• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HoboJack
    replied
    Re: Jacks at USD

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    On snowy day a year ago, I compared the historical info from each school's media book and I recall finding the discrepancies...just can't find those notes now. Locating the discrepancies alone didn't determine which record was correct and, if my memory serves me, whether both records were wrong. Once the years in which differences appeared were determined, one would have to resort to other sources to determine the facts. Probably the best starting point would be newspaper reports of the games. I didn't get that far.

Before anyone starts throwing rocks in the direction of either school, just keep in mind there's a discrepancy but no one knows which record is incorrect.
    I could have sworn Terry V had an article about this in the past (maybe when we first played them again), and the issue was rooted in a single game played where the outcome was disputed. The other game in question was counted as a scrimmage for SDSU (i.e. not a real game) and a counter for USD due to the number of games they could have in a season.

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    How in the heck can there be a 2 game discrepancy in total games played between the two schools?
    On snowy day a year ago, I compared the historical info from each school's media book and I recall finding the discrepancies...just can't find those notes now. Locating the discrepancies alone didn't determine which record was correct and, if my memory serves me, whether both records were wrong. Once the years in which differences appeared were determined, one would have to resort to other sources to determine the facts. Probably the best starting point would be newspaper reports of the games. I didn't get that far.

Before anyone starts throwing rocks in the direction of either school, just keep in mind there's a discrepancy but no one knows which record is incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• Jackedforlife
    replied

[QUOTE=JackJD;282398

USD's Sports Info game notes say the series is tied 51-51-7 -- and the USD sports info dept likes to add USD has never trailed.[/QUOTE]

Until Saturday, 😉........

Mods if this is considered smack feel free to delete.

Leave a comment:

• jacks1
    replied

How in the heck can there be a 2 game discrepancy in total games played between the two schools?

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

I'm watching KELO News and they commented on the series being tied. I noted a few years ago that the all-time stats maintained by SDSU and USD do not match. KELO's source was USD. Note the following:

SDSU Sports Info lists Saturday's game as the 108th meeting between the two schools. With last year's win, the Jacks were up 51-50-6 in the 107 games played so far.

USD's Sports Info game notes say the series is tied 51-51-7 -- and the USD sports info dept likes to add USD has never trailed.
    Way back, even before my time there is a game in question. I remember Ron Lenz talking about it, but I absolutely do not recall the details that explains the descrepency between the school records.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

I'm watching KELO News and they commented on the series being tied. I noted a few years ago that the all-time stats maintained by SDSU and USD do not match. KELO's source was USD. Note the following:

SDSU Sports Info lists Saturday's game as the 108th meeting between the two schools. With last year's win, the Jacks were up 51-50-6 in the 107 games played so far.

USD's Sports Info game notes say the series is tied 51-51-7 -- and the USD sports info dept likes to add USD has never trailed.
    I think in one of zims articles he had different numbers one I thought he had the 51-50-6 and the other i think he had 50-50-7. I am too lazy to check buy thought it was wierd that I thought the numbers were different depending on the article. Dont they have score records for all the games to decide what it actually is?

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

Zimmer's working overtime today: article just posted on the topic "USD, SDSU coaches respect, admire each other."

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...ther/75590686/

Good perspective, good article. Fans from either side who want to make it all ugly may want to read the coaches' comments twice.

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Jackrabbits need to go into the dome Saturday and kick USD's ass. SDSU has a better team this year and a much better program overall. That's taking nothing away from the expected progress at USD. All that matters right now is who plays better on Saturday. I sure as heck don't expect a blowout ass kicking like YSU put on the coyotes earlier this year and I don't expect a the game of the season from USD (that happened in Fargo)....
    I like MD's direct, no-nonsense approach. If the Jacks play like they're capable of playing Saturday, they'll get the job done. I'll part ways with MD, however, on the margin of victory. I'm sticking with my prediction: Jacks 38, Yotes 7.

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

Originally posted by SDSU82 View Post
    It has been glaringly obvious and now, of all things, our beat writer is stroking them as well.

