Augie to the Summit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Augie to the Summit?

The rumor I've heard on the streets is $150 million from Sanford. The football team would move to non-scholarship FCS. No inside info just word on the streets.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
      The rumor I've heard on the streets is $150 million from Sanford. The football team would move to non-scholarship FCS. No inside info just word on the streets.

Go Rabbits!
      The hospital or the person?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
        There have been some weird things happening at Augie. After Herseth Sandlin became president, the AD was squeezed out and a new one is being hired. One could speculate that there was a disagreement over the direction of the athletic program. Zimmer is among the Sioux Falls media members who think Augie will go D-1. I don't know if he has inside information or is just expressing his personal hope. He's kind of a cheerleader for Augie and USF.
        Zimmer definitely is a cheerleader for both. Couldn’t believe the day he said that a Angie or USF game is a better value than an SDSU game as our beat writer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
          Zimmer definitely is a cheerleader for both. Couldn’t believe the day he said that a Angie or USF game is a better value than an SDSU game as our beat writer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I suppose we are all biased in some shape or form. Zimmer must not like the 55 mile drive to Brookings. If anyone knows what is going on at Augie,it is Zimmer and he has stayed away from talking about the Larschied departure, which came out of nowhere. Larschied worked at SDSU HPER. I don't recall his function, but was introduced to him at one of the Endowment Banquets and he seemed like a bright young man. He left SDSU to become the AD at SF Roosvelt and then went on to be AD at Augie taking Bill Gross place after retirement. Larschied told me played D1 football somewhere but I dont recall where. I suspect he got to know the Augie numbers and may not have agreed to a move as it is very risky situation to be in. Cost of Attendance has to be a much greater number than it is at USD or SDSU and when you multiply that times 150 or more scholarships, it is a ton of money. The major gift angle is a key to what will happen. Its going to take more than 150 million to make it fly. Augie still will not outdraw the skyfarts.

Comment

Go Rabbits!
            It may be true but quite often those type of donations have the stipulation with them that they have to raise matching funds in order to get the main donation. I'm sure there are a lot of variables going on and only a few people really know the truth. If they make the move and do it the right way, I am not against it. Besides, its been a long time since I have heard the Augie s?x chant at a sporting event.

Comment

Go Rabbits!
              This would make the most sense for Augie. Non-scholly football, put their money into men's/women's basketball
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                If anyone knows what is going on at Augie,it is Zimmer and he has stayed away from talking about the Larschied departure, which came out of nowhere.
                Believe him or not, Zimmer is a lot more connected to people at SDSU, Augie and the Summit League office than any of we are. He sure could be wrong but in last week's live chat he stated that Larschied was "against a DI move" and in regards to Augie moving up he said, "it's happening".

It's going to happen or not regardless of how I feel so I'm not losing any sleep over it one way or another. There certainly is some good in lots more local interest in the league, easier travel (for us fans also), the security of another baseball team and even more reason for the SLT to always be in Sioux Falls. If they throw all their resources at basketball Augie might hang in there better than some of these commuter schools we currently deal with and they have actual fans and an arena. It's also hard not to see a whole lot of similarity between the anti-Augie arguments and the anti-USD arguments from a decade ago. Deja Vu.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                  Believe him or not, Zimmer is a lot more connected to people at SDSU, Augie and the Summit League office than any of we are. He sure could be wrong but in last week's live chat he stated that Larschied was "against a DI move" and in regards to Augie moving up he said, "it's happening".

It's going to happen or not regardless of how I feel so I'm not losing any sleep over it one way or another. There certainly is some good in lots more local interest in the league, easier travel (for us fans also), the security of another baseball team and even more reason for the SLT to always be in Sioux Falls. If they throw all their resources at basketball Augie might hang in there better than some of these commuter schools we currently deal with and they have actual fans and an arena. It's also hard not to see a whole lot of similarity between the anti-Augie arguments and the anti-USD arguments from a decade ago. Deja Vu.
                  Comparing Augie moving up to USD? Not even close.

