Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come your brother gets more respect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How come your brother gets more respect?

There is only one top 10 DII team around these parts and they exist north of Brookings not south. The other top DII programs in this region are now DI.

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/foo...ELEASE_ID=2679
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
      The top ten teams in D2 would compete just fine in D1AA.
      Mavs#1
      I happen to agree with you, at least to a point. The top ten teams in D2 would "compete" just fine in D1AA. But they wouldn't win much. These 63-scholarship 1AA teams are fast, and many D2 teams are fast. But 1AA teams are deep and are fast from the top to bottom of the roster. Once you get past the key skill players on a D2 team, the speed and athleticism drops off significantly. It's really all about how many good and fast players you have.

Nobody is saying that good D2 teams aren't good football teams. UND, UNO, and USD (and probably UMD) are good D2 teams. But just as SDSU has fallen a bit short against top 1AA teams, so would those bunch, and probably significantly moreso. SDSU has only been a provisional D1(AA) team for about two years, but that's two years with the more extensive off-season lifting and conditioning programs that D1 allows. And six more scholarships (we're at 42) