• Show
Clear All

Re: D-II, D-III, NAIA, and other lesser divisions

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
    Neither school is in session, but a little context is probably useful:

Population of the Omaha metropolitan area: 742,588
    Population of Brookings "metropolitan area" (Brookings County): 28,265
    (Source: U.S. Census estimates, 2003)

Also, the performance of the team might have something to do with it. UNO, last night's loss notwithstanding, is having a very good year and is a potential Elite 8 team. SDSU's men are rebuilding this year.
    Good assesment, but flawed in one way. None of the NCC teams will make the elite 8. The one with the best chance is over in Mankato and they simply won't have the discipline or coaching experience to get it done. USD has the guard play but won't play defense in the post-season. UNO won't be a factor on the DII national seen and should be playing just to make the regional. Just the facts jack.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

UNO won't be a factor on the DII national seen and should be playing just to make the regional.

Don't count against it because of the guy in the upper left hand corner. The talent is there whether you want to admit it. Last years team made the regional and this team is better. I will promise you that your season will end after your last regular season game. That will be a fact Jack.

Comment

I agree with jack md's assessment. UNO is a terrible ft shooting team and it will kill us in a lot of close games like it did last nite and we are inconsistent from 3 which allows teams to pack it in. We will lose a lot of close games against good teams
        OK_Jackrabbit - I would bet that the people at sdsu are concerned about attendance and revenue and don't take the nonchalant attitude you take that somehow the bills will be paid. Yes, it is a long term process but many people and organizations run out of money in the short term. I think you are overly optimistic.
        But then after Monday UNO could have more problems than sdsu has if that vote to 24 succeeds in fb scholies. Then we have some big problems and some tough decisions to make.
        The problem I have always had with the 150 bottom teams in d1 is that there is really no proper place for them in most non fb sports. That is why one day I hope that the ncaa creates a 1aa for all sports that will have a couple of hundred like minded schools competing together again. SDSU may be right or UNO may be right but IMHO they both have lousy options to choose from at the present time. Seems to me that a 1aa is a perfect solution but it is probably only a pipe dream. As it is now UNO is a loser bc we are stuck in a watered down division and a watered down league. But so are you bc you a bottom feeder and will probably stay a bottom feeder for as long as d1 is structured the way it currently is.

Comment

The NCAA has a model for what Jake is saying: The old "college" division which existed until the late 70s. Back then, UNI was in the NCC. SDSU played Youngstown State (Ron Jaworski put on a show) and other teams who jumped to 1AA several years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Good assesment, but flawed in one way.  None of the NCC teams will make the elite 8.  The one with the best chance is over in Mankato and they simply won't have the discipline or coaching experience to get it done.  USD has the guard play but won't play defense in the post-season.  UNO won't be a factor on the DII national seen and should be playing just to make the regional.  Just the facts jack.
            I did say "potential". And they were, before this loss, ranked #1 in the North Central region. And they'll probably end up with 23 or 24 wins. So I stand by their "potential."

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
              The NCAA has a model for what Jake is saying:  The old "college" division which existed until the late 70s.  Back then, UNI was in the NCC.  SDSU played Youngstown State (Ron Jaworski put on a show) and other teams who jumped to 1AA several years ago.
              The college division died in 1973, when Divisons I, II, and III were formed by the NCAA. Division I-AA was formed in 1978.

Comment

You're right, Bison.

I recall how in some sports (e.g. wrestling and cross country), the College Division, and then the D-II (don't know about D-III) individual champs advanced to the D-I championships.

Comment

Who's going to win the battle of the Dakota's on Saturday? Got to go with NDSU. At least they have beaten a D2 school.

Comment

I think we will beat them, being that we are at home. Hopefully we will have a big crowd on hand. I don't know though, it should be a good game. I wish we were having a double header. It's too bad that we couldn't schedule the women's game on the same night, like it is in NDSU. However, I do think we should get a good draw to both games. I'm actually looking more foward to the women's game than the men's game. But I do think our men will win.

Comment

I am picking the home team in that game but I am looking for a big upset when Bellevue comes to town. They have a great coach and some nice players and they WILL push sdsu very very hard. Last year they were leading UNO for 39min and 59 seconds of our game and your old nemesis Ty Graham made a shot at the buzzer to win it by one. Be scared of Bellevue - very scared. Fear the Bruin!! That will be the biggest victory in the history of Bellevue bb if they win that game. They also have a GREAT coach in former Creighton player Todd Eisner. In fact if our coach moves on to a better job he will probably be the Mavs next men's head coach. Fear the Bruin!!

Comment

Winona State isn't gonna be a pushover either. Hell, Morningside might pull the upset (if you can call it that)and bring back the ghost of NCC past.

Comment

Those last two posts are depressing in that losses to those teams is a legitimate worry this year. It is quite obvious that we can no longer count any of our scheduled games as a "W" until we actually win the game. However, I like to use the "reloading" rather than "rebuilding" analogy. Our mens basketball program has been historically one of the best programs in the midwest, regardless of division, and we will get there again sooner than later. With every ebb there is a flow. That's just how the big pendulum of life and sports usually works.

Look at Nebraska's football program. Ten years ago you would have been thought of as crazy if you were to say that in 2004 they would be a horrible football team that wouldn't even make a bowl game. Although frustrated and angry at how their team has fallen, the majority of the "sea of red" have no doubt in their mind that Neb football will once again ride high on the college football landscape...and sooner rather than later. And I'm not even a Nebraska fan.

That's how I think most feel about the mens basketball program. We have some great young talent. We have a coach who is a proven winner, motivator and recruiter. With those positives and the historical perspective of a program that has seen many more highs than lows, I think we are right to feel good about our future. Even if that means we have to take our lumps this year.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Well spoken!

Comment

Way too logical stuff from the NE boys.  My take, I think we beat NDSU at Frost but there is no garuantee.  As for Morningside, Bellevue and Winona St, the only concern for me is the Warriors.  They have a stud who was a DI recruit but decided to stay close to home.  All of us Jacks fans have seen what one great player on a mediocre DII team can do to a Nagy coached SDSU.

I'm not counting a single W until the scoreboard indicates its so, but I expect wins versus all of these teams at Frost.  Of course, I expected the same against the Wayne States and was dead wrong.  This SDSU team has a long ways to go if the hope to salvage anything from this season.  The way I see it, things could get a lot worse and only a little better.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Look at Nebraska's football program. Ten years ago you would have been thought of as crazy if you were to say that in 2004 they would be a horrible football team that wouldn't even make a bowl game. Although frustrated and angry at how their team has fallen, the majority of the "sea of red" have no doubt in their mind that Neb football will once again ride high on the college football landscape...and sooner rather than later. And I'm not even a Nebraska fan.

Had to bring up the Nebraska Football thing although I think there is some common ground with your basketball program. Watching no bowl game this year was painful, not to mention 70-10 at T-Tech. Hopefully both programs will be back.

Comment

Working...
                                X