Attendance & Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Attendance & Alcohol

Cappin, that makes me laugh but it's sure ok with me. I see nothing wrong with it from my perspective. I might stop sales at the end of half time but then again I might not...

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      We don't play indoor football at SDSU. We are men here.

That's in jest but there are lots and lots and lots of posts about that very thing on this forum.

As far as the indoor stadium paying for itself with tickets sales, I think that's a stretch. Let's say we get 5000 more fans on average at $20/tickets on average. That's an extra $100k per game. Assume 5-6 home games per year and that's 550k per year in ticket sales. If a domed stadium costs an extra 50 million your almost at a 100 year payback.
      There's a lot more that goes into it than that and I am positive it would be less than a 100 year payback, but I get your point. I also get your point about the difficulty of financing it upfront. I still think it would have been wise, in our climate, to build an indoor stadium. In the same vein, I also think the Twins should have built a stadium with a retractable roof. Again, all of this is a moot point, but the overarching point is that weather is a HUGE factor in attendance (and not just weather right at the exact time the game starts, as Zimmer tweeted about).

Comment

I think we could offer free tickets, beer and have the game in Sioux Falls and it wouldn't make much difference. Just too few really engaged fans.

Comment

Do other FCS programs routinely play in front of bigger crowds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
            Do other FCS programs routinely play in front of bigger crowds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Yes.

From the NCAA 2018 Attendance leaders:
            http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/footba...dance/2018.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
              Yes.

I'd just like to point out that now that we know the Dakotadome numbers have been a lie for the past 10 years and that there was no physical way for them to sell more than 7,500 tickets, please disregard any attendance ranking they're included in.

Comment

I'll post the graphic for the FCS from the NCAA report.

We rank #19 in the FCS for average home attendance. This includes the playoffs, so our blizzard game against Duquesne is included. We were #3 in the MVFC, behind NDSU and YSU. We were still above average for the MVFC.

Comment

Yes.

It would be interesting to know how the 18 FCS schools above SDSU report attendance. as to tickets sold vs actual attendance. I believe SDSU reports actual bodies in seats. And the size of the communities where those 18 play as opposed to Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    It would be interesting to know how the 18 FCS schools above SDSU report attendance. as to tickets sold vs actual attendance. I believe SDSU reports actual bodies in seats. And the size of the communities where those 18 play as opposed to Brookings.
                    SDSU reports tickets sold not butts in seats. You could easily claim support staff, media, etc if you included actual bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      On that list, Jacksonville AL, Moscow ID, Culawee NC, Lorman MS (Alcorn State), and Durham NH are all similar size or smaller than Brookings. Bozeman MT is around 45k in town, but it's significantly smaller in its one hour driving radius than Brookings-Sioux Falls. So are Missoula and Fargo ND for that matter. While Brookings will always be at a disadvantage for local numbers of fans in a town less than 30k, we actually have a pretty good set up if you're looking at population within a one hour drive to campus. Couple that with the fact that we don't have an in-state FBS to compete with, and we have a large audience ready to be captured. Or so it would seem.

Comment

Is there anway to find the avg numbers for sdsu since we started in the fcs? That I would probably find more interesting. Plus when you watch a game on tv at usd it's only full for sdsu. When you looked at things like consessions etc it's pretty telling. Usd fans will just say they dont eat at games though. Anyway if we have the sdsu numbers please share.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                          On that list, Jacksonville AL, Moscow ID, Culawee NC, Lorman MS (Alcorn State), and Durham NH are all similar size or smaller than Brookings. Bozeman MT is around 45k in town, but it's significantly smaller in its one hour driving radius than Brookings-Sioux Falls. So are Missoula and Fargo ND for that matter. While Brookings will always be at a disadvantage for local numbers of fans in a town less than 30k, we actually have a pretty good set up if you're looking at population within a one hour drive to campus. Couple that with the fact that we don't have an in-state FBS to compete with, and we have a large audience ready to be captured. Or so it would seem.
                          Actually, there are more people within an hour's drive of most of the towns you mention and/or those schools are in much bigger cities than Brookings.

