soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: soccer

The reasons (in order) why I am interested in sdsu's move to D1.
    1. I lived thru the UMKC naia to d1 transition and thought it was interesting. Went to many games but really never paid much attn. to their philosophical underpinnings behind wanting to go d1 - just followed the men's bb team who for the most part has plodded thru the last 20 years with little to show for it. When I heard that some of the ncc teams were going I wanted to learn about what the decision entails. It is really interesting to me and I have learned a ton on both bisonville and this site. I am not convinced of anything yet (as far as your future success) but am open to learning more.
    2. I wouldn't rule out uno going 1aa in fb especially if they have reclassification eventually where you d2 can play 1aa fb and have 63 scholies and stay d2 in everything else so I am especially interested in your d1aa situation.
    3. My in-laws live in Sioux Falls and we occasionally go to games together at usd, sdsu, or augie - whoever has the best game that night. If sdsu gets into big sky then often they will have the best game to attend. I have been to brookings about 10 times in my life for games.
    4. Finally, it is just an interesting issue to me. I don't know why but it just is. Heck, why do so many people in Omaha love the Cubs. They have never lived there and have absolutely no affiliation to Chicago but they do. Same thing - it is just something that interests them.
    Those are my reasons. The lack of success of UMKC is burned into my psyche and that is why I am skeptical of your future success. (yeah, I know you are the flagship univ. of your state, blah, blah, blah and things are different,etc). We shall see but I am open to learning more and I plan to continue to post once in awhile until I get my "unconditional release".

Comment

A D2 school can compete in D1 in one mens sport and one women's sport.  UNO has hockey at D1, so for them to be D1AA in football and rest D2 will never happen as the NCAA regs do not allow such an arrangement. If UNO wants to go D1AA football, then all the sports must be D1 PERIOD.  NO EXCEPTIONS.  If you think that UNO will go D1AA, Then you need to start lobbying the Nebraska Board of Regents.  Try first with Chuck Hassebrook, the guy who thought UNO a communiting school should not have athletics period. Now if you can get Chuck to come around, then UNO has a chance, but none of those sitting regents want UNO to go D1, so I suspect that is the reason the UNO Chancellor has not said peep about going D1.  She knows better than to p@@s in the wind. ;D

Comment

sdsu fan, You make really good points that I believe are correct and I can't argue at all with your logic. Last week though in the OWH our main columnist (tom shatel) had a tidbit in there about how there is talk that the ncaa will change the rules and let d2 schools compete in d1aa in fb and stay d2 in everything else except for d1 hockey. He then speculated that uno will eventually be in the gateway fb conference. Obviously some rules have to be changed but shatel is a connected guy and he is obviously hearing things. I know it is just his prediction but you never know. I would love that. I hope the regents don't care if we go 1aa in fb - we will not be competing for the kind of players the huskers want and need. Even our fb coach has come out and said he would like to be d1aa and that we could do well.

Comment

I wouldn't put anything past the NCAA. Heck, I thought the 10-year transition to DI was a hard and fast rule. Unless I'm missing something and some regs are hard and others are soft, I see no reason they couldn't change their minds about allowing DII schools to go DIAA in football.
          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

The NCAA is in a lot of ways a legislative body and so rules can change if enough schools have an interest to change. I see no advantage for the NCAA to allow D-II schools to play I-AA football. It is currently not on docket or in any NCAA committee. The NCAA is trying to establish stronger "boarders" between the different divisions. This looks to be wishful thinking on the part of a sports writer in Omaha (if it is true as reported since I have not read his article).

The current NCAA rules allow a lower division school to field a D-I sports team (one each for Men and Women) with the exception of Football, Men's Basketball, and Women's Basketball. I very much doubt that this will change anytime soon. This story may have gotten started because the UNO coaches are worried about what SDSU is going to do to their recruiting. Just a thought. I have not heard anything about this other then what bigjake is saying on several boards.

