• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nidaros
    replied
    Re: Eric Kline

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    I might be wrong, but I think the Northern Sun limits member football teams to 24 scholarshps, which is below the NCAA limit of 36 or so for D-II schools. SDSU is limited to 63 scholarships and has to give a minimum of something like 57. I'm guessing Duluth doesn't have a whole lot of unused scholarship money laying around. Regardless, Kline should be a very good quarterback in that league. I wish him well.
    I believe you are right, as it getting away from me now, but a few years back over on D2Football.com, they used to complain about the NCC and the full funding of 36 scholarships. Unless Butch Raymond has changed directions, 24 is the limit in the Northern Sun.

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
    So you are saying that Stig is not giving Kline a chance to earn the starting job away from Sumner? Not that I would disagree based on how Stig handled TOB............
    That's not what he posted. Why the agitation? (I don't have a problem with you being a regular agitator but I wonder whether you have a point or a particular agenda.)

Leave a comment:

• Jacked_Up
    replied

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    I'm guessing he is getting good money at Duluth. ...
    I might be wrong, but I think the Northern Sun limits member football teams to 24 scholarshps, which is below the NCAA limit of 36 or so for D-II schools. SDSU is limited to 63 scholarships and has to give a minimum of something like 57. I'm guessing Duluth doesn't have a whole lot of unused scholarship money laying around. Regardless, Kline should be a very good quarterback in that league. I wish him well.

Leave a comment:

• TK22867
    replied

Originally posted by JackDad View Post
    I'm sure he thought his incoming credentials were as good as Austin's and expected he would get a chance to compete for the starting role.
    So you are saying that Stig is not giving Kline a chance to earn the starting job away from Sumner? Not that I would disagree based on how Stig handled TOB............

Leave a comment:

• JackDad
    replied

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
    I don't get it. What did he expect? Did he think Sumner was some chump he was going to be able to unseat from Day 1? Maybe he's not good at math and thought he'd have more years as the starter. I dunno.
    You forget that Sumner had never taken a snap, when Kline committed to SDSU. TOB was the starter when they recruited Kline. I'm sure he thought his incoming credentials were as good as Austin's and expected he would get a chance to compete for the starting role.

Leave a comment:

• TK22867
    replied

Originally posted by witness View Post
    When you are a good player, you don't come to a program to sit for four years and get the possibility of 1year of significant playing time. Not worth it at a FCS school
    I don't get it. What did he expect? Did he think Sumner was some chump he was going to be able to unseat from Day 1? Maybe he's not good at math and thought he'd have more years as the starter. I dunno.

Leave a comment:

• joeboo22
    replied

I'm guessing he is getting good money at Duluth.

Second, I agree they should have considered moving him to another position.

I've talked to a few people and they said he wasn't happy about how he was handled at Kansas, and I can't say I blamed him. Being told he has the job and Sumner is out and then Sumner suits up and is warming up the entire game until they made the switch. Was also told that Meyer was looking good and since Meyer's system is similar to Sumner he was wondering if he would even get to start that one year. He will do good at Minnesota-Duluth.

Money is one argument, but assuming its not much different and I don't think it is, because I doubt he was getting a full-ride from SDSU, and is probably getting the max at Duluth. But its South Dakota vs. Minnesota. Its not a big difference, its not like being a backup at Florida vs. playing for Youngstown St. College athletes for the most part want to play, especially those in a position like QB where only 1 plays at a time.

I agree that SDSU should be targeting more of those that aren't starting at Nebraska and Minnesota. Its something that SDSU has had very few of, since going D-I.

Leave a comment:

• shot_5533
    replied

When you are a good player, you don't come to a program to sit for four years and get the possibility of 1year of significant playing time. Not worth it at a FCS school
    I respectfully disagree. A FCS still gives you a full ride - plus SDSU wisely uses the Jackrabbit guarantee - for the most part and I'd guess Kline had one. Duluth is DII and he will get peanuts. But if you go to school to play football, vs playing football in order to go to school - Kline's move makes sense. I don't blame him in the least. I'd like to see SDSU get more disgruntled U of MN transfers aka Illinois State and Illinois. It would have to burn a competitor like Kline being buried behind Sumner. Austin is a proven winner, home state product and nationally recognized. Kline was behind the 8 ball - out of state on the bench behind him. I just wonder if they could have moved him to a different position so he could have played?

Leave a comment:

• SDSUAlum08
    replied

All college players consider themselves great players.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

If he really is that goos the coaches would find away to use him and not leave talent on the bench but maybe he realized he wasn't good enough to earn playing time so going to a worse program by default makes him better. Most coaches and programs are going to leave top recruits and players on the bench for 4 years before they play. If they are good enough they will find away to get in more games.

Leave a comment:

• witness
    replied

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Work harder and beat him out and become the starter then. thats one way around getting more playing time. but that isnt for everyone and some programs have a hard time going to a better player if they are younger even if they are more deserving. as SDSU had TOB but would not let Sumner get a crack at it till it was way paste the time to make a change. My big concern is Defense, we dont have a lot of depth there imo and loosing talent on D is never a good thing. espicially if they were expected to contribute.

Leave a comment:

• goon
    replied

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
    sorry to hear that about Kline. It was nice to have there, in case something bad should happen to Austin.

However, last year something did happen to Austin and Kline only played a half.

Agreed...it's going to be tough for someone as supposedly as talented as him to sit for another two years, and only get one year of PT.
    Work harder and beat him out and become the starter then. thats one way around getting more playing time. but that isnt for everyone and some programs have a hard time going to a better player if they are younger even if they are more deserving. as SDSU had TOB but would not let Sumner get a crack at it till it was way paste the time to make a change. My big concern is Defense, we dont have a lot of depth there imo and loosing talent on D is never a good thing. espicially if they were expected to contribute.

Leave a comment:

• da_coach
    replied

sorry to hear that about Kline. It was nice to have there, in case something bad should happen to Austin.

However, last year something did happen to Austin and Kline only played a half.

Agreed...it's going to be tough for someone as supposedly as talented as him to sit for another two years, and only get one year of PT.

Leave a comment:

• SDSUAlum08
    replied

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    Terry announced Rath was leaving in his 4/22 blog. He also stated Rob Diane was leaving the team."Defensive end Rob Diane has left the team, Stiegelmeier said. The 6-foot-2, 230-pounder from Plymouth, Minn., came to SDSU as a junior college transfer. He was a redshirt during the 2012 season.Diane is the second defensive lineman loss this spring, following freshman tackle Logan Rath."
    I obviously missed it then. Sorry. Either way, he's a big loss in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• UWMandSDSU
    replied

Terry announced Rath was leaving in his 4/22 blog. He also stated Rob Diane was leaving the team.

"Defensive end Rob Diane has left the team, Stiegelmeier said. The 6-foot-2, 230-pounder from Plymouth, Minn., came to SDSU as a junior college transfer. He was a redshirt during the 2012 season.
    Diane is the second defensive lineman loss this spring, following freshman tackle Logan Rath."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X