Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rivalry

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

All smack talking aside, 89 just hit the nail on the head.  I'm sure Jake and Mav will try to argue against his above statement, but it would have to be a pretty good argument to disuade anyone that 89 is right.  There's no bias in stating the obvious.  The casual sports fan is going to have their interest perked when they see names like Kentucky and USC.  Whether we win or lose.  

My boss' kid is ranked in the top 250 basketball players in the US for upcoming seniors.  When I printed him off a copy of the announcement that we're playing Kentucky and Illinois next year, my boss was legitimately excited.  In his opinion, would he rather have his kid play for a UWMilwaukee or Butler who will play their conference schedules and other similarly ranked teams or would he rather have his kid play for SDSU and go up against the best of the best?  

Most college athletes are going to end up like me pushing papers when they finish their collegiate athletic careers.  Would you rather look back and remember how you played against Kentucky or University of Maine?  That's a serious recruiting tool for players and fans alike.  I'm proud of our athletic department for scheduling the teams they are.  I can't wait to go to Kentucky, grab my two brother's-in-law and go to the Rupp arena to see the Jacks play!  
    I've seen it all. Now you guys are spinning it that it is a good thing you can't get into a conference. Thanks for the laugh. Tell Oien to quit working so hard to find a conference, apparantly you are better off without one.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff

I've seen it all.  Now you guys are spinning it that it is a good thing you can't get into a conference.  Thanks for the laugh.  Tell Oien to quit working so hard to find a conference, apparantly you are better off without one.

buff you missed the point of MilwaukeeJacks post, there is no spin involved. With or without a conference we are scheduling the best schools possible. This will continue once we are accepted into a conference. As 89Rabbit and others have said many times, "You have to play the best to be the best."

Remind me again, where did you receive your education? :

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack

buff you missed the point of MilwaukeeJacks post, there is no spin involved.  With or without a conference we are scheduling the best schools possible.  This will continue once we are accepted into a conference.  As 89Rabbit and others have said many times, "You have to play the best to be the best."

Remind me again, where did you receive your education?  :
        Actually what I took from Milwaukee's post was that we are able to schedule the best teams because we don't have the restrictions of playing in a conference like Butler and UW-Milw, thereby making it a good thing that we aren't in a conference like those guys are. Milwaukee is right, if we were playing in the midcon or BigSky then we wouldn't have so many chances to schedule the big name teams. I do feel that he was saying we might be better off without a conference, maybe it was just a spin job, but I think he might be right.

Comment

I've seen it all.  Now you guys are spinning it that it is a good thing you can't get into a conference.  Thanks for the laugh.  Tell Oien to quit working so hard to find a conference, apparantly you are better off without one.
          Your little DII school is doing enough struggling. Worry more about that. Soon you'll be traveling to Washington for DII conference games. Work on spinning that. I'd be jealous if the yotes were playing Kentucky and Illinois but for now thats your problem.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan
            For USD not being our rivals we sure do spend a lot of time talking about them.  Do you think University of Nebraska fans spend this much time talking about UNO?  If we really don't care about USD anymore then why do they so often seem to be the topic of conversation.
            My next statement is an obvious one but some individuals here need the obvious stated.

The Huskers never played in the same conference as UNO. We are one year removed from the NCC and a major rivalry with USD. There is going to be interest in what USD and the NCC is doing. If this bothers you don't read the posts pertaining to USD or DII. I for one am interested.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I have heard Nagy and Johnson comment that there is some upside to being independent like being able to potentially boost your RPI by playing unlimited nationally ranked schools. This is a time to get our program on the map of other DI schools and recruits. The conference will take care itself once we are tournament eligible.

Comment

I wasn't trying to spin the non-conference angle. I hope we get into a conference and sooner rather than later. The stability gained by a conference affiliation is needed. However, I hope once we get into a conference we never stop trying to schedule the Kentucky's and Illinois of the country for our non-conference schedule. Scheduling the best of the best is going to bring in athletes who want to see how they stack up against the best. Going to Butler (or any team of the like) with the knowledge that they'll rarely ever see a team along the same quality as Kentucky or Illinois has to be a deterrant to most athletes.

Butler, with or without it's conference affiliation, does not go out of its way to schedule big name schools. SDSU has and hopefully will continue to do so. That's what I was touting.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I think Butler would love to play the likes of Kentucky and Illi, the problem for them is that those schools make it nearly impossible for Butler to schedule a game. Butler has built themselves into a solid midmajor club that is avoided since the BCS schools have too much to loose by playing them. No knock to State, but the BCS schools feel they have no risk (even though it would be great if State knocked them off). Gonzaga has gotten over that hump by having a consistent program year to year that the BSC schools don't feel a loss to them is so bad, and are willing to give some home and home games. however once you get your program to Butler's level you have some BCS schools backing away. I think it was on this board someone posted how Eddie Sutton at OKstate helped out a former assistant (now a head coach at a midmajor) by scheduling some games with his program, while other coaches were buying out the scheduled games with the midmajor.

