• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpeedRabbit
    replied
    Re: DiJon Starr not returning

[QUOTE=NoVaJack;180731]
    Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
    My gut feeling is that there is more to this than meets the eye.. The academic stuff should have been released well before now.[/QUOTE

Gut feeling? Unless you got more, this is unfair to the kid.
    I don't have any more info and I'm not being unfair here in my opinion. In some cases there is more than what gets published and with this being so late it just raised my eyebrows some.

Leave a comment:

• joeboo22
    replied

could be, or he could have been taking summer courses, or online classes or taking a class at another university over the summer or trying to get a class he has taken prior to transfer to SDSU. There are many circumstances that could cause it to wait this long. Could be an appeal or who knows what, probably only Dijon and the coach knows what truely is the reason it took so long. Or like you said maybe it could be something else.

Leave a comment:

• NoVaJack
    replied

[QUOTE=SpeedRabbit;180730]My gut feeling is that there is more to this than meets the eye.. The academic stuff should have been released well before now.[/QUOTE

Gut feeling? Unless you got more, this is unfair to the kid.

Leave a comment:

• SpeedRabbit
    replied

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I believe this is the correct explanation of what is required and what happened. I hope Djion's family has the resources to finance this fall' s costs. Without a full ride, the doors slam on you in a hurry
    My gut feeling is that there is more to this than meets the eye.. The academic stuff should have been released well before now.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    Progress towards degree requirements don't come into play until an athlete's 3rd year. At the start of your 3rd year you must have 40% of your graduation requirements completed. 60% by 4th year and 80% by 5th year. It is also known as the 40/60/80 rule.

The only logical things that could have happened in year 1 of Dijon's academic career are:

1. He did not complete AND pass 24 credits during his first year (including this summer).
    2. His grade point average in year 1 was below a 2.0. This and #1 go hand-in-hand if he fails some classes in year 1. One can also get a lot of Ds and Cs and also fall below 2.0.

My gut says Dijon was not just a poor student but also didn't show a lot of enthusiasm about going to class and helping his own cause. If a kid works at it really hard but just struggles with school the coaches aren't just going to show him the door after 1 year.
    I believe this is the correct explanation of what is required and what happened. I hope Djion's family has the resources to finance this fall' s costs. Without a full ride, the doors slam on you in a hurry

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    It could be bad grades from 1st academic year. He was probably trying to take an on-line class or summer class and that is why it is just being announced now.

It could also be a how far along you are. In D-I athletics you are required to be so far along on your degree after each semester. This can hurt kids who did not achieve any college credits during high school. It is why many athletes come in right after graduating high school and take summer classes so they don't have to over-book themselves during the season. I know Zach Monagan is doing that for the mens basketball team.
    Progress towards degree requirements don't come into play until an athlete's 3rd year. At the start of your 3rd year you must have 40% of your graduation requirements completed. 60% by 4th year and 80% by 5th year. It is also known as the 40/60/80 rule.

The only logical things that could have happened in year 1 of Dijon's academic career are:

1. He did not complete AND pass 24 credits during his first year (including this summer).
    2. His grade point average in year 1 was below a 2.0. This and #1 go hand-in-hand if he fails some classes in year 1. One can also get a lot of Ds and Cs and also fall below 2.0.

My gut says Dijon was not just a poor student but also didn't show a lot of enthusiasm about going to class and helping his own cause. If a kid works at it really hard but just struggles with school the coaches aren't just going to show him the door after 1 year.

Leave a comment:

• joeboo22
    replied

It could be bad grades from 1st academic year. He was probably trying to take an on-line class or summer class and that is why it is just being announced now.

It could also be a how far along you are. In D-I athletics you are required to be so far along on your degree after each semester. This can hurt kids who did not achieve any college credits during high school. It is why many athletes come in right after graduating high school and take summer classes so they don't have to over-book themselves during the season. I know Zach Monagan is doing that for the mens basketball team.

Leave a comment:

• SpeedRabbit
    replied

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
    My assumption is that Dijon has the fall semester to get his grades on track and if so he will rejoin the team.

