X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joeybrownerHOF
    replied
    Re: ORU to Southland a done deal

I believe Belmont (Nashville, TN) is joining the OVC next year to take it to 11. NKU, if they join, would make an even 12.

Leave a comment:

• zooropa
    replied

The Summit is not an upgrade for OVC schools. The OVC has a very tight footprint.

Leave a comment:

• joeybrownerHOF
    replied

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
    My thoughts on teams joining the Summit:

-Chicago St (independent) - Summit already kicked them out so not sure they want them back
    -Eastern Illinois (OVC) - Would need MVC for football
    -Morehead St (OVC) - Would need MVC for Football
    -SIU-Edwardsville(OVC) -
    -UND (Big Sky) Would need MVC for Football
    -Any Horizon School or MVC school but it would be step down for them
    -Northern Kentucky (DII)
    -Minnesota State Mankato (DII)
    -St Cloud St (DII)
    -Winona St (DII)

Would UND do the football in Big Sky, all other sports in Summit? Big Sky is now allowing affiliate memberships for football only. I also don't think they are an official Big Sky member until July 1, 2012.
    Ballermine
    UMSL

Leave a comment:

• mitchell
    replied

My thoughts on teams joining the Summit:

-Chicago St (independent) - Summit already kicked them out so not sure they want them back
    -Eastern Illinois (OVC) - Would need MVC for football
    -Morehead St (OVC) - Would need MVC for Football
    -SIU-Edwardsville(OVC) -
    -UND (Big Sky) Would need MVC for Football
    -Any Horizon School or MVC school but it would be step down for them
    -Northern Kentucky (DII)
    -Minnesota State Mankato (DII)
    -St Cloud St (DII)
    -Winona St (DII)

Leave a comment:

• YanktonRabbit
    replied

I for one would love to see UND in the Summit League. However, it isn't going to happen without a football option for the Sioux.

Leave a comment:

• Jacks-D1
    replied

Is U of North Dakota an option? My opinion is they would be a good option from SDSU's standpoint. Less travel, familiar opponent, etc.

Leave a comment:

• LakeJack
    replied

More from NKU
    http://nkunorse.com/custompages/guid...asibilitystudy

Leave a comment:

• LakeJack
    replied

posted this on another thread, seems like it might fit here.

http://www.thenortherner.com/?p=10956

Leave a comment:

• Theee Catrabbit
    replied

Well...looks like ORU found it's easy tix to a March Madness Dance every year. God will provide......

Leave a comment:

• joeybrownerHOF
    replied

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    I am friends with numerous players on the USD club baseball team, I asked them if the school was thinking about bringing it back as a scholarship sport, because they do a pretty good job as a club team. And they all said they asked and were told Title IX prevents them from that.

And I should of clarified what I meant by problems. I don't think they are in big trouble, but from everything I've read and heard they are in no position to be able to add a men's scholarship sport such as baseball.

But to get back to ORU leaving. I don't think its completely taking my toys to another sandbox because I didn't get the conference tournament. But I do think they were upset with the addition of USD before even considering looking at a school closer to them, which I understand, and that SDSU a newcomer got the tournament the first time. I think they will even concede that after Sioux Falls supported the tournament as well as it has the past 3 years it was hard to take it away. I think when the conference added UNO a school that hadn't even made the transition yet that was the final straw.
    Thank you for the clarification. I will agree with that.

Leave a comment:

• bigticket1
    replied

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
    Personally I was hoping they would stay in the Summit. Some of my early random thoughts and questions:

*Does the Summit League need to replace ORU? If so, which schools would be legitimate candidates?
    *When will they be leaving?
    *IF they leave after this year, is there enough time to get a new school in to replace them right away?
    *I really don't want another school in transition to come in. Not interested at all. Bring in someone already established.
    *The Summit League will probably always be a one bid league in basketball so losing a school that has quality program(s) like ORU won't hurt the chances of a second team getting in to the ncaa tournament. Only one was going anyway.
    *Is there a chance this could be the first school to leave the Summit League? Anyone else a possibility?
    You would think a team needs to be added to continue to provide a balanced basketball schedule. Otherwise,there will be a school that would have an open schedule every weekend that would have to be filled in with non-conference games.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    Could it be that ORU is staying put? The article is very tight lipped, but TV is saying in his Tuesday Tidbits that ORU did not send a conference rep to the Summit League Conference meeting going on this week. That speaks volumnes, color them gone.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 10-25-2011, 03:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• zooropa
    replied

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
    Did USD cut any additional mens sports, or add any women's sports during the move to D1? Seems to me that they had to cut Baseball & Wrestling due to problems before the move. Those problems were IMO the real reason USD didn't make the D1 move at the same time as SDSU/NDSU did. I have a hard time believing that they added 21 scholorships for football (42 to 63), and are able offset that completely by unequally funding their Olympic sports teams (i.e. womens T&F, CC, S&D have more scholorships than the mens equivalent sport).

SDSU added the equestrian program which I believe has around 24 scholorships when we made the transition. From What I understand our Olympic sports are fairly equal in Scholorship level.
    The BoR mandated 'equal participation' Title IX compliance at roughly the same time that SDSU went D-1; I think it was part of their "D1 will ruin SDSU, it's up to us to prevent that" crusade (cf annual academic performance reporting, no use of tuition/fees on new facilities or their maintenance).

As a result of the system wide study, SDSU added equestrian and USD dropped baseball.

Both moves were a result of mandated Title IX compliance.

Leave a comment:

• joeboo22
    replied

I am friends with numerous players on the USD club baseball team, I asked them if the school was thinking about bringing it back as a scholarship sport, because they do a pretty good job as a club team. And they all said they asked and were told Title IX prevents them from that.

And I should of clarified what I meant by problems. I don't think they are in big trouble, but from everything I've read and heard they are in no position to be able to add a men's scholarship sport such as baseball.

But to get back to ORU leaving. I don't think its completely taking my toys to another sandbox because I didn't get the conference tournament. But I do think they were upset with the addition of USD before even considering looking at a school closer to them, which I understand, and that SDSU a newcomer got the tournament the first time. I think they will even concede that after Sioux Falls supported the tournament as well as it has the past 3 years it was hard to take it away. I think when the conference added UNO a school that hadn't even made the transition yet that was the final straw.

Leave a comment:

• HoboJack
    replied

Did USD cut any additional mens sports, or add any women's sports during the move to D1? Seems to me that they had to cut Baseball & Wrestling due to problems before the move. Those problems were IMO the real reason USD didn't make the D1 move at the same time as SDSU/NDSU did. I have a hard time believing that they added 21 scholorships for football (42 to 63), and are able offset that completely by unequally funding their Olympic sports teams (i.e. womens T&F, CC, S&D have more scholorships than the mens equivalent sport).

SDSU added the equestrian program which I believe has around 24 scholorships when we made the transition. From What I understand our Olympic sports are fairly equal in Scholorship level.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X