Comment

Geez, is this the first thread in the history of sports boards to have to be moved **out** of "Smack" due to reasonable content?
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Butler and any other school is welcome to play in the Guardian's Classic....far from impossible. It is an exempt tournament. Your record will reflect the outcome but it has absolutely no effect on your RPI. I believe any team can play in an exempt tournament every four years. What better time for the Jacks to travel to Lexington?! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper
                        Butler and any other school is welcome to play in the Guardian's Classic....far from impossible. It is an exempt tournament.  Your record will reflect the outcome but it has absolutely no effect on your RPI.  I believe any team can play in an exempt tournament every four years.  What better time for the Jacks to travel to Lexington?!  Go Jacks!
                        I agree Thumper, that Butler could play in Guardians, however Kentucky will not book them in the tourney and take the chance of loosing a game in their season (preseason) tourney.  A couple of years ago Iowa got beat in their tourney, it was the first time ever (30+ games).  It is a great tuneup for them and a good way to build some enthusiasm for the season. (and yes I realize the Guardian is not Kentucky centric, however they do have a say to who is in their pod)

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

My next statement is an obvious one but some individuals here need the obvious stated.

The Huskers never played in the same conference as UNO.  We are one year removed from the NCC and a major rivalry with USD.  There is going to be interest in what USD and the NCC is doing.  If this bothers you don't read the posts pertaining to USD or DII.  I for one am interested.
                          So you admit you are interested in USD. Not to speak for SportsFan but I think thats what he was getting at. So many people on this site, Jack included, act like they don't care what is going on at USD and other DII schools, then they proceed to talk about them constantly. Correct me if I'm wrong SportsFan but it seems that you were calling people out who were acting like they don't care about USD then proceed to talk about them. At least you got JackMD to now admit that he does indeed care about USD.

Comment

So you admit you are interested in USD.  Not to speak for SportsFan but I think thats what he was getting at. So many people on this site, Jack included, act like they don't care what is going on at USD and other DII schools, then they proceed to talk about them constantly.  Correct me if I'm wrong SportsFan but it seems that you were calling people out who were acting like they don't care about USD then proceed to talk about them.  At least you got JackMD to now admit that he does indeed care about USD.
                            I can't help but be interested in USD given the ongoing discussions about my future role as an instructor for the school of medicine. In addition, I get regular phone calls soliciting donations as well as mailings updating me on current events at USD. I find no shame in that interest and don't understand why anyone else would. I'm with 89 here, any success for USD would reflect positively on SD. I don't think success at USD in anyway connotates failure at SDSU or vice versa. Wishing ill to one another either way reflects a weakness in personality.

Comment

So you admit you are interested in USD.  Not to speak for SportsFan but I think thats what he was getting at. So many people on this site, Jack included, act like they don't care what is going on at USD and other DII schools, then they proceed to talk about them constantly.  Correct me if I'm wrong SportsFan but it seems that you were calling people out who were acting like they don't care about USD then proceed to talk about them.  At least you got JackMD to now admit that he does indeed care about USD.
                              There is a difference between being interested and caring. I am interested when I see an old sweetchuck at the bar to see how things are going for her, but at the same time I don't really care how how things are going for her. And I laugh and think she is pathetic when she whines to me that I still care about her. Get the point sportsbuff

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

I can't help but be interested in USD given the ongoing discussions about my future role as an instructor for the school of medicine.  In addition, I get regular phone calls soliciting donations as well as mailings updating me on current events at USD.  I find no shame in that interest and don't understand why anyone else would.  I'm with 89 here, any success for USD would reflect positively on SD.  I don't think success at USD in anyway connotates failure at SDSU or vice versa.  Wishing ill to one another either way reflects a weakness in personality.
                                I for one certainly don't think you should feel ashamed for your interest in USD. I do agree that it makes since that you would be interested. I don't know why it took you so long to admit it. I remember reading one post where you told SportsFan to worry about DII teams on his own time, not yours. Thats why I found it very ironic to read your post today telling SportsFan why you are interested in USD and that if he doesn't like it he shouldn't read the posts.
                                I would love it if you get that job at USD, they only thing better than that would be for Mav#1 to get a job at SDSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X