I believe DE Joe Kennedy had a similar situation. He was dismissed from the team because of his academic standing but now he has his grades in shape and will be playing this fall.

If he can't get his grades where they need to be than he will probably go the route of Eric Koehlmoos and have to transfer down or to a JUCO if he wants to play college football.
    Will be interesting to see what happens. Tough to lose a good football player.

Leave a comment:

• mitchell
    replied

My assumption is that Dijon has the fall semester to get his grades on track and if so he will rejoin the team.

I believe DE Joe Kennedy had a similar situation. He was dismissed from the team because of his academic standing but now he has his grades in shape and will be playing this fall.

If he can't get his grades where they need to be than he will probably go the route of Eric Koehlmoos and have to transfer down or to a JUCO if he wants to play college football.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    If either his high school grades or test scores do not meet requirements,I believe the JUCO route is the only way to get eligible at the NCAA level.. It has to be an entrance problem,since he has never taken any college courses.
    No its not an entrance problem, he has one year of academic experience under his belt and apparently things did not progress as everyone hoped. I suspect the kid will leave since he probably has no other resources available to pay his tuition. I honestly think Stig would give him another chance if he would right the ship in the classroom.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 06-29-2011, 10:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• UWMandSDSU
    replied

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    If either his high school grades or test scores do not meet requirements,I believe the JUCO route is the only way to get eligible at the NCAA level.. It has to be an entrance problem,since he has never taken any college courses.
    He was a redshirt freshmen last year, so it was due to his grades during his 1st year.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
    The Jacks have a great reputation with the High School Players in the Northwest Suburban Conferance. The Bison not so. 5 years ago the Bison might have, but no longer. The NWSC is probably the second toughest conferance in Minnesota. Most of the schools have huge student populations.

Dijon would have helped with Kline from Blaine and the walk on QB from Andover. Maybe he helped with Schneider from Andover also.

I think since it was purely academics which caused Dijonn's departure, it wouldn't affect recruiting.

My question still is - Does Dijon still have a chance to redeem himself, raise his grades, and get back on the team?

Stig certainly has the integrity. It shows when he lets a player of Dijonn's caliber go. Stig does not mess around. I think this helps recruiting not hinders it. The Jacks expect a certain caliber of young man to play for them.

Leave a comment:

• shot_5533
    replied

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
    I was just thinking didn't he help recruit a couple guys out of the cities. I hope this doesn't jepordize their willingness to stay on the team as well. You never know with recruits right out of high school.
    The Jacks have a great reputation with the High School Players in the Northwest Suburban Conferance. The Bison not so. 5 years ago the Bison might have, but no longer. The NWSC is probably the second toughest conferance in Minnesota. Most of the schools have huge student populations.

Dijon would have helped with Kline from Blaine and the walk on QB from Andover. Maybe he helped with Schneider from Andover also.

I think since it was purely academics which caused Dijonn's departure, it wouldn't affect recruiting.

My question still is - Does Dijon still have a chance to redeem himself, raise his grades, and get back on the team?

Stig certainly has the integrity. It shows when he lets a player of Dijonn's caliber go. Stig does not mess around. I think this helps recruiting not hinders it. The Jacks expect a certain caliber of young man to play for them.

Leave a comment:

• shot_5533
    replied

This is a big loss. Dijon had pass rushing ability from the middle and would have seen the field next year. He is a good young man. I hope he can get his affairs in order. Does anyone know if he still is in school?

His old teamate and future Jack, QB Eric Kline helped win the Minnesota HS football All Star game on Saturday with his punting. The Minneapolis Star and Tribune wrote about it.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
    I wonder if there is any chance he can rejoin the team if he get's his academics in order.

Dijon was one of the better recruits for the 2010 class. I guess his absence this season will open up opportunities for guys like Josiah Fitzsimmons and Simote Moala.
    Waiting for TV to reply to goon's question about that. Certainly disappointing but also a reality that our staff is prepared to deal with.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X