Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

    Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    I completely agree. If you lose the yellow and blue glasses it’s not hard to see the turning point of this season. If we are being objective about Heide he was below average. His numbers might look ok but most of that was the horizontal passing game we saw all day yesterday. I don’t blame Heide; just can’t expect too much from him given the situation. How the coaches couldn’t have a serviceable backup is beyond me but they gotta figure that out.

    I feel bad for the seniors because we had to resort to a true freshman at the most important position on the field. Our defense was elite all year and they kept us in every game but you need an offense that can score or at least flip the field.
    The coaching staff did have an FBS transfer QB in place - can't blame them that he decided to quit football.

    Comment


    • Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

      Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      I completely agree. If you lose the yellow and blue glasses it’s not hard to see the turning point of this season. If we are being objective about Heide he was below average. His numbers might look ok but most of that was the horizontal passing game we saw all day yesterday. I don’t blame Heide; just can’t expect too much from him given the situation. How the coaches couldn’t have a serviceable backup is beyond me but they gotta figure that out.

      I feel bad for the seniors because we had to resort to a true freshman at the most important position on the field. Our defense was elite all year and they kept us in every game but you need an offense that can score or at least flip the field.
      I'm interested in the data you use to derive the conclusion he was below average and whether you consider that his ascension to starting QB and offensive scheme was invariably impacted by concurrent injuries to PSJ and Wilson.

      If anything, the turning point was that the Jacks had above average injuries to skill players. Consider this -- data indicate Heide had 1,072yds passing in seven games, which was 1,284 fewer than Lance at NDSU. Now, if you assume Heide only attains his per game average for an additional half dozen games, he still gets to 2,000yds passing, which puts him near the median in conference (approx. 2,202yds according to my calculations using these data) and only about 350yds less than Lance. However, you are going to have a difficult time convincing me Heide doesn't pass for at least another 150yds against Drake and SUU.

      I was baffled that they didn't try to run more screens to Daniel or Campbell (granted they would've been short to intermediate range pass attempts), but it's difficult to develop a deep passing game when the QB doesn't receive adequate pass pro. Also, Heide had multiple TD throws, including some that were longer passes, that were well above average, such as the one to Anderson yesterday.
      Last edited by jakejc795; 12-08-2019, 05:15 PM. Reason: Yardage comparison w/Lance

      Comment


      • Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

        Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
        I live several hundred miles from Brookings. Attending a game involves several hours of driving, usually at least one night in a motel and several restaurant meals. I end up using one day of my precious vacation time for each game I attend. I have budgeted my vacation time and travel funds to attend five games each of the last few years. I donate an amount greater than the required amount to purchase the seats that I use. Sometimes coming home from those later season games involves driving for hours in poor travel conditions. A few years ago I missed a game because the weather forced all of the roads in western South Dakota to be closed for the weekend.

        Attending those games is a priority that I have set for myself. If I were to use those five vacation days and the thousands of dollars, yes, literally thousands, that I spend on football, I could take another summer vacation, or maybe a winter vacation to a warmer climate.

        I am frequently finding myself accused of being an unmotivated fan, worthy only of attending lower level football games. It is my fault that North Dakota State out recruits us. I really have to wonder why I even bother going to a game where I am surrounded by @$$holes who consider me an inferior fan. Every time I go out to shovel snow for the rest of this winter I am going to be thinking about that warm weather vacation that I can take next year if I just redirect some of my resources. I probably have until April or May to decide ….
        You are exactly the type of fan that we need more of! You get it and are there for the team in person and financially.

        You are the man!


        SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

        Comment


        • Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

          Originally posted by discoDancinRabbit View Post
          Meh I think the transition from Gibbs to Heide was the most influential factor in determining our demise this year. Wouldn’t you agree that warrants a little sarcastic exaggeration?
          Back in April Heide was 5th on the depth chart and wasn't expected to play a meaningful snap ever...let alone start multiple games his true freshman year. He performed leaps and bounds above expectations.

          Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

          Comment


          • Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

            Originally posted by discoDancinRabbit View Post
            Meh I think the transition from Gibbs to Heide was the most influential factor in determining our demise this year. Wouldn’t you agree that warrants a little sarcastic exaggeration?
            The answer is no. I do not think there is any justification for what you wrote and you now try to minimize by calling it "sarcastic exaggeration". I propose no more personal attacks of that nature on Heide. One person's rotten comment like the one you made is sometimes blamed on this message board generally and I want no part of that.

