• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mmiller_34
    replied
    Re: 2017 regular season attendance

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    Just a couple of quick thoughts on this direction of discussion. For those that live in the region, how many ads seen or heard related the playoff implications were on the media?

I don't think I've ever seen/heard an advertisement for an SDSU football game in my 10 years of being a real active fan.

Bono and Wrestling does a great job marketing themselves. Last year there was a huge "Get Bonified" Wrestling ticket ad when you walk into the Brookings HyVee. Not sure if they did that in other communities. Also, this Friday Wrestling is giving away two $250 Cubby's gift cards for a couple of lucky students who attend the duel vs. Minnesota.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    Just a couple of quick thoughts on this direction of discussion. For those that live in the region, how many ads seen or heard related the playoff implications were on the media? How many on this board stayed for the final gun at Hobo Day? If someone is a casual fan, that equates to someone who likes to fish except when the wind is blowing or I like to hunt unless there is blowing snow. I like to go to football games if my team wins every game. September and October offer more pleasant environments for watching football. If the casual fan does not come to the game in November, it is not the end of the world because he will renew the season tickets next year and support the program. The attendance has been good for the past 2 years. If it drops over the next 2 years, then this concern may have more substance. Try not to think too lowly of the casual fan as he may give you a ticket someday.
    I don't think the issue is with the casual fan per se, but rather the makeup of our fan base that may fall into that category. When you have a high proportion of the base that is casual, and you live in this region of the country, that's not a recipe for great fan support. One of those things we cannot change.

Another issue is that of those casual fans, many of them are our students. The fan group that should be the loudest/most invested etc. is one of our least invested groups. We have folks driving in three to four times a year from 200+ miles away and we have students who won't put on a damn coat and walk 700 feet to the game. No reason the student section shouldn't have been 4000+ for the NDSU game.

Leave a comment:

• OldHare
    replied

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    Spot on with this. Our casual fans don't have a clue of the significance this game had. If it isn't NDSU, USD or Hobo Day our fans don't show up. Especially late in the year.
    Just a couple of quick thoughts on this direction of discussion. For those that live in the region, how many ads seen or heard related the playoff implications were on the media? How many on this board stayed for the final gun at Hobo Day? If someone is a casual fan, that equates to someone who likes to fish except when the wind is blowing or I like to hunt unless there is blowing snow. I like to go to football games if my team wins every game. September and October offer more pleasant environments for watching football. If the casual fan does not come to the game in November, it is not the end of the world because he will renew the season tickets next year and support the program. The attendance has been good for the past 2 years. If it drops over the next 2 years, then this concern may have more substance. Try not to think too lowly of the casual fan as he may give you a ticket someday.

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Unfortunately, I think 80% of our fan base has no idea that the ISU game had major implications as compared to the Drake/Duquesne game. The national awareness of FCS football among our fan base and within the state leaves more than a lot to be desired. Even Matt Zimmer (who I like by the way), our own beat writer, doesn't know a thing about the FCS national scene. Especially as it compares to the media in Fargo. I've seen him make statements about teams and conferences, and he clearly doesn't pay much attention to the landscape, outside of the MVFC. I'm not saying that as a shot to Zimmer, but I am using that as a snapshot as to the likelihood that are fan turnout is influenced by the playoff pedigree of the opponent. FCS football just doesn't register in the state to your casual fan. And we have a LOT of casual fans that make up those extra 3k -6k you're talking about.
    Spot on with this. Our casual fans don't have a clue of the significance this game had. If it isn't NDSU, USD or Hobo Day our fans don't show up. Especially late in the year.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    This team and seniors deserved a much better crowd than we saw on a beautiful day and against a really tough opponent.
    Yes they do.

Leave a comment:

• Jacked_Up
    replied

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    This team and seniors deserved a much better crowd than we saw on a beautiful day and against a really tough opponent.
    This is true.

Leave a comment:

• JACKGUYII
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SoDakJack
    replied

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    To quote Al David and the Raiders, "Just win, baby." The rest will take care of itself.
    I think the uptick in overall attendance/season ticket holders shows this to be true. Perhaps now it is just changing the mentality of the casual season ticket holder.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    I made sure thst there were butts in my seats. That's a lot more than many did in Saturday.
    So did I, but I have only one seat. So there is merit in your comments about the off attendance. I still think 9500 in November is a very good number. Most of the season ticket holders do not get a refund for missing a game so from a financial view, SDSU should be okay.

Leave a comment:

• SoDakJack
    replied

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Watched on a IPhone huh? You were not part of the disappointing turn out? How precious!
    I made sure thst there were butts in my seats. That's a lot more than many did in Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• Jacked_Up
    replied

To quote Al Davis and the Raiders, "Just win, baby." The rest will take care of itself.
    Last edited by Jacked_Up; 11-12-2017, 11:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Tibbs
    replied

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
    It was a three day week end which probably reduced the student turnout by 1-2000.
    It was also a 3 day weekend in Fargo, and I'm pretty sure they had most of their full alotment in the stands. And this has been a theme late in the season for years now. ISU at home in 2015 was a pretty November Day against the number 2 team in the country, while we were still in contention for a seed.

Student turnout was about the same that day as it was this Saturday. A three day weekend has an effect, but I think it has more to do with the casual apathy a lot of them have.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
    It was a three day week end which probably reduced the student turnout by 1-2000.
    No doubt.

Leave a comment:

• Rabbit74
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    What?
    your buddy said he was going to be watching the game from a IPhone. I would be hesitant to question 4000 other non-attendees while staying away from the game myself. I did not attend either and am I complaining about the attendence? T
    Last edited by Nidaros; 11-12-2017, 08:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X