• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jakejc795
    replied
    Re: GDT: @ UNI for the MVFC title!

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Fml... I hate being a Vikings fan.
    Tell me about it. Those dang Lions gave me indigestion again -- 21 years after the Vikes' last Thanksgiving loss to them
    Last edited by jakejc795; 11-24-2016, 07:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Id love to hear pauls call of that interception.
    Fml... I hate being a Vikings fan.

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
    I enjoy Paul Allen immensely. I am a Vikings fan, he is a giant homer, and everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Id love to hear pauls call of that interception.

Leave a comment:

• 2002jack
    replied

I enjoy Paul Allen immensely. I am a Vikings fan, he is a giant homer, and everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt.

Leave a comment:

• da_coach
    replied

I just want to add to this discussion with the following:
    1. Paul Allen is an embarrassment. They might as well give him pom-poms and let him lead cheers.
    2. Tyler isn't perfect. But he's pretty fair, and he's not bad, if you ever listen to other teams.
    3. Struck is NOT a broadcaster. His voice is terrible. But he is the best color guy I have heard at this level. Honest, fair, and always good insight.
    4. The color guy at UNI was atrocious. And the old coach who was #3 on the team were worse.
    So, while are guys aren't perfect, we have it pretty good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• slosho
    replied

Tyler is fantastic there's no doubt. The only comment (which could be a LOVE/HATE for some) Is that when something exciting happens he looses his cool a bit (as in he's a bit homer 'esque) and his voice pitch changes (raises). Personally I love it when he's into it and you can hear the emotion in his voice. It's one thing that makes his calls much better to listen to for a fan, I'm not sure what the opposing team's view on that might be, but it's his job and he is very, very good at it. Much like TV was beyond exceptional.

Leave a comment:

• BigGoosie13
    replied

Seriously friends, go to the 1:55 mark and tell that TM's call doesn't get you going...

Leave a comment:

• BrerRabbit
    replied

You could have me do play by play. I would spend the entire game bitching about refs and our coaches.
    PERFECT!

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

You could have me do play by play. I would spend the entire game bitching about refs and our coaches.

That would work.

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

TM: ++++++

Leave a comment:

• 2002jack
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mango4
    replied

Originally posted by slosho View Post
    Tyler grew up on Euclid By the Donut Shoppe?
    Negative. Old house in south east Pierre

Leave a comment:

• slosho
    replied

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
    Having grown up a few blocks from Tyler, I will corroborate this. He made me do stats for him for games we were watching, something, I as a 10 year old, didn't want to do. He also did play-by-play for our wiffle ball games in the back yard. This is something he has always wanted to do. When his peers were playing Teener or Legion baseball in the summer, Tyler was working at KCCR in Pierre calling those games.
    Tyler grew up on Euclid By the Donut Shoppe?

Leave a comment:

• mango4
    replied

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Tyler is actually a great story. He has always wanted to do play-by-play. As a kid, he would record games on a VCR and play them back so he could record his own play-by-play on a cassette recorder. You should see how he prepares for games. He has this huge piece of poster board that he pastes all the names, facts, statistics, human-interest notes on for easy reference during the game. He does that for every game. One other thing you will note is that he doesn't trip over any names of the opposing players. That's because he memorizes the names and numbers of key players before the games, for every sport he calls. The guy works his butt off. There's a whole lot more to play-by-play than just showing up and saying what you see. It's the preparation that sets him apart, the easy access to facts and statistics and stories. Next time you listen, make note of all the extra information that Tyler brings to the table during his calls. Also note how the production flows without any awkward moments or pauses or people talking over each other. That's Tyler's ease with the medium showing through. His work is impressive and his preparation and natural abilities are why he's considered a very, very talented broadcaster by people who know that business.
    Having grown up a few blocks from Tyler, I will corroborate this. He made me do stats for him for games we were watching, something, I as a 10 year old, didn't want to do. He also did play-by-play for our wiffle ball games in the back yard. This is something he has always wanted to do. When his peers were playing Teener or Legion baseball in the summer, Tyler was working at KCCR in Pierre calling those games.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyJack
    replied

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
    As a guy who watches 95% of the games through ESPN3, which means I get to listen to the other team's announcers for all road games, Tyler and Struck do a great job. Hank and Tom do a great job, too. Anyone who listened to the game this weekend on ESPN3 and were subjected to the UNI crew knows how lucky we have it. I can't remember the name of the color guy, but it was a former player who seemingly understood about 25% of game rules. He kept saying he thought the first SDSU interception should have been negated because the UNI QB was across the line of scrimmage when he threw the football. He brought it up before they went to break and after they came back from break. When the official confirmed the pick, he responded by saying "I guess they couldn't tell if he was across the line of scrimmage when he threw it." It was only after the play by play guy gently pointed out that it wouldn't matter where the QB threw the ball from, if it was intercepted by the Defense the penalty would be declined. He also said the throw from Wieneke to TC was "clearly a broken play". Again, the play by play guy had to point out the fact that all of the O-line were blocking for TC probably meant it was a designed screen to the QB. It was like that all game.

More often than not, the away team is comprised of a decent play by play guy with varying degrees of "homer" in him. The color guy is always an ex-player or coach who openly roots for the home team and sees all penalties/plays through homer vision and has very little to add to the game other than to make you want to throw things at your TV. Say what you will about Struck's voice, but dude knows his football. He calls out coverages, how a certain play unfolded and what happened to get to that point, game plans, etc. He knows his X's & O's as well as anyone you'll listen too.
    Danan Hughes was the commentator. He's the worst. He cannot shut his mouth. As you note, he was trying to claim that on the QB screen where we scored, Taryn wasn't the intended receiver. Are you kidding me? He suggested they would revisit the play when they returned from a commercial. Of course they didn't because it would have shown he doesn't know what he's talking about. The guy is a joke.

I agree about Struck. I learn things about football from him. That's kind of my measuring stick for color commentators. Do they make me smarter or dumber. Hughes: Dumber. Struck: Smarter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X