Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wayne Haensel

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
    In the spirit of "bring on the bucking Fison" - I mean Coach no disrespect, plus I'm too lazy to look it up, but I would guess that his record against the Bizun was abyssmal. Granted, he played against some of their powerhouse teams (but I'm hoping one of the Green faithful can tell me what Hawkeye's record was against them in his time here and how many GD National Championships they won)I don't know why I'm bringing this on in this thread, again, I mean no disrespect at all, but simply curious.
    First of all, if I was a family member reading this board, I would argue your post as completely disrespectful. But it is your board.I would like to chime in on Coach Haensel from a USD players perspective. I had met Coach at FCA meetings as he was one of the coaches reps from SDSU and we almost always met somewhere on the Augie campus. His big body gave him a big presence, but he was without a doubt a gentile man in that setting. Everybody loved Coach Haensel.My personal story was from when the U played State in Brookings in 1978. State opened ip that ame with a QB sneak that went 70+ yards. We in turn eventually tied it up, and went on to win that game. When the game was over, Coach Haensel ran out on the field and headed right towards me and gave me this grand ol bear hug, and said something to me that was extremely nice and flattering. I remember looking back into his face (through glasses as thick as pop bottles) and thanking him. He shook my hand and said to me, "kid, I'm glad you're a senior." Another compliment.I tell this story not to draw attention to me, but rather tell you as State fans, that Coach Haensel was in this job for all the right reasons. He was man enough to say the things he did at a point in time I'm sure he wasn't very happy. He was indeed a great man. If any family or friends read this board, know there is one Coyote out there that had a great deal of respect and admiration for the Big Coach. RIP COACH. Even a Coyote will miss ys, that's how good you were.Sorry to take up this space the week of your big game, but I wanted to share. Good luck in Fargo. I Dodd think ou are going to win.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
      First of all, if I was a family member reading this board, I would argue your post as completely disrespectful. But it is your board.I would like to chime in on Coach Haensel from a USD players perspective. .
      TRUST me - It was not meant in disrespect of any nature. I was simply caught up in the moment of the upcoming game in Fargo and curious.

Coach Haensel was kind to me as a youngster when my older brother played for him, he was kind to me as a student in his classroom and anytime I came across him in Brookings. My comment was ill advised, but not intended as anything disrespectful - my apologies for making the comment or asking the question.

Comment

BTW - Yoteforever - thanks for sharing your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
          BTW - Yoteforever - thanks for sharing your experience.
          You're welcome. Good luck in Fargo

Comment

In defense of Wayne Haensel and his record against NDSU, he coached during a period of expanding sports and was very under funded compared to NDSU. I believe Coach Haensel did the best he could with the resources available. Title IX started in 1975 and I believe he took over in 1983, when SDSU had increase to 18 to 20 sports. NDSU had only 12 to 14 sports at that time with a large fund rasing efforts and a well funded football program. Only a mircle worker could have had a winning record against the bison during his era. One thing that really bothered Wayne when Mike Daly took over was the commitment by the Admin to increase the funding for football with addtional staff. Wayne had to rely on Swimming and Baseball head coaches to double as assistant football coaches. So there you are, his record against the Bison as an assist and head coach was about 1-17. SDSU beat NDSU in 1975 and it was until 1993 that we beat them again. A real drought. If you look at the scores in the media guide, you would have found the answer to your questions.
            My condolences to the family of Wayne Haensel.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 12-01-2012, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X