Really? I thought the article was appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• Jacked4Days
    replied

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    Where have you seen this? Even on USD's fan board they are putting SDSU's defense above their own.
    First, I haven't read directly anyone say that they had an even defense. That's why I said it almost seems. I'm more so referencing the comments I've read where it will come down to which quarterback plays the best will win the game, or quarterback plus special teams play will decide the game. If our defense plays the way they have since the second half against NDSU, USD should not score more than 10 points. That is what I was trying to address in my post. If we win it will be because our whole team can impact and decide the outcome, not just the quarterback.

Leave a comment:

• RabbitObsessed
    replied

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
    I understand that USD is having a better season than in years past. They have the right to be excited because the football team is doing something which is more than that fanbase can say about in years past. I also believe that if they win out they will make the playoffs; however, I do not see this happening. One thing I do not understand is the hype around their defense. It almost seems like that defense has been put on an even playing field with SDSU's defense. This season SDSU is giving up 14.6 points a game and ranked 5th in the nation tops in the conference. Arguably, this year we are watching the best SDSU defense that has ever played. As a fanbase, we have been hyping our defense and rightfully so, but USD's defense is nowhere near the level of SDSU's. They are better than in years past, but that doesn't mean it's a great defense. They are mediocre. Nothing more. Nothing less. USD is giving up 22.7 points a game. That ranks 41st in the FCS and 6th in the conference behind SDSU, NDSU, UNI, Illinois State, and Youngstown. This weekend we are not facing a defensive powerhouse. An improved defense, yes, but just that.
    Where have you seen this? Even on USD's fan board they are putting SDSU's defense above their own.

Leave a comment:

• RabbitObsessed
    replied

Originally posted by jack power View Post
    I think the key word is heavyweights, he incorrectly made it plural. They haven't been capable of competing with any of the MVFC heavyweights other than NDSU.
    That doesn't make sense. He didn't say they have defeated heavyweights. If that's what was written, then your argument makes sense. Since they beat NDSU it shows that they are cap or beating the best teams in the league. They only have beaten one, but they have shown that it is a possibility that it happens.

Leave a comment:

• Jacked4Days
    replied

I understand that USD is having a better season than in years past. They have the right to be excited because the football team is doing something which is more than that fanbase can say about in years past. I also believe that if they win out they will make the playoffs; however, I do not see this happening. One thing I do not understand is the hype around their defense. It almost seems like that defense has been put on an even playing field with SDSU's defense. This season SDSU is giving up 14.6 points a game and ranked 5th in the nation tops in the conference. Arguably, this year we are watching the best SDSU defense that has ever played. As a fanbase, we have been hyping our defense and rightfully so, but USD's defense is nowhere near the level of SDSU's. They are better than in years past, but that doesn't mean it's a great defense. They are mediocre. Nothing more. Nothing less. USD is giving up 22.7 points a game. That ranks 41st in the FCS and 6th in the conference behind SDSU, NDSU, UNI, Illinois State, and Youngstown. This weekend we are not facing a defensive powerhouse. An improved defense, yes, but just that.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Jackrabbits need to go into the dome Saturday and kick USD's ass. SDSU has a better team this year and a much better program overall. That's taking nothing away from the expected progress at USD. All that matters right now is who plays better on Saturday. I sure as heck don't expect a blowout ass kicking like YSU put on the coyotes earlier this year and I don't expect a the game of the season from USD (that happened in Fargo).

The strength for both teams is their defense. If one teams defensive squad comes out more aggressive and with a higher motor I think that team is likely to win. Neither teams offense is that impressive at this point. In fact, I'd say its an even battle. Both want to run the ball first, both have mobile QB's (yes I think Lujan should sit but that Eidsness' call not mine) that can throw but aren't stellar. RB's and WR core are about equal with Jake W. being the best of the bunch, not close.

Turnovers and penalties could be huge. If one team has a distinct advantage in either they probably win. Jacks were really bad in the redzone for the middle stretch of the season, seemed to be better last 2 games. On the other hand Jacks defense is stout in the redzone.

As much as I want to predict a 14 plus point win for SDSU I think its likely to come down to the last possession or 2 like most competitive MVFC games do. I'd be surprised if either team lays an egg and gets blown out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X