            Comment


            • Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

              I think we can all agree that "a true freshman QB whose built like a 16 year old schoolgirl" is kind of a d**k thing to say.

              Also, when I contemplate a high school where Heide's physique is typical of the average female student attending that high school, well . . . I'm just not sure quite how to process that.

              Shall we retire this particular sub-subject now?
              "I think we'll be OK"

              Comment


              • Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

                Originally posted by filbert View Post
                I think we can all agree that "a true freshman QB whose built like a 16 year old schoolgirl" is kind of a d**k thing to say.

                Also, when I contemplate a high school where Heide's physique is typical of the average female student attending that high school, well . . . I'm just not sure quite how to process that.

                Shall we retire this particular sub-subject now?
                The mis-USE of gender is very degrading. Keaton was nearly 100 percent on passing in the first UNI game. Nothing girlish about that.

                Comment


                • Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

                  Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  The answer is no. I do not think there is any justification for what you wrote and you now try to minimize by calling it "sarcastic exaggeration". I propose no more personal attacks of that nature on Heide. One person's rotten comment like the one you made is sometimes blamed on this message board generally and I want no part of that.
                  I will try to do better. Next time I will write “a true freshman quarterback who is overwhelmed physically”.

                  Comment


                  • Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

                    Disco- you are being a huge jerk. Heide did more than could be asked from a true freshman. We lost these games because we couldn’t run or protect worth a darn. Hard to through a pass when there are constantly people in your face. I really hope to never meet you in person

                    Comment


                    • Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

                      Originally posted by discoDancinRabbit View Post
                      I will try to do better. Next time I will write “a true freshman quarterback who is overwhelmed physically”.
                      Ironic that he wasn't the one who got injured, but don't let facts get in the way of grinding the ol' axe.

                      Also, I'm not faulting Gibbs for being injured. I'm saying an extra 30-40lbs obviously don't necessarily prevent a QB, or any other player, from getting injured

                      Comment


                      • Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

                        Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                        Disco- you are being a huge jerk. Heide did more than could be asked from a true freshman. We lost these games because we couldn’t run or protect worth a darn. Hard to through a pass when there are constantly people in your face. I really hope to never meet you in person
                        Do you mind if I use this as a signature?

                        Comment


                        • Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

                          Originally posted by discoDancinRabbit View Post
                          Do you mind if I use this as a signature?
                          You seem nice. Just out of curiosity... What's your Twitter handle? Trying to see if there are multiple bad apples in the SDSU fan base, or just one spouting off on multiple platforms.

                          Comment


                          • Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

                            Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                            You seem nice. Just out of curiosity... What's your Twitter handle? Trying to see if there are multiple bad apples in the SDSU fan base, or just one spouting off on multiple platforms.
                            ha ha keep trying man there’s more out there.

                            Comment


                            • Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

                              Originally posted by discoDancinRabbit View Post
                              I will try to do better. Next time I will write “a true freshman quarterback who is overwhelmed physically”.
                              From an outsiders perspective...I didn't see anything wrong with what you said. Passionate fans is what all the universities need more of. And he was overwhelmed...and that is to be expected. Having a qb quit over the summer really hurt you guys...no time to go find another...and then Gibbs going down...SDSU did the best with what they had...much like Ill St now. You guys did well with what you had to work with...and your qb did the best he could. Not his fault he was forced into action too soon.

                              Now 4100 for a home playoff game after getting Gameday? That's tough. But, our attendance is down too...just seems to be a trend.

                              Comment


                              • Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

                                Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                                From an outsiders perspective...I didn't see anything wrong with what you said. Passionate fans is what all the universities need more of. And he was overwhelmed...and that is to be expected. Having a qb quit over the summer really hurt you guys...no time to go find another...and then Gibbs going down...SDSU did the best with what they had...much like Ill St now. You guys did well with what you had to work with...and your qb did the best he could. Not his fault he was forced into action too soon.

                                Now 4100 for a home playoff game after getting Gameday? That's tough. But, our attendance is down too...just seems to be a trend.
                                Not sure I can agree more with this.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X