Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND vs USD

Originally posted by bisonguy

That would be one of the worst negotiated media contracts for a university. NDSU was paid $100k/yr. by The Forum/WDAY for it's media contract, which included televising one road football game, one women's BB game,a men's BB game, and the coaches' shows. NDSU renegotiated their media deal, as they wanted content control on both of the coaches' TV shows. NDSU is now paid ~86k, and gets the advertising revenue from the commercials during the shows.
    Context is useful here: NDSU is in Fargo, as is WDAY, and Bison football is a much, much bigger deal in NoDak than USD basketball is in SoDak. See any luxury boxes in the DakotaDome? Nope. So why would you even imagine that there is any correlation betwee NDSU's $100k television contract and whatever USD and KELO worked out? It's not a good comparison at all. The only thing I can imagine is that KELO is trying to solidify things in the southern part of the state where it competes with Sioux City television (actually closer to Vermillion than Sioux Falls is).

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
        Context is useful here: NDSU is in Fargo, as is WDAY, and Bison football is a much, much bigger deal in NoDak than USD basketball is in SoDak. See any luxury boxes in the DakotaDome? Nope. So why would you even imagine that there is any correlation betwee NDSU's $100k television contract and whatever USD and KELO worked out? It's not a good comparison at all. The only thing I can imagine is that KELO is trying to solidify things in the southern part of the state where it competes with Sioux City television (actually closer to Vermillion than Sioux Falls is).
        USD basketball might not be as big of a deal as NDSU football but we might also be talking less than $100,000 as well. Nobody said USD got paid that much, only that they got paid.

Comment

How are the USD faithful reacting to this big win? Anyone take a look at their message board to hear how the Yotes are barking? Just wondering. Their fan message board must be going crazy.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
            How are the USD faithful reacting to this big win?  Anyone take a look at their message board to hear how the Yotes are barking?  Just wondering.  Their fan message board must be going crazy.
            Big wins are really nothing new for the Yotes this year so my guess is the fan board really isn't going that crazy at all. We expect to win those games. I understand that your fan board would be going crazy after a win like that, but we've come to expect it at USD.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff

Big wins are really nothing new for the Yotes this year so my guess is the fan board really isn't going that crazy at all. We expect to win those games. I understand that your fan board would be going crazy after a win like that, but we've come to expect it at USD.
              Now I know how you survive as a yote fan, you have a sense of humor.

The only "big" wins USD ever had were over SDSU. The best team in the NCC left after last year so any win this year is tempered by that fact. Another fact, using USD and fan together is a contradiction. Sports are a casual occurence for almost all associated with USD, even the athletes.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff

I was attempting to be sarcastic. I was attempting to point out that the recent Yotes win was met with the same general sense of apathy that encompasses most USD supporters. I actually respect the fact that sports_buff comes on this message board to put in a word or two about USD athletics. At least you care about USD enough to find some venue to express it. On the Argus message board there are more NSU fans than USD.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Now I know how you survive as a yote fan, you have a sense of humor.  

The only "big" wins USD ever had were over SDSU.  The best team in the NCC left after last year so any win this year is tempered by that fact.  Another fact, using USD and fan together is a contradiction.  Sports are a casual occurence for almost all associated with USD, even the athletes.
                  Are you saying NDSU was the best team in the NCC?
                  The last three wins for USD were all big. Actually with such a tight race in the NCC all wins are big this year, there is no margin for error. I would hardly say USD's only big wins have been over SDSU. You act like we're Augie where we are just looking to salvage a season with a win over a rival. USD went to 2 Elite 8's in the mid 1990's and won 3 straight NCC titles at the end of the 90's into the current decade. There were a lot of big wins along the way that didn't include SDSU.
                  The fan support has actually been pretty good lately. There were over 5,000 there on Saturday night and over 4,000 in each game the weekend before. Obviously it's not close to what we would draw when we played State, but it's not too bad.
                  As far as NSU having more fans on the Argus message board, I haven't been on there to see if thats the truth. But I will say that NSU draws pretty good for basketball so that wouldn't shock me if thats the case. They get good fan support.

Comment

Hey buff,

Serious question here...who do you think will win a NC first, SDSU or USD? I would venture to say that SDSU has as good a shot as USD.

By the way, I watched the women's game and the first half of the men's game. The women's game was pretty good, the men's was absoulutely horrible to watch! What a bore! USD played well but holy crap that was a boring game. I'm not sure if it was USD's defense or just plain bad shooting by UND, but that was an awful game to watch. I actually chose to continue packing all the crap in our apartment over watching the game (my fiance allowed me to watch the men's game, she's an avid Women's basketball fan and loves to watch UND women play--didn't have a problem getting to watch that one).

Comment

[quote author=Rabbitlivinginverm link=board=Smack;num=1108851206;start=15#23 date=02/22/05 at 10:36:28]Hey buff,

Serious question here...who do you think will win a NC first, SDSU or USD?  I would venture to say that SDSU has as good a shot as USD.  

By the way, I watched the women's game and the first half of the men's game.  The women's game was pretty good, the men's was absoulutely horrible to watch!  What a bore!  USD played well but holy crap that was a boring game.  I'm not sure if it was USD's defense or just plain bad shooting by UND, but that was an awful game to watch.  quote]

Do you honestly think that SDSU might win a National Title before USD? I honestly don't think so. When you say they have as good of a shot as USD, do you say that because you think neither school has any shot. I would tend to agree with you more there than I would if you think SDSU has a shot at winning a national title. Not to say that I don't think USD will ever win another national title, but I would be able to understand it if you didn't think they would. Are you talking basketball here, or any sport in general? You are talking a team title, aren't you? I don't know anything about equestrian, SDSU could have the best team in the nation for all I know, so I hope you are not referring to that.

I'm not even sure you are serious in what you said, but there is a long answer to your question. Basically I do think that USD will win a national championship before SDSU.

As far as whether UND shot that poorly or did USD play that good of defense, I would actually say that might have been USD's defense. I realize that USD teams normally try to outscore you, but they have been playing good defense as of late. I'm sure UND had an off night shooting as well.

Comment

If Kelo paid for that broadcast, then why would they have aired so many USD commercials and between games, they aired a special on USD. Like someone said, it was an infomercial for USD - if they got paid for it too, that would really surprise me. They had to have paid for that.

Comment

I would agree with Gojacksgo, the commericals of television of any sort tells who pays. The commericals sell soap. Its that simple, is it not Mike H?

If KELO paid USD, then they would have sold their commericals to someone else in order to recoup the paid fee to USD. That does not appear to be the facts here. BTW, I did not tune in the game since I was out of area, but dont regret not watching that Arrogant mueller play for his final time in the dome. Mueller will soon to be a figment of everyones imagination.

Comment

If KELO 'paid' anything to broadcast the game, they probably paid not money, but commercial time. That's the capital they have available to spend and would explain why the entire broadcast was a USD commercial.

Comment

Working...
                            X