• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goon
    replied
    Re: 2018 Recruiting List

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    I couldn't find the story, but there was a basketball recruit that early enrolled at Ohio State right before they canned Thad Motta. I don't think the kid even had a chance to go to class before the firing, but the NCAA says he has to lose a year of play because he was "in school"
    Wasn't there something with Jill Young when she transferred? I don't remember the details but school started or something like that when she transferred.

Leave a comment:

• SoDakJack
    replied

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    I am inclined to agree with this, actually. If not "void" then some other kind of "no-fault escape clause" in the text of the NLI.
    I couldn't find the story, but there was a basketball recruit that early enrolled at Ohio State right before they canned Thad Motta. I don't think the kid even had a chance to go to class before the firing, but the NCAA says he has to lose a year of play because he was "in school"

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Simple. Because the coach(es) that recruits them can leave at any moment. The "but they are supposed to commit to the school" crowd will chime in here, but let's be honest the relationships are almost exclusively with the coach.

Prior to starting school if a coach quits or is fired, the NLI should be void.

I used to be on the other side of this, but I'm starting to see it differently.
    I am inclined to agree with this, actually. If not "void" then some other kind of "no-fault escape clause" in the text of the NLI.

Leave a comment:

• mango4
    replied

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    Since most of these "contracts" are signed by a minor, how are they legal? Do the parents sign off on them as well? Since I wasn't good enough to get myself a recruitment letter I have no idea.
    Yes, parents sign as well. There was a recruit a few years ago that wanted to go to Auburn (I think) but a parent wouldn’t sign the LOI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• MontanaRabbit
    replied

Yeah, because signed contracts are just a stupid, stupid, STUPID idea.

(You have a shred of a point with kids who sign prior to turning 18 . . . but after that, if they're old enough to vote, why shouldn't they be expected them to agree to a contractual relationship?)
    Simple. Because the coach(es) that recruits them can leave at any moment. The "but they are supposed to commit to the school" crowd will chime in here, but let's be honest the relationships are almost exclusively with the coach.

Prior to starting school if a coach quits or is fired, the NLI should be void.

I used to be on the other side of this, but I'm starting to see it differently.

Leave a comment:

• SoDakJack
    replied

(You have a shred of a point with kids who sign prior to turning 18 . . . but after that, if they're old enough to vote, why shouldn't they be expected them to agree to a contractual relationship?)
    Since most of these "contracts" are signed by a minor, how are they legal? Do the parents sign off on them as well? Since I wasn't good enough to get myself a recruitment letter I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    lol college sports are the best. when can we get a signature that prevents this teenager from changing their mind.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    lol college sports are the best. when can we get a signature that prevents this teenager from changing their mind.
    Think of it more they are trying to protect their investment.

Leave a comment:

• RabbitObsessed
    replied

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    I heard that track had their early signing day already but when can SDSU have these players sign so that are locked up?

Leave a comment:

• Jackedforlife
    replied

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    I heard that track had their early signing day already but when can SDSU have these players sign so that are locked up?
    Early signing for football is December 20th...

Leave a comment:

• 91jack
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

Originally posted by goon View Post
    unless he doesn't want to redshirt? curious but do we normally redshirt kickers? just asking.

and I have no idea what the situation is in front of him for playing time at Minn. just hate seeing school poach players after they commit.
    Gopher's current kicker will be a senior next year, and they have a highly regarded (ranked in top 10 high school kickers nationally as a senior) freshman who red-shirted this year. He both place-kicks and punts.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    One year if he would have taken his redshirt next year. Redshirt Freshmen year when Chase was a Sr.
    unless he doesn't want to redshirt? curious but do we normally redshirt kickers? just asking.

and I have no idea what the situation is in front of him for playing time at Minn. just hate seeing school poach players after they commit.

Leave a comment:

• WestSideRabbit
    replied

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
    My thinking is only speculation and may be nuts but think about this: His Dad is a surgeon, perhaps he may also want to be a doctor, thinking ahead being an undergraduate at UoM gives him a better shot of getting into their med school? My thinking could be completely wrong though.
    Maybe. Who knows what 18 year olds want sometimes.

I can say that admission/placement into professional school out of the SDSU Human Biology, Bio-Chem, Biology, or Chemistry programs is VERY high and competitive nationally.

Leave a comment:

• UWMandSDSU
    replied

Originally posted by goon View Post
    that's probably why, he would have to complete with for 2 years to compete with Chase, I was really looking forward to him coming here. We have had a string of really good kickers imho and figured he would be the next in line.
    One year if he would have taken his redshirt next year. Redshirt Freshmen year when Chase was a Sr.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X