Augie to the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by filbert View Post
    What with everything going on in and around higher education, I am fairly sure that many colleges will have far greater worries than intercollegiate athletics in the next couple of years.

For example: a lot of people were exposed to distance learning in the past few months that would never have otherwise considered it. With distance learning, it's as easy to "attend" a college in NY, Texas or California as it is to attend one via distance learning five miles away. Why distance-learn from Localtown University when you can do it from a college elsewhere with a better national reputation?

I suspect many traditional residential campus colleges and universities will find it impossible to successfully compete in the coming years--smaller state institutions and less-well-known privates are particularly at risk.
    You have said a mouthful of what is currently going on. If we shut down like we have, starting back up no doubt everyone is faced with better way options. Distance learning one of them.
    I am glad I am retired and not in the job market.

Comment

• St. Thomas move on NCAA agenda this week. http://www.startribune.com/st-thomas...eek/571252902/

Comment

• I just noticed a major gift to Augustana by one of its all time great basketball players Bob Swanhorst of Cresbard SD. I remember Bob competing against the Jacks. Coach Ole Odney stuck his neck out and recruited Swanhorst, Howie Bich from Yale near Huron, and a third one from Class B.. It was very generous of Swanhorst to give a million bucks. Apparently he has done some good financial planning. Teachers generally are not that wealthy.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...ps/3746359001/

Comment

• Wow! Just read that Stephanie is being nominated for US Attorney for SD or a Federal Judgeship. Supposely the end of reign at Augustana University. Stay tuned.

Comment

• .... and Augie D1 aspirations?

Comment

• Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post
              .... and Augie D1 aspirations?
              Yes it makes you wonder. Kabbenhoft retired from Sanford needs something to do.

Comment

• Being reported Augie is adding DivI Hockey with on campus rink. *Who has deep pockets that is a hockey fan. Wowsers.

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...156809732?s=21

*Now we know who is funding it: https://twitter.com/DBrownMidcoSN/st...56510104162307
                Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 06-16-2021, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                  Being reported Augie is adding DivI Hockey with on campus rink. *Who has deep pockets that is a hockey fan. Wowsers.

https://twitter.com/argusmattz/statu...156809732?s=21

*Now we know who is funding it: https://twitter.com/DBrownMidcoSN/st...56510104162307
                  Prediction: Future myopic Sioux Falls media sports coverage priorities:

1. Augie hockey
                  2. Vikings
                  3. Sioux Falls minor league/semi-pro teams
                  4. USF and all other Augie sports
                  5. High school sports
                  6. Twins, Timberwolves, Wild (Twins may move up to #4 for summer)
                  7. All other area colleges and universities (mainly reading press releases from the schools with occasional B-roll if their videographers don't have anything better to do)
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

• I think this is a brilliant move by Augie...

Comment

• Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      I think this is a brilliant move by Augie...
                      A good move for Angie, also just about the only one available to them to get a nose under the D-I tent absent an invite from an all-sports D-I conference.

and, apparently, Augie has no concerns from a title IX standpoint--has anybody seen anything about them adding women's hockey?
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

• Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        I think this is a brilliant move by Augie...
                        are you serious Clark?

Not sure if your joking. Just curious, because many thought SDSU should have added hockey when we went D-1. All I see is an icredibly expensive sport and would have to add womens hockey which makes it even more expensive or it becomes a major title 9 issue. they are starting from scratch and even with capital in hand, moving everything to D-1 will be very difficult to maintain that IMHO.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

• Originally posted by goon View Post

are you serious Clark?

Not sure if your joking. Just curious, because many thought SDSU should have added hockey when we went D-1. All I see is an icredibly expensive sport and would have to add womens hockey which makes it even more expensive or it becomes a major title 9 issue. they are starting from scratch and even with capital in hand, moving everything to D-1 will be very difficult to maintain that IMHO.
                          Totally serious Gook, can remain DII in all other sports if they choose. No other DI hockey teams in the state. A city that shows up for hockey as seen by attendence with the Stampede. I don't see them adding women's hockey, but not sure about their current title IX situation. If TDenny is fronting a significant piece of the start-up money I think its no brainer as do many other people locally and in other hockey markets.

Comment

• My opinion is that if Augie goes D1 with hockey, we won’t see them at D1 in any other sport for quite some time. This feels to me like a last ditch attempt to get the University to D1 in some level. They can put a date out for 2026 all they want, but I don’t think it’s happening. And I think if they do try to move everything up in 2026, it may likely kill their hockey program 3 years into its life. I can’t see a way they could move all sports D1 and have hockey. Not to mention I think this all but guarantees that Augie D1 football, should it ever happen, will be non-scholarship…. Which is exactly why I don’t see anything but hockey (if that) moving up to D1. The D1 dream for Augie died with St Thomas and the Sanford/Krabbenhoft issues in my opinion. I don’t think the SF media can revive this, no matter how hard they try.

Comment

• Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              A good move for Angie, also just about the only one available to them to get a nose under the D-I tent absent an invite from an all-sports D-I conference.

and, apparently, Augie has no concerns from a title IX standpoint--has anybody seen anything about them adding women's hockey?
                              If the Jacks ever play Augie in FB, someone needs to make the creepy Mick Jagger "Angie" whisper from "Angie" their entrance music after this.

Regarding Title IX, this suggests they have a 10 versus 11 male:female sports imbalance now, so men's hockey would negate that.
                              Last edited by jakejc795; 06-16-2021, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• There seem to be quite a few colleges with D-2 sports programs that offer D-1 hockey. The Summit League doesn't want Augie, but hockey will welcome them because the sport needs teams. So, it's a pretty good fit.
                                P.S. I'm guessing that USF will be the next area college to somehow benefit from T. Denny Sanford's vast wealth.
                                This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X