• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackdaniel
    replied
    Re: Spring Game

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    My post had nothing to do with yours, I didn't even read yours before I posted that. It just so happens that you ended up posting the exact thing that I thought RO's post would provoke. Looking forward to hashing that out again. Those were some pretty fun debates tbh, because both sides have merit.
    Apologies, I see now you weren't referring to my post, guess I should have looked a little closer to who you were responding to. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    No it's not...that's your song and dance...it was a legitimate post with legitimate reasoning, get over it.
    My post had nothing to do with yours, I didn't even read yours before I posted that. It just so happens that you ended up posting the exact thing that I thought RO's post would provoke. Looking forward to hashing that out again. Those were some pretty fun debates tbh, because both sides have merit.

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    And Crawford over Sumner, and Duffy over Zenner, and everyone over Moss, etc.
    It was actually Crawford over O'Brien...

[ducks for cover]

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied

Bah gawd, that's LujanOverChristionGang's music!!!
    No it's not...that's your song and dance...it was a legitimate post with legitimate reasoning, get over it.

Leave a comment:

• RabbitObsessed
    replied

Bah gawd, that's the LujanOverChristionGang's music!!!
    And Crawford over Sumner, and Duffy over Zenner, and everyone over Moss, etc.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

I'm of the opinion that if it's decently close coming out of fall camp, it's worth starting Gibbs. Even if you think Walding is slightly better, the potential gain of having a 4 year starter with big upside is worth a slight downgrade the first year.
    Bah gawd, that's LujanOverChristionGang's music!!!
    Last edited by CappinHard; 04-15-2019, 07:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied

Yup, my thought is that unless someone else clearly separates from Gibbs, he'll be starting. He has the most potential, and you're setting yourself up well for the future with him. I also think we'll see him running quite a bit this year. Called QB runs/options add another element to our ground game and takes even more pressure off throwing the ball downfield.

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied

I'm of the opinion that if it's decently close coming out of fall camp, it's worth starting Gibbs. Even if you think Walding is slightly better, the potential gain of having a 4 year starter with big upside is worth a slight downgrade the first year.
    Unless that first year helps prepare your #2 guy to be a reliable backup for 3yrs, getting your top prospect to work harder to get to #1, and most importantly, instilling it in all the QB's prospects minds that only the best QB will start.Heaven forbid, if injury occurs, you don't want to have placed all your eggs in one basket, and don't have a sound, reliable backup to fill the void, because, if injury occurs, it could be at the worst possible time, like the play offs for example.Both Pros and Cons to consider.

Leave a comment:

• RabbitObsessed
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

Just got a chance to watch the highlights and some extra clips from the Spring Game, wish I could have gone. Put me firmly in the 'Gibbs for starter' camp. Tbh, from the little I saw, I think Connors looked more impressive than Walding. Obviously it's a very small sample size, but Connors definitely looked the part. Gibbs looks like he's the real deal, and it makes sense based on how highly he was recruited.
    From what I saw (the 2nd half), Connors had the best game out of all the QBs, but it wasn't by a wide margin. What surprised me the most was how mobile he was, as I don't believe he should be looked at as just a pocket passer.

His biggest hurdle is his frame. He absolutely needs to put on some good weight so he can absorb a few hits. The read-option is likely going to be a huge component of the offense and he needs to be able keep the defense honest, which means taking a hit and fighting for first down yards when warranted.

In my opinion, Connors can't be slightly above or even with Gibbs to win the job out of camp. The staff has invested more into Gibbs (he's on scholarship, Connors is a walk on) and Gibbs' physical attributes give him an edge when looking at which player should develop on the field.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

Just got a chance to watch the highlights and some extra clips from the Spring Game, wish I could have gone. Put me firmly in the 'Gibbs for starter' camp. Tbh, from the little I saw, I think Connors looked more impressive than Walding. Obviously it's a very small sample size, but Connors definitely looked the part. Gibbs looks like he's the real deal, and it makes sense based on how highly he was recruited.

Leave a comment:

• GopherHole
    replied

I am looking forward to the game at TCF, but I'd like to learn more about what happened on Saturday and other emerging players.

QB race still has multiple competitors and fall camp will decide that portion of the depth chart.

RB - we know we have depth and this will be a strength.

WR - Cade Johnson and Adam Anderson are two excellent receivers. Looks like we have lots of talent behind them. Anybody else emerge after spring ball?

TE - After losing Goedert, we all expected a huge void. Blake Kunz really had a breakout season last year. Zach Heins turned heads this spring. We still have Cavanaugh, Hart, Egan, and Schauf. That's a lot of depth. I'm hoping we can find rolls for everyone, but would not be surprised to see someone leave for more playing time.

OL - Losing Genant hurts along with the graduation of Pupungatoa, but Eck has done a heck of a job building the depth and quality the last couple of years. Any potential difference makers out of our sophs/freshman?

DE/DL - The trench depth on both sides has been huge and important. Will Ogunrinde or any other modestly used DE's emerge this year to compliment Earith? Interior has been a strength recently. Is Sanders the main one providing depth behind starters or are their others?

LB - Having Rozeboom anchoring this group for four years is a huge blessing. Backhaus had an excellent year. Wilson and Tetzlaff played important roles for depth and special teams. Did Levi Brown's spring campaign elevate his status into a potential starting role? How about the redshirt freshmen, will they have a big role for depth/special teams?

CB - We've really been blessed at the corner position for a number of years and having elite talent like Brown the last few has been a luxury. We still return some strong experience and I don't see this position as a weakness, but who's the difference maker? Do we even have one? Is Davis the future after gaining some experience?

Safety - Again, Dan Jackson's leadership continues to shine with the DB's. I really like that Griffin and Manchigiah have emerged. Awesome to have the depth with Williams and Berg. Will DeMarta or Small push for playing time?

Special teams - Nice to have two potential All-American caliber returnees in Vinatieri and Sorenson. It's hard to evaluate talent in the spring game with this group, but do we have a solid option at punter? It has been a couple of years since I've talked to Dinkel or some of his high school teammates and teachers. At the time, he was a talented athlete that needed some maturity. I hope the last two years helped in that regards.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
    Gophers will cover whatever the spread
    Ok...

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied

Gophers will cover whatever the spread and be a much improved team. Defenses will stop the run and make the inexperienced QB win the game for the Jacks this season. 8-4 would be a great season for the team but it could be worse.
    That's what most everyone was saying last year at this time. And we turned out better than expected. I suspect the same this year as long as we get someone at QB who can just manage the game and not make a lot of mistakes.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Gophers will cover whatever the spread and be a much improved team. Defenses will stop the run and make the inexperienced QB win the game for the Jacks this season. 8-4 would be a great season for the team but it could be worse.
    It is about money, but every P5 could involve upset.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X