm not sure we have the pull to recuit him, but you don't know. If he does not have an offer, what do you have to lose.

I do recall the No. 17 rated player was committed to UC Davis. Therefore recuiting the No. 18 ranked player would be a good recuit for SDSU.

When I get home tonight I will try to remember to list the top 20 so you can see the type of talent that is on this list.

I will say in general, looking back at the past top 20 list that if you are a top 5 on the list, one of those players will be a future NFL player (Roy Williams from OU, DJ Williams w/Denver, Ken Dorsey w/9ers). The remaining 4 players will contribute to a major D-1 program their last two years. Players from 6 through 10 have a 50-50 chance of being a full time starter at a major D-1 program by Senior year. Players from 11-15 start out at a major D-1 program but probably transfer or drop out. Players from 16-20 attend D-1AA programs and are full time starters their Junior and Senior years.

The article did state that this years class was not very deep, which explains why the No. 10 recuit has not secured a D-1 offer.

Hope this helps.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I was at lunch today and picked up a paper and here is a portion of the article that pertained to Blackman. This is from the Contra Cost Times.

"Crawley's teamate Joseph Blackman has agreed to a scholarship at Division 1-AA South Dakota State. Blackman, who is 5-11, 173 pounds, as a first team All-Times selection at cornerback after a 2004 campaign in which he had 21 tackles, an interception and a fumble recovery. He said that the Jackrabbits were the only team to offer him a scholarship."

This is the kid from Pittsburg High. His teamate, Crawley, is committing to Fresno State. Interestingly Crawley is a WR/QB and was a second team All-Times selection.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I like this get! ;D

Originally posted by NorCalJack
              Well in today's paper of the Contra Costa Times they list their "Cream of the Crop" top 20 high school football players from Contra Costa and Alameda Counties in the Bay Area.  No.18 in that group is Joseph Blackman from Pittsburg High School in Pittsburg California.  Here is his bio:

Joseph Blackman       5'-11"      180 lbs.

Athletic.  Has potential to be shut-down cornerback.  "Not a bad athlete," WAC assistant said.  "Competitive.  Has a knack for the ball."  Will probably need a year or two to develop.  Slight build concerned one Pac-10 assistant.  "Good athlete.  Has a chance," Pac-10 recruiter said.  "Down-the-road type guy."  Runs a 10.7-second 100, according to Pittsburg coach Vic Galli.  "Very good athlete and great cover guy."  Galli said.  Has offer from Division 1-AA South Dakota State.  College:Undecided

Go State! ;D

Comment

Reported over on Minnesota Preps that Hank Goff 6'4 245 out of Minnetonka,MN will commit to the Jacks. I have a feeling we will see a few more Minnesota recruits sign with the Jacks tomorrow.  Minnetonka won the state championship for the largest schools in Minnesota. Minnetonka also has a slightly undersized junior running back Jalon Hopkins who is blazing fast that the Jacks I'm sure are watching for next year.

Comment

More info on Hank Goff:  

Hank Goff leads the Skippers athletic front seven...
                  When you think Minnetonka you think defense. The Skippers have one of the most athletic defensive front seven in the state. There best player could very well be Senior Defensive End Hank Goff. Goff is an extremely athletic 6-foot-4, 245 pound defender. He has always be good in space, this year is much stronger at the line of scrimmage. He plays fast and plays going downhill. He is hard to run at, or run away from. Eden Prairie transfer Dan Elling has been a great addition to the Skippers front seven. The Linebacking Senior duo of Shane Roach and Alex Murrell is one of the best in the state. They are complete backers. They can stuff the run, blitz and play in pass coverage. The defensive backs are also athlteic ans speedy. They are able to play quite a bit of man-to-man. This in turn allows the "D" to be aggressive and blitz on any down and distance situaion. Junior Matt Risinger has been a ball hawk in the defensive backfield for

Comment

Any word on when they will be annoucing any info on this years recruiting class. I know the coaches have been working very hard to make the necessary additions to the team.....

Go Jacks !!!!!!
                    http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

It will come later this afternoon as kids are signing and faxing over the paperwork today.

Comment

[quote author=footballfan link=board=sdsufb;num=1098217217;start=180#188 date=02/02/05 at 08:28:03]Any word on when they will be annoucing any info on this years recruiting class. I know the coaches have been working very hard to make the necessary additions to the team....."

Stig will join us on the air at 3:20 this afternoon on KWSN.

Comment

Thanks Mike........
                          http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Updated Showingblitz.com has Joseph Blackman from Pittsburgh Ca committing to Jacks.

Comment

Jackrabbit signings:

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Ne...cfm?Id=46,4052

Steven Bazata, DL, 6-4, 230,Howells, NE (Howells HS)
                              Casey Bender, TE, 6-6, 250, Lindsay, NE (Lindsay Holy Family)
                              Joseph Blackman, DB, 5-11, 175, Pittsburg, CA (Pittsburg HS)
                              Ryan Crawford, QB, 6-2, 205, Oro Valley, AZ (Ironwood Ridge HS)
                              Glen Fox, DB, 6-2, 180, Fairfax, IA (Cedar Rapids Prairie HS)
                              Hank Goff, DL, 6-4, 240, Chanhassen, MN (Minnetonka HS)
                              Brad Herman, LB, 6-3, 205, Luverne, MN (Luverne HS)
                              Chris Johnson, LB, 6-2, 210, Council Bluffs, IA (Abraham Lincoln HS)
                              Isaiah Jackson, LB, 6-2, 200, Chandler, AZ (Chandler HS)
                              Casey Knips, OL, 6-8, 290, Adrian, MN (Adrian HS)
                              Nathan Koskovich, OL, 6-4, 280, Kingsley, IA (Kingsley, Pierson HS)
                              Jacob Ludemann, OL, 6-6, 250, Norfolk, NE (Norfolk Catholic)
                              Adam Monke, RB, 5-10, 190, Nickerson, NE (Arlington HS)
                              Jacob Pfeiffer, DL, 6-3, 255, Sheboygan, WI (Sheboygan South HS)
                              Jordan Paula, RB, 6-3, 210, Brookings, SD (Brookings HS)
                              Jimmy Rogers, DB, 5-11, 190, Chandler, AZ (Hamilton HS)
                              Evan Skiles, OL, 6-7, 250, Beatrice, NE (Beatrice HS)
                              Mike Steffen, WR, 6-5, 195, Mt. Vernon, SD (Mt. Vernon HS)
                              Kris Stone, LB, 6-1, 215, Gilbert, AZ (Highland HS)

Go State! ;D

Comment

Interesting to hear what Coach Stig has to say. I'm sure it will be positive. I wonder if he has decided red-shirt candidates, those who can play as freshman, etc..

When does he have to decide?
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X