Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Schedule

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
    $185k for a potential loss. Ugh. Fork out the extra $15k for a probable win. It will help in the long run. More confidence = likelihood of winning more games = more people at home games = cancelling out the $15k difference.
    If a person really wanted to split hairs (hares?) any game is a potential loss, no matter what you pay.

I prefer to look at this as an opportunity for this team to come out and beat these good teams and gain a lot of momentum for the conference season. As far as attendance goes, I think that there are many people out there that would love to go to a game where the opponent is of a higher quality.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      If a person really wanted to split hairs (hares?) any game is a potential loss, no matter what you pay.

I prefer to look at this as an opportunity for this team to come out and beat these good teams and gain a lot of momentum for the conference season. As far as attendance goes, I think that there are many people out there that would love to go to a game where the opponent is of a higher quality.
      I agree on the attendance. I lived in SD during the 2007 season and had season tickets. I moved to Minnesota in 2008 and have not had season tickets since. I have come back for a game or two each of the last 3 seasons. With the schedule we have my wife and I are planning to purchase season tickets for this season. If we had scheduled a D2 school instead of SUU, I doubt we would get season tickets. We can complain the schedule strength hurts our play-off chances, but if we would have won the games against both ISUs last season like we were supposed to, we would have made the play-offs.
      Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Hambone View Post
        Lindenwood is actually NAIA recalssing to DII. They start MIAA conference schedule in 2012 I believe.....
        Hey I fixed it before you posted this. SO there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          Lindenwood is an NAIA program that either lost to or beat USF in the title game a few years ago. They are not DI or FCS.
          Yes I got this after doing a google and I fixed my original post before I read yours and HAMBONE'S correcting post. Thank you to both of you. Seems like there was a wood in the scheduling alliance of the Great west, Longwood? Maybe, and I thought that was USD's opponent and that's were I got messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            Yes I got this after doing a google and I fixed my original post. Seems like there was a wood in the scheduling alliance of the Great west, Longwood? Maybe, and I thought that was were I got messed up.
            Longwood (VA) is a D-I independent. Jacks played them some, but the Lancers never signed up for the scheduling alliance or the Great West.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
              Longwood (VA) is a D-I independent. Jacks played them some, but the Lancers never signed up for the scheduling alliance or the Great West.
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                Well, if you look at the schedule of the top programs, the ones who made the playoffs last year... that's not how it works... Eastern Washington played a D2 team. Delaware played West Chester. North Dakota State played Morgan State and USD. Georgia Southern played Savannah State. Villanova played Towson.

You can pretty much run through the FCS playoff field and you'll find that just about every team played some weaker or lower division opponent in an out-of-conference game. So while it's nice to say we should play these kinds of games... so should everybody else. But they don't. So we're at a disadvantage in the end.

If we'd have beaten North Dakota State in a winnable game in Fargo they wouldn't have made the playoffs and if we'd have taken care of conference business at home a little bit better we'd have been in the playoffs.

Comment

Lindenwood's basketball coach is Brad Soderberg, former SDSu coach. In their final NAIA season they have a 24-3 record with 3 regular season games to go. Brad left SDSU to become an assistant at Wisconsin and then was the head coach at St. Louis for a few seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by valleyrabbit View Post
                    I agree on the attendance. I lived in SD during the 2007 season and had season tickets. I moved to Minnesota in 2008 and have not had season tickets since. I have come back for a game or two each of the last 3 seasons. With the schedule we have my wife and I are planning to purchase season tickets for this season. If we had scheduled a D2 school instead of SUU, I doubt we would get season tickets. We can complain the schedule strength hurts our play-off chances, but if we would have won the games against both ISUs last season like we were supposed to, we would have made the play-offs.

im also glad we didnt schedule a d2 team or some other cupcake. i want to go watch a competive game, not a 50-0 blowout. i would still get season tickets no matter who was scheduled but will enjoy an southern utah game more

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post

Here is where you are wrong. The majority of our fan base especially the students have not chosen to show up for some high quality non-conference and conference games. While most on here understand who some of these opponents are most don't know Georgia Southern from Lindenwood. This has proven out in every sport. In football especially it's more about when the game is played than who. SUU never drew well at the end of the year. I think if we played Minnesota Duluth or SUU the attendence would be good for an opening game. Difference is one game you pay maybe $50k and the other $185K and one game allows you to work on some things and the other could put in a hole you never dig out of. I hate to see us give up so much of the revenue too SUU that we pick up from the FBS opponent Illinois.

Comment

I don't know if SUU is a good choice or not. That price tag seems very high.

I do know, however, that I would have to be pretty desperate for entertainment to drive to Brookings (2.5 hrs) to watch the Jacks throttle some D2 team in a meaninless game. A likely blowout in what is essentially an exhibition game is not appealing to a lot of people. Bring in a decent team and challenge yourself a little if you can.

Comment

The Cereal Bowl, which the SUU game will be, has a history of drawing 12K plus to watch the Jacks play. These have usually been wins for SDSU (last year exception). Ga Southern, the very first ever MVFC game (YSU), both blow-out wins over pre-season receiving votes/ ranked teams.

Let's enjoy another trademark SDSU D-I year, and see some tough MVFC games also. Jacks do well, and we could even see SDSU as a seeded team. Playing home games in Dec. has to be high in the AD's wish list, because NOBODY would want to be here in Brookings (besides possibly the Big Sky teams/ NDSU).

The schedule is what it is, and if Jacks run well thru the schedule, they will be selected.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            Well, if you look at the schedule of the top programs, the ones who made the playoffs last year... that's not how it works... Eastern Washington played a D2 team. Delaware played West Chester. North Dakota State played Morgan State and USD. Georgia Southern played Savannah State. Villanova played Towson.

You can pretty much run through the FCS playoff field and you'll find that just about every team played some weaker or lower division opponent in an out-of-conference game. So while it's nice to say we should play these kinds of games... so should everybody else. But they don't. So we're at a disadvantage in the end.
                            Townson is in the CAA so Nova had to play them, thats like people saying we played Ind. St the past couple years before this last one. Savannah St. is FCS, as well is Morgan St. and USD. I think that Savannah St. used to be some sort of rivalry w/ GSU but I could be wrong. I'm all for us playing a crap FCS, but scheduling a D2 is dumb because that makes the rest of your schedule harder because its like taking a game off the schedule when it comes to the playoff selection commitee.
                            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                              Townson is in the CAA so Nova had to play them, thats like people saying we played Ind. St the past couple years before this last one. Savannah St. is FCS, as well is Morgan St. and USD. I think that Savannah St. used to be some sort of rivalry w/ GSU but I could be wrong. I'm all for us playing a crap FCS, but scheduling a D2 is dumb because that makes the rest of your schedule harder because its like taking a game off the schedule when it comes to the playoff selection commitee.

Well to say USD is crap is a little over the top, they do have 1 more FBS win than SDSU.........
                              BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                                Well to say USD is crap is a little over the top, they do have 1 more FBS win than SDSU.........
                                Not a smack thread.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X