Exceptions would be Moscow, ID and Lorman, MS, and Cullowhee/Western Carolina is a possible exception to the hour-drive population. You're (likely) correct (technically anyway) about the Montana towns, however Missoula is in a county with ~120,000 population and Bozeman's county is ~110,000. Durham, NH is just outside of both Manchester, NH and less than an hour's drive from Boston's northern suburbs. Jacksonville, AL is an hour from the eastern suburbs of Birmingham and a shade more than an hour from Atlanta's western suburbs. Lorman/Alcorn is a SWAC school and some of those have ridiculously large attendance figures. It's also vaguely possible that the hour-drive number for NDSU is actually smaller than SDSU's, but they're in Fargo, metro ~230,000.

But on the core point that SDSU football should draw better than it does, I agree there.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            Is there anway to find the avg numbers for sdsu since we started in the fcs? That I would probably find more interesting. Plus when you watch a game on tv at usd it's only full for sdsu. When you looked at things like consessions etc it's pretty telling. Usd fans will just say they dont eat at games though. Anyway if we have the sdsu numbers please share.
                            '18: 10,178 with 7 games
                            '17: 11,994 with 8 games
                            '16: 13,753 with 7 games
                            '15: 12,899 with 6 games
                            '14: 10,936 with 6 games
                            '13: 10,694 with 6 games
                            '12: 11,843 with 6 games
                            '11: 12,105 with 5 games
                            '10: 10,023 with 5 games
                            '09: 13,265 with 5 games

Comment

'18: 10,178 with 7 games
                              '17: 11,994 with 8 games
                              '16: 13,753 with 7 games
                              '15: 12,899 with 6 games
                              '14: 10,936 with 6 games
                              '13: 10,694 with 6 games
                              '12: 11,843 with 6 games
                              '11: 12,105 with 5 games
                              '10: 10,023 with 5 games
                              '09: 13,265 with 5 games
                              Thanks.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                                Actually, there are more people within an hour's drive of most of the towns you mention and/or those schools are in much bigger cities than Brookings.

Exceptions would be Moscow, ID and Lorman, MS, and Cullowhee/Western Carolina is a possible exception to the hour-drive population. You're (likely) correct (technically anyway) about the Montana towns, however Missoula is in a county with ~120,000 population and Bozeman's county is ~110,000. Durham, NH is just outside of both Manchester, NH and less than an hour's drive from Boston's northern suburbs. Jacksonville, AL is an hour from the eastern suburbs of Birmingham and a shade more than an hour from Atlanta's western suburbs. Lorman/Alcorn is a SWAC school and some of those have ridiculously large attendance figures. It's also vaguely possible that the hour-drive number for NDSU is actually smaller than SDSU's, but they're in Fargo, metro ~230,000.

But on the core point that SDSU football should draw better than it does, I agree there.
                                Right, those were kind of two different points. The smaller towns mentioned in the first paragraph may be I larger metros than Brookings-Sioux Falls.

I did a map analysis at one point several years ago analyzing the population for Missoula, Fargo, Bozeman, Grand Forks, Vermillion, and Brookings relative to their regional population. The spatial aggregate of the analysis was for the population of all counties whose center point fell within 75 linear miles of their "local" school. I can't remember all of the rankings and exact results, but it went something like this:

1) Vermillion with 800k+ within 75 miles
                                2) Brookings with 600k+ within 75 miles
                                3) Fargo
                                4) Grand Forks
                                5) Missoula
                                6) Bozeman

I can't remember the exact numbers for the last 4, but I believe that both Montana schools had less than 300k in their 75 mile radius.

However, if you flipped the radius and looked at population within 25 miles, it went more like this:

1) Fargo
                                2)Missoula
                                3)Grand Forks
                                4)Bozeman
                                5) Brookings
                                6)Vermillion

SDSU is at an inherent disadvantage in local fans within a 20 minute drive. But if they were to capture the Sioux Falls market and find a way to make more people drive an hour down the road, we have fantastic potential. Easier said than done though.

Comment

Working...
                                X