Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re: Whose the best team in South Dakota?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That will be a good game. That would be a perfect game to help solidify the Jack's presence. UW-M is very solid this year. Don't know how many players they have coming back, but their coach over the last 3-4 years has done a great job building them into a solid mid-major in a pro town with another Div. 1 program in their own backyard. MJA would know more, but I think UW-M cherry picks a few Chicago area kids everyyear from the big boys and I see no reason why State could not do the same. Depaul is starting to get better, but they still do not recruit the Chicago public leagues like they should. Plenty of players in the CPL, the only caveat is the kids sometimes come with a little baggage, and it isn't usually carry-on. Nagy, and the fact that these kids would be getting immediate PT could be a strong selling point.
    Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
      Thats a pretty good picture 89, I believe that was taken during a pretty hard fought game at the Bradley Center against Marquette on Dec. 7th. when the Jacks were travelling to that game on the 6th of December- the usd coyotes were busy playing Dana.
      At least we beat Dana, which is more than you can say about Morningside. I wouldn't be making fun of the teams USD played when some of those teams whipped your a$$. When you make fun of those teams you are really making fun of yourselves.
      Jones was a great player. He obviously didn't have the college career that Mueller had, because of an unfortunate disease. Mueller did a lot more damage in the NCC than Jones was able to do. I would love to have both guys on my team.
      89 Thanks for posting the records and accomplishments of both coaches. They have both had a lot of success and both can obviously build successful teams.

Comment

The diffrence sports_buff is we have no more Dana's in our future. You do. (see schedule)

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
          The diffrence sports_buff is we have no more Dana's in our future. You do. (see schedule)
          After seeing what Morningside did to you it's probably best that you don't have any more Dana's in your future.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff

After seeing what Morningside did to you it's probably best that you don't have any more Dana's in your future.
            Maybe but that doesn't change the fact that we won't be playing Peru St or Upper Iowa anymore. You gotta make it hurt more than this. This year is over and thats the best part about it!
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

No doubt in my mind that as the Jacks continue to ramp up their programs at the DI level the Coyotes will hold on to their core group of supporters while SDSU will continue to add people around the state and region to the Jacks bandwagon. The problem with DII sports is there is a finite number of people who will ever care. When you start talking about the opportunity of playing well known big time teams in all of our sports and the possibility of getting into the Big Dance and other high exposure opportunities that DI offers the sky is the limit in terms of a fan base. Fast forward 20 years from now and I think you will see two very different athletic programs in terms of attendence,marketing,facilities and statewide following!

Comment

The only thing I will add to JG II's comments is that you will see that fan base accelerate because of the D1 move in 3-5 years. It will be very evident next year when we have no more small schools on the schedule and the fans have actually heard of the teams coming to Frost & Coughlin.

Comment

I don't know about the rest of you but many people in my immediate circles some who have been Jacks fans and some with no allegiances are paying more attention to what is going on at SDSU since the move to DI. I also think the added exposure is going to continue to have a dramatic effect on enrollment. This is quite remarkable when you think about how the number of high school graduates in the state continues to drop. It should be interesting to observe a couple of things as it relates to attendence.
                  Attendence at the Creighton and Univ of Minnesota baseball games in Sioux Falls. Lots of avid baseball fans in the area (semi-pro,amateur,college and pro).
                  Attendence at next years home football games including Sioux Falls. Can we maintain last years pace?
                  Attendence for the Home DI Men and Women's Basketball games. Men will be better and women should reload.

