Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coverage

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    Who are you talking about who called Zim a drunk? Must have missed that post.
    Lol, I didn't call Zim A drunk... I said that he might have been drunk when he posted it, mostly exaggerating because there were multiple grammatical errors that a professional writer doesn't make. I see that he has since corrected those errors and reposted it.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      Lol, I didn't call Zim A drunk... I said that he might have been drunk when he posted it, mostly exaggerating because there were multiple grammatical errors that a professional writer doesn't make. I see that he has since corrected those errors and reposted it.
      I thought about editing that,and state as you have said,"might of been drinking",but thought it'd all blow over and be forgotten,too lazy to go through all the fuss....should have but didn't, sorry for misrepresenting what you said.

Comment

I'm pretty certain that Gannett doesn't pay overtime. They barely pay anyone to begin with. This time of year, with the fall and winter sports overlap, Zim can't work every day. Anyone who wants to be angry about the coverage, blame Gannett. They just "retired" several of the most senior people in the Argus newsroom (two SDSU grads included). Typical corporate move: Their benefits and salaries were too expensive as they got older. So you dump decades of experience and hire some $20-per-story stringer to cover stuff (or better yet, just don't cover stuff. Save $20.) Corporate newspaper companies are slowly but surely putting themselves out of business. This latest cost-cutting move followed the reorganization of the newsroom last year that left sports seriously understaffed. Success in developing readership takes a long-term focus. Gannett and the others can't see past the next quarterly earnings statement. So can you blame Zim for taking his day off? Eventually, they'll just "retire" him, too... if the Argus is still in business when he's old enough.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          I'm pretty certain that Gannett doesn't pay overtime. They barely pay anyone to begin with. This time of year, with the fall and winter sports overlap, Zim can't work every day. Anyone who wants to be angry about the coverage, blame Gannett. They just "retired" several of the most senior people in the Argus newsroom (two SDSU grads included). Typical corporate move: Their benefits and salaries were too expensive as they got older. So you dump decades of experience and hire some $20-per-story stringer to cover stuff (or better yet, just don't cover stuff. Save $20.) Corporate newspaper companies are slowly but surely putting themselves out of business. This latest cost-cutting move followed the reorganization of the newsroom last year that left sports seriously understaffed. Success in developing readership takes a long-term focus. Gannett and the others can't see past the next quarterly earnings statement. So can you blame Zim for taking his day off? Eventually, they'll just "retire" him, too... if the Argus is still in business when he's old enough.
          Very good,well said and I agree with you 100%.....err 98.5% (gotta leave myself a little room for dissension)

Comment

You know something? The Argus Leader does not owe us anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              You know something? The Argus Leader does not owe us anything.
              That might be true if you do not have a subscription of some sort. Otherwise, I may have no need for the Argus if my interests are not being attended in the content. The comics are very important after the sports page.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The need is there,I doubt a city the size of Sioux Falls couldn't support one newspaper.If subscriptions are on the decline,they must be trying to figure it out.It's easy to complain,harder to find solutions.Hope they get it figured out.I have a digital subscription only,mainly for live chats and sports coverage.sports content.Whatever happened to "you have to spend money to make money", by that i mean invest for the future,make your product more desirable,etc.Corporate America seems to go the other way,increase the price and cheapen up the product.Not a very good long term solution.Corporate America seems to go the other way,cheap'n up the product and charge more.That to me won't ever work long term for things most people figure to be "discretionary" spending.Seems to work for groceries though,guess people have to eat.
                Last edited by jackdaniel; 11-07-2015, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                  The need is there,I doubt a city the size of Sioux Falls couldn't support one newspaper.If subscriptions are on the decline,they must be trying to figure it out.It's easy to complain,harder to find solutions.Hope they get it figured out.I have a digital subscription only,mainly for live chats and sports coverage.sports content.Whatever happened to "you have to spend money to make money", by that i mean invest for the future,make your product more desirable,etc.Corporate America seems to go the other way,increase the price and cheapen up the product.Not a very good long term solution.Corporate America seems to go the other way,cheap'n up the product and charge more.That to me won't ever work long term for things most people figure to be "discretionary" spending.Seems to work for groceries though,guess people have to eat.
                  Jimmy Jack who knows better than most of us has said several times, people are getting their news from other sources that print version of news papers. I think there isn't anything to figure out. The handwriting is on the wall. I have an on-line subscription to the Argus, and my viewing of it is getting less and less. So much stuff pops up on Facebook, including Jackrabbit Sports that you don't want to bother with the newspaper or its on line version.
                  Last edited by Nidaros; 11-07-2015, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Not sure its the greed of corporate america as much as an outdated business model and market competition. There are many sources for news and entertainment targeting a wide range of interests.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                    X