Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Augie to the Summit?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Augie to the Summit?

    There is a rumor on the Goyotes board that Sanford is offering a $100,000,000 endowment for Augie to go D1 without football. There is no attribution for the rumor given and it isn't clear whether it is Denny Sanford or Sanford Health.

  • #2
    Re: Augie to the Summit?

    Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
    There is a rumor on the Goyotes board that Sanford is offering a $100,000,000 endowment for Augie to go D1 without football. There is no attribution for the rumor given and it isn't clear whether it is Denny Sanford or Sanford Health.
    Three D1's in SD??

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Augie to the Summit?

      Why would Sanford give Augie $100 million for moving its athletics department to DI?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Augie to the Summit?

        Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
        Why would Sanford give Augie $100 million for moving its athletics department to DI?
        When your worth over a billion why not. but I doubt its true. unless he wants a college named after him too. Sanford University? If augie figured a way to pull in a donation like that, good for them and I would be impressed.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

        Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Augie to the Summit?

          Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
          Why would Sanford give Augie $100 million for moving its athletics department to DI?
          A very good question with out a good answer.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Augie to the Summit?

            Originally posted by goon View Post
            When your worth over a billion why not. but I doubt its true. If augie figured a way to pull in a donation like that, good for them and I would be impressed.
            Maybe if you are talking Denny sure but it seems like some are talking about Sanford Health, I don't really get what a health system would get from giving a $100 million to a small private school to move up to DI.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Augie to the Summit?

              Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
              Three D1's in SD??
              That would be a really bad idea. Not enough athletes, fan support, sponsorship dollars etc to fund 3 universities. Unless we are content to be a low major with minimal future aspirations. How high of ticket prices are we willing to pay to fund the replacements for Stig, TJ and AJ.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Augie to the Summit?

                Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                Maybe if you are talking Denny sure but it seems like some are talking about Sanford Health, I don't really get what a health system would get from giving a $100 million to a small private school to move up to DI.
                if it would be Sanford health that's question really worth asking, and I bet a lot of patients would find paying their bills a little hard to swallow when the system would give 100 mil away to a college. if its for a new med school or something its one thing but for athletics, not so much.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

                Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Augie to the Summit?

                  Originally posted by goon View Post
                  if it would be Sanford health that's question really worth asking, and I bet a lot of patients would find paying their bills a little hard to swallow when the system would give 100 mil away to a college. if its for a new med school or something its one thing but for athletics, not so much.
                  Employees would also be pissed, it wouldn't play out well at all in Fargo.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Augie to the Summit?

                    if it is Denny, he has often been quoted as saying that plans to die broke, i.e., give all of his money away. I would not be at all surprised to see him make major gifts, much larger than the major gifts he has already made, to SDSU, USD, and perhaps Augie in the not too distant future.

                    I have been hearing more comments that seem to have some legitimacy here in Sioux Falls that the decision to move up has been made at Augie, it is the timing that is in question. In at least one case, the comment included an expected large donation from someone, no name was mentioned.

                    This may all turn out to be just so much message board gossip, but it may also turn out to have some legitimacy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Augie to the Summit?

                      Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                      I don't really get what a health system would get from giving a $100 million to a small private school to move up to DI.
                      As a not-for-profit they have to spend their money or risk getting taxed on all of it... Think about that.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Augie to the Summit?

                        Originally posted by slosho View Post
                        As a not-for-profit they have to spend their money or risk getting taxed on all of it... Think about that.
                        They do but if a not for profit had 100 mil to donate to a college athletic program that's going to raise a lot of questions and tick off patients and employees. donate some here and there as both Sanford and avera have is one thing. 100 mil, that's a quarter of what Denny gave the health system in his original donation which I would guess went to their foundation.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

                        Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Augie to the Summit?

                          Originally posted by slosho View Post
                          As a not-for-profit they have to spend their money or risk getting taxed on all of it... Think about that.
                          I know a lot of Sanford employees that could easily help them spend their excess money to avoid taxation.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Augie to the Summit?

                            Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                            That would be a really bad idea. Not enough athletes, fan support, sponsorship dollars etc to fund 3 universities. Unless we are content to be a low major with minimal future aspirations. How high of ticket prices are we willing to pay to fund the replacements for Stig, TJ and AJ.
                            Exactly. Not to be a debbie downer but I’ve said from the beginning that if Augie moves to D1 I’ll probably lose some interest in the Jacks. Too many schools for such a small population.
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Augie to the Summit?

                              Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                              I know a lot of Sanford employees that could easily help them spend their excess money to avoid taxation.
                              Do we think the Pentagon makes money?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X