One of the reasons SDSU and NDSU pushed so hard to move up was that D2 had become watered down. We needed to separate ourselves from the small schools moving up from NAIA and the mindset of a lot of our NCC partners who wanted to keep scholarships low and not spend the money necessary to compete. Welcoming Augustana feels like a step backward.

As for the SLT staying in Sioux Falls. It isn't going anywhere if Augustana does not join. Where does it move? Omaha? Minneapolis? Denver? The league would be lucky to get 3,000 in the stands at any of those sites, and 2,000 would be SDSU fans so really nothing would change. Still a "home" game for SDSU. Still whining by our friends down south and up north. With far less revenue and exposure for the league.

Plus, if our entire D1 existence has now been boiled down to keeping the SLT in Sioux Falls? I suggest we have lost our way as an athletic department.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                    This would make the most sense for Augie. Non-scholly football, put their money into men's/women's basketball
                    That could be said for most schools.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post

One of the reasons SDSU and NDSU pushed so hard to move up was that D2 had become watered down. We needed to separate ourselves from the small schools moving up from NAIA and the mindset of a lot of our NCC partners who wanted to keep scholarships low and not spend the money necessary to compete. Welcoming Augustana feels like a step backward.

As for the SLT staying in Sioux Falls. It isn't going anywhere if Augustana does not join. Where does it move? Omaha? Minneapolis? Denver? The league would be lucky to get 3,000 in the stands at any of those sites, and 2,000 would be SDSU fans so really nothing would change. Still a "home" game for SDSU. Still whining by our friends down south and up north. With far less revenue and exposure for the league.

Plus, if our entire D1 existence has now been boiled down to keeping the SLT in Sioux Falls? I suggest we have lost our way as an athletic department.
                      Agree with all of this.

Also, USD took longer to gain a foothold in the mens sports transition than SDSU did, and we still don't know how that success is going to replicate for them. They've been good in men's bball for two seasons, and football for one. The trend is pointing up, but time will tell how well they've established themselves in DI.

Point being, if the second largest school in the state, with the largest endowment and second largest fan/alumni base took the better part of 10 years to "arrive" in DI, I don't think it's fair to compare naysayers of the USD move to the naysayers of the Augie move.

SDSU transitioned better than anyone could have imagined. USD took longer, but their women's programs were competitive right away. I think it's very reasonable to assume that Augie would have a tougher time than USD did in the transition, even with a large donation.

Comment

29...I may have to use your last sentence as my new sig line. Well said.
                        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I happen to agree with you but I've seen the anti-Summit people make the "but there's no guarantee the SLT will always be in Sioux Falls anyway" point multiple times on this board. You should ask them where it's going to go.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            Yeah, then they can semi-regularly get the snot beat out of them in football by SDSU and USD. That's going to go over well with Augie boosters. Haha.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                              I happen to agree with you but I've seen the anti-Summit people make the "but there's no guarantee the SLT will always be in Sioux Falls anyway" point multiple times on this board. You should ask them where it's going to go.
                              I see it coming from Zimmer, a lot. In every chat, when Augie comes up he talks about how it would help keep the SLT in Sioux Falls. I have yet to see anyone seriously discuss moving the tournament. And to do so, would be one of the dumbest moves the league could make. Of course Zimmer is also good at parroting the USD/NDSU line that SDSU would have far fewer NCAA bids if the SLT moved. Considering that 4 of our 5 bids on the Men's side have come as a #1 or #2 seed, and that we lost one bid from the #1 slot (to NDSU). That's an inane statement.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think more people on here have argued that if SDSU and/or USD leave the SL for say the MVC, then the conference tourney would almost have to move. I'm of the camp that as long as SDSU or USD are in the SL, the tourney will be always be in Sioux Falls. It would be very hard to argue against that. It is possible Douple and the SL are trying to secure more guaranteed attendance at the SL tourney knowing that SDSU, USD and NDSU aren't going to be in that league forever. That is maybe where Augie comes into play and why the SL would be very interested in adding Augie.

It might be 2-5 years, it might be 15-20 years...but the SL won't be our home forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X