Never say never, because if enough schools want something the rules can be changed but it won't be soon and UNO will not be in the Gateway, IMHO.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I don't know anything other than what I have read and heard about the prospect of reclassification. I don't know enough about computers to be able to put tom shatel's item up on this site. If you want to see it go
              omaha.com then archives then sep8 then first down and second guesses with tom shatel and you will see the item. That is not the first time I have heard that - our outgoing AD - bob danenhauer -said something to that effect last year about reclassification and he is often pretty knowledgeable. He was also asked last year if sdsu would get a conference and he predicted yes. He thought it would be mid continent.

Comment

Lets assume the measure to allow D1AA football for D2 members and allowing the keeping of other programs D2 competition passes this Jan at the NCAA convention. Okay if UNO moves their football up to D1AA, that would help the Great West Conference another member, but what affect would this have on UNO's membership in the NCC? I am almost certain UNO would have to leave the NCC by virture of being at the next level for football. Can you imagine USD wanting to compete with someone that offers 63 scholarships? Nope. All other programs including BB would have to find a new conference. Hmmm, would it be easier to move to MIAA? Probably not, as if they accepted UNO, the MIAA would demand UNO play football in their league and with 63 scholarships? Nope. Dont think so, so what would the other D2 sports at UNO do? Probably would have to play as an independant. So some of these things make this a Pat Behrn Pipe dream.
                ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

How about those 2-2 Mavs. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

sdsu fan,  You make a really good point.  I can't argue with it at all - we are not going to be an independent - it would be a logistical nightmare.   There went my hopes for d1aa fb.  
                  I thought we would be 9-2 this year - looks more like 7-4 or even 6-5. The one good thing about mediocrity is there are fewer lines at the lemonade stand. We have great lemonade in omaha. We have a high school pass rush. An avg western washington team had the ball for 44 minutes to our 16 - amazing.

Comment

SDSU Fan,

You will be joining us in the ranks of teams that are 2-2 after this weekend. No more cupcakes on your schedule until Augie.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
                      SDSU Fan,

You will be joining us in the ranks of teams that are 2-2 after this weekend. No more cupcakes on your schedule until Augie.
                      You may be right, but I'd much rather be 2-2 with losses to Cal-Davis and Southern than WW and whatever that school from Indiana is called. We'll go back to beating DI BC and finishing ahead of some Big 12 schools. Looking forward to trophy-only hockey? Oh yeah, you're second class in that sport too. The best thing you have going for you is this board. Don't lose it.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
                        SDSU Fan,

I predict Auggie will beat UNO! What will that make you?

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

How about those 2-2 Mavs. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just think about it! UNO has two loses. This board has two losers= Fat Jake and Maverstink #1 and they are from UNO. What a small world!

Comment

JBNJBQ,

You are right about it being a small world. The combined score of both teams in your last weeks game was 41. That is the same amount of years since you last won a conference championship in football (1963). Last time I checked the last ten times we played football we won seven. We maybe struggling this year, but I promise you SDSU is glad it doesn't have to make the roadie down to Omaha this year. I also guarantee you we wouldn't get beat by 52 by a former D2 school and get shut out as well. I will stick by my prediction that you will not win a game against a D1AA football team this year. Georgia Southern played Georgia close for most of the game at Georgia. I cringe to think what they will do to you at their place. Hide the women and children for that one. Does the scoreboard have room for three digits on the Georgia Southern side of the scoreboard.
                            52 is not only how many points that UCD put on you, it is also that average IQ of the people who are entertained by your stupid picture smack. Man you were really right about it being a small world.

Comment

Last time I checked SDSU holds a commanding lead in the all time series against UNO.  SDSU leads:

Wins-Loses-Ties
                              21-13-1

I do admire your brave talk, but clearly UNO wouldn't want anything to do with us this year.  After all, we drilled the #14 team (at the time) from your Division earlier this year.  SDSU 45 - Winona St. 20 (Winona scored a late TD against the second team to make it look a little better).  Winona is currently ranked #20, where is UNO ranked?  Best of luck to you the rest of the way.  Sorry you are not having the kind of season you would like.

SDSU a D-I University!  ;D

Comment

Don't be so hard on the boys from omaha, the ncc, and DII. DII must really be competitive this year - even the USD football team is ranked. USD football ranked in the top 25 - wow - miracles can happen. Hopefully UNO can aspire to reach such goals this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X