• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoVaJack
    replied
    Re: All Things Playoffs Related

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    I get what you're saying, FCS football doesn't pay out as well as NCAA div 1 basketball does...that's because there's no big school distinction yet, that's what the P5 thing will put an end to...equal payouts to all, no matter the size or prestige the P5 possesses and how controlling they want to be.
    good point

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    Guessing NDSU got about $100-150k last year for the playoff games, not much but not nothing. That said what how much is a national title run worth in terms of exposure? Increasing donations to the school? Selling more merchandise and advertising? Attracting more students to your school? In my opinion it is worth a ton.

If a team goes to the sweet 16, they do get a bigger share from the NCAA but that share is split by your conference. It isn't this massive amount of money, really in that instance what you are really gaining is the things I mentioned earlier.
    Good points and I might have understated the importance of winning a NC in any sport. It does improve the fan base and that is hard to put a dollar sign on. Good luck in the March to the 4th title.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 11-23-2014, 07:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jackdaniel
    replied

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    NO ITS NOT A JOKE.
    I am speaking of dollars that goes into the coffers of member schools. NDSU has not gotten squat for winning those three NC's.
    But someone like Bulter has hauled in a bunch from NCAA post season play via making the sweet sixteen for men's bb.
    I get what you're saying, FCS football doesn't pay out as well as NCAA div 1 basketball does...that's because there's no big school distinction yet, that's what the P5 thing will put an end to...equal payouts to all, no matter the size or prestige the P5 possesses and how controlling they want to be.

Leave a comment:

• NoVaJack
    replied

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    I'll still take the exposure of the Bison. What's the advertising value of having ESPN Gameday come to Fargo? What's the advertising value of having your name mentioned numerous times on national radio, TV, and papers?
    probably millions

Leave a comment:

• FargoBison
    replied

Guessing NDSU got about $100-150k last year for the playoff games, not much but not nothing. That said what how much is a national title run worth in terms of exposure? Increasing donations to the school? Selling more merchandise and advertising? Attracting more students to your school? In my opinion it is worth a ton.

If a team goes to the sweet 16, they do get a bigger share from the NCAA but that share is split by your conference. It isn't this massive amount of money, really in that instance what you are really gaining is the things I mentioned earlier.

Leave a comment:

• SoDakJack
    replied

Does this look like some school has made a pile of money from three NC and FCS playoffs.

Granted a dated article, but the facts are pretty much the same. And Rob Portman is not the best source on any topic except here he did some research.

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/alm...and-taxpayers/
    I'll still take the exposure of the Bison. What's the advertising value of having ESPN Gameday come to Fargo? What's the advertising value of having your name mentioned numerous times on national radio, TV, and papers?

Leave a comment:

• NoVaJack
    replied

Does this look like some school has made a pile of money from three NC and FCS playoffs.

Granted a dated article, but the facts are pretty much the same. And Rob Portman is not the best source on any topic except here he did some research.

Just to avoid any confusion for the political minded out there I think you meant to refer to the author as Rob Port and not the Ohio Senator and possible presidential candidate Rob Portman. The USA TODAY analysis is of a school's entire budget and doesn'treally prove much aboutthe FCS money game, per se, but to the degree that it means anything, it may disprove your point. NDSU's 2012 budget had a tiny deficit, UND's over a half million. Only one of the two had three FCS playoff games and the revenue that went with them.
    Last edited by NoVaJack; 11-23-2014, 05:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
    Your posts are a marvel of modern insanity. Wow!
    The playoffs do not make money. NDSU is a big supporter for paying for the playoffs. CBS does not sponsor the FCS playoffs and they cost more money then they make. Thanks for filling the dome time after time and help paying the bills for the NCAA.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 11-23-2014, 04:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• HandoEX
    replied

NO ITS NOT A JOKE.
    I am speaking of dollars that goes into the coffers of member schools. NDSU has not gotten squat for winning those three NC's.
    But someone like Bulter has hauled in a bunch from NCAA post season play via making the sweet sixteen for men's bb.
    Your posts are a marvel of modern insanity. Wow!

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
    That is a joke, right?
    NO ITS NOT A JOKE.

Leave a comment:

• NoVaJack
    replied

From the Bozeman paper just now:

The Bobcats finished just 2-2 in their final four games. Of their six Big Sky victories, two came against programs with winning records; the other four squads (North Dakota, UC Davis, Weber State and Portland State) finished with a combined tally of 12-35.

One of those late-season defeats came against a Cal Poly squad South Dakota State routed, 44-18, on Sept. 6.

The Jackrabbits, who are riding a three-game winning streak, lost three to FCS competition. Two of those schools — North Dakota State and fifth-seeded Illinois State — are in the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• NoVaJack
    replied

I agree, but our subsidy comes from the Big Dance revenue, that is making up the play off costs that are not matched by revenue from tickets sold. Not every one of the 24 schools are able to draw 19000 people, that why I wonder some times if being FCS champs three years in a row is worth it. Making the sweet 16 in men's basketball 3 years in a row would pay much more that the 3 NC in FCS.

That is a joke, right?

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Starting QB is hurt and uncertain for Saturday based on what I last read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    That will really have a huge impact on the game. There seems to be a huge disparity in quality between the Bobcats starter and backup, though this should be expected considering their starter will more-than-likely finish top 5 in the Payton Award voting.
    I hope we can get more sacks against MSU then we did against Earl yesterday. I think we got only one. Earl is darn good in my opinion. This guy probably is too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X