Comment

Jackguy II, I have had the exact same conversations with many of my fellow Yote fans. Both State and U can see the writing on the wall, with the decline of high school students in South Dakota. The decline will effect Northern (north central South Dakota base is shrinking the fastest) and the other four schools in the system more. State has decided to market differently by going forward with the D-I move. The U is trying to market themselves as an elite educational facility with a smaller enrollment base. State will continue to grow and in numbers while the U will probably stay stagent in growth. However, I do see in 20-40 years that the increase growth with State's enrollment and the corrolary benefits attached to this will allow it to achieve the same level of education reputation that the U strives to achieve. I for one like the course of action that State is pursuing. How it shakes out will be interesting for both institutions. Hopefully, the State move will succeed and the U will be able to piggyback and then make the move themselves.
                    Southern Pecan

Comment

I've heard that Northern is in a lot of trouble (shrinking enrollments) It seems like they have a major identity crisis now as to where they fit into the university system

Sorry this has gotten a little off topic

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                        No doubt in my mind that as the Jacks continue to ramp up their programs at the DI level the Coyotes will hold on to their core group of supporters while SDSU will continue to add people around the state and region to the Jacks bandwagon. The problem with DII sports is there is a finite number of people who will ever care. When you start talking about the opportunity of playing well known big time teams in all of our sports and the possibility of getting into the Big Dance and other high exposure opportunities that DI offers the sky is the limit in terms of a fan base. Fast forward 20 years from now and I think you will see two very different athletic programs in terms of attendence,marketing,facilities and statewide following!
                        I would agree that the potential to have a big fan base is there. Obviously DI does get a lot more exposure, it just depends on what kind of DI team you guys are going to be. Thats what it all hinges on. Are you going to be like an Iowa or Iowa St. or maybe even a Gonzaga or somebody like that. If so then the sky could be the limit. Or will you end up like a lot of these DI teams I've never heard of. No offense to big Jake but I never even knew who UMKC was before this year and if it wasn't for this site I would have no idea that they are doing well. I know that many of you view your situation much different than UMKC's but aren't they one of the top teams in a conference's that you hope to get into. I don't see all this exposure you talk about for all DI teams. I certainly do for the major conferences and some of the top mid majors. Ask your women's basketball team how much fan base some of these DI teams have.
                        I'm glad that you used the phrase "I think you will see two entirely different programs" at the end of your post. Because as much as we like to think so, none of us know for sure what will happen, or whether this move will turn out good or not. We can only speculate. I don't know for sure that you will fall on your face and you don't know for sure that you won't. We'll have to wait to see how your doing in 10 years and then we'll argue about whether you like your position better now or before. Until then we will have to keep using the same circular arguments on these smack boards.

Comment

Texas Jack I think Northern closed two of their dorm buildings because of a lack of people living there.

Comment

Originally posted by twism
                            Texas Jack I think Northern closed two of their dorm buildings because of a lack of people living there.
                            You are correct sir.

Comment

Sports_buff and JB,

You guys need to be careful. Those were two well-thought out and articulated posts. Are you sure neither of you spent even a semester at State?

To address your points, I think SDSU ever becoming a Kansas or Kentucky program is pretty much a pipe dream. We just live in the right area for that. U of Minn struggles to keep their name in the national scene and they're in one of the most recognizable conferences in the NCAAs. Reaching a Gonzaga level or a Wyoming level would be a great accomplishment in my eyes.

JB - On the UWM front. Coach Pearl is the main reason you even know who the Panthers are. He's basically on a rotation with all the morning radio programs in Milwaukee. He's always pumping up his program to the locals. UWM has put up billboards in Marquette country and have begun running adds on the local stations asking fans to come see "Milwaukee's Team." I think SDSU should take a page from this book. This has been addressed in the past on another thread, but our coaches should be everywhere and anywhere promoting our teams.

Sioux Falls is the obvious market to tap into and we should start deluging that town with SDSU ads promoting SD's only D1 program. Get those non-college grads and non-SDSU grads interested in our programs. Easier said than done, though. Especially with the added costs.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Father in Law, big Wolve supporter. The dorms that were closed haven't been used for years, so the closing isn't a reflection of recent drops. They are going to convert them into the suite type dorm rooms. He also said that Northern for some reason (unlike U,State and DSu) can't include their distance learning students in their enrollment. This aside, he still thinks Northern better do something....they still want to be a teachers college and do distance learning to train kids to be teachers. With the consoldiation of schools and decreasing amount of kids, the number of jobs aren't there.
                                Southern Pecan

Comment

Working...
                                X