soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: soccer

bigjake, you are dead wrong that uno can't compete. Ask the kids in the program if they would like the challenge to compete at a higher level. I have no doubt that your wrestling, volleyball, softball, and soccer programs could be very competitive right now.

If you are going to base your thoughts on basketball and football, well, that's going to take a little while. SDSU's decision wasn't about 2004-2005, it's about 2014-15.

Comment

bigjake,

UNO's wrestling program could easily be in the top half, more than likely the top quarter of DI schools.

The "I-AA while being a DII school" is just a pipedream from the DII schools that are against a reduction in grants. DI (including I-AA) receives BCS monies that would not be allowed to be shared with the DII schools. The GWFC, for example, uses this money for administrative costs. Why would I-AA schools want a bunch of schools that don't have to field 14 sports, don't have to fund 50% of DI grant levels in at least 12 sports, don't have the academic standards for other athletic programs, etc.? There's absolutely no murmur of anything like this in the I-AA circles, it's only a few DII schools dreaming this up.

Comment

bison guy, I enjoy a lot of your comments - I think you are fair and bring to a lot of good points to the board. I will say though that if enough members get together that changes like the kind that has been discussed and appeared in the Omaha World Herald can happen. I mean using your logic why did the ncaa let schools like und and uno, etc play d1 hockey and stay d2 in every other sport. Obviously schools like the UNiv of Mn and other great hockey schools who play all sports could claim it isn't fair they get to cherry pick like that but that is the way it is set up.
        The all time winningest d2 basketball program (based on no. on national championships is Kentucky Wesleyan College. Heck they play d2 in every sport except fb where they play in the naia. How they are able to do it I don't know - but they do. Exceptions and changes can be made if enough schools want it.
        Also, our coaches including our wrestling coach have expressed doubts that we could compete with our resources in d1. The fb coach knows he can but not the other sports. Please save the smack that they aren't competitors bc we all know that is not true.

Comment

bigjake,

The NCAA already allows a DII or DIII school to have one women's sport and one men's sport participate at the DI level, as long as it is not football or basketball. With both of these sports, there's too much money at stake. A DII or DIII team can also have a DI sport that does not have a championship at their level (such is the case with DII hockey).

This legislation was passed in the early 90's, and was propelled by money. It isn't going to change. It prevented schools like Georgetown from having a DIII athletic program, but getting big money from having a DI BB team in the BB tourney. BTW- ask UND how much money they get from the Frozen Four. The DII/DIII playing up rule says nothing about revenue sharing (and consequently, that's what the DII/DIII schools recieve).

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake
            I think it is safe to say that sdsu will not win a d1aa game this year.  I put the over/under for basketball at one. . . .  But if you can compete with them I will give you your dues and admit I am wrong.  So far no evidence of that in fb . . .
            To bigjake's credit he has already offered up congradulations. However, he is already back tracking. He now claims on another thread that he "always believed though that sdsu will do fine in d1aa fb" . . . "But I have and will continue to maintain they will struggle like crazy in the d1 sports for a long long time." I guess we will just have to prove you wrong, yet again when basketball season comes. The over/under is one . . . : I think we will have you covered.

It is always hard to admit when you wrong, huh?

Go State! ;D

Comment

rabbit 89,  I did think though you would get beat by a lot by southern but I have always maintained that you would compete reasonably well in fb in time bc of it is not that big of a jump in fb as opposed to some of the other sports. I did say though they you won't be able to compete in fb with just 38 scholarships over an entire season. Sure you can pull the occasional upset but over a whole season 38 can't compete with 63. When and if you get to 63 you will do fine. But I have to hand it to you - no matter where someone comes  down on this issue that was a  great win. I just didn't think you could win with 38 rides versus 63 in the first year. That was impressive.
               I have always maintained with my umkc experience that there will be some unbelievable high points (like when umkc beat ksu a couple of years ago in bb) but that the overall experience will bring more pain than exhilaration.  I would love to be in your position though and play 1aa fb.  I think that would be great but I am not at all envious of going the d1 route in other sports.  We shall see how that shakes out.  I just don't want to be a bottom feeder.
              I am a Creighton fan too (far behind uno though) and to be fair to sdsu if Evansville can play in the Mo Valley I don't why they wouldn't consider ndsu/sdsu.  Worst case scenario I can't imagine you being any worse than they are.  
              Success to me is
              1. Get a league like mid cont or big sky
              2.  Compete in most sports in the middle of the league
              If you can do I will shout from the mountaintop that I was wrong. Way too early for that.

Comment

Tonight on Sports Nightly, Univ. of Nebraska's radio call-in show, Marc Boehm, Executive Associate Athletic Director, was on. Someone (high squeaky voice, could have been one of the uno ladies from this board) called and asked if Boehm was aware of the rumors that uno may be looking at going 1-AA in fb, and if so, would UNL take a position on the move?

Boehm said he had heard the rumors and that UNL would fully support uno, would like to see it happen, and wished them well in making it happen. I think he even said UNL would do whatever it could to help make it happen. The follow up question was, if it happened, would the Huskers be willing to play uno? Boehm said, sure. It would be good for everybody. Why play a Western Illinois when they could play a team from right up the road. He did note that you have to be careful when scheduling 1-AA teams, because the top 1-AA teams aren't much different that a lot of 1-A teams (he cited Furman's OT loss to Pitt on Saturday).

Jim Rose, host of the show, closed the topic by mentioning that South Dakota State had recently gone 1-AA, and that it could be good if other teams in the region went that route, 'cause you could start putting together a conference.
                @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

It wasn't me who called in - i listen to the other sports talk show in town.  Jim Rose and the other guy know nothing about uno sports but the guys know everything (and I mean everything about UNL- jim is the play by play guy) and they obviously  think that unl and our regents wouldn't have a hard time with us going d1aa.  All you naysayers who think it would be impossible for us to do it may be right but it isn't bc LIncoln would fight it.  We would not be competing for the same players.
                  By the way I saw where your vb team lost to American-National University?  I think they are a good naia school but still losing to an naia school? But in fairness you have had some nice victories but you can't lose to an naia team - even a good one. UNO doesn't even do that. Also, I see where your soccer team has begun another scoreless streak.  They must like Omaha a lot bc it seems like they are down here about every weekend lately.  

Comment

Jake,
                    If UNO scheduled NAU in volleyball they would get beat guaranteed, speaking of that does UNO have a volleyball team i can't recall hearing anything ever about their team. Look at the board and see that after our loss to NAU we just knocked off DRAKE a D1 school from your area. That goes along with wins over Boston College, New Mexico, etc. We have a 5-3 record versus D1 volleyball teams.
                    Not bad for a provisional year at a podunk university >
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

UNO has a rich history in volleyball. It has a national championship in volleyball which is more than SDSU can say. UNO also owns the all time series record between the schools. By the way save all the e-mails about all the cross country national championships SDSU has.

Mavericks #1

Comment

That is wonderful for UNO, good luck with that D-II thing. Meanwhile we will be playing and beating teams like UTEP, Drake, and Boston College.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

It is always news when a d1 team gets beat by an naia team - any naia team.   Continued good luck with d1 - win a great one in fb (no doubt about it) but then get smoked in soccer and get beat in vb by an naia team. LIke umkc there are some exhilarating moments like against southern and then a lot of frustation against national american and the soccer team

Comment

Your right it is. D-II is hardly ever news no matter what they do.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake
                              I think it is safe to say that sdsu will not win a d1aa game this year.  I put the over/under for basketball at one.  .  .  .  But if you can compete with them I will give you your dues and admit I am wrong.  So far no evidence of that in fb, soccer or volleyball yet.
                              D-I wins in all three.  Still waiting for our dues and your admission that you were wrong.  

: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :

bigjake, you are becoming a crow connoisseur, and basketball season hasn't even started yet.  Maybe someone who is going to the Cal-Poly game could ask J. Lohr (a SDSU Grad) what whine goes best with crow.  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I think Fat Jake is one of those "crow magnum men" I've heard about!?

Crow= Fat Jake should be full of it by now!

Magnum=a large whine container, holding about 2/5 of a gallon of whine.

Man=that is the only part that really doesn't fit, but 2 out of three is close enough! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

JBNJBQ

Comment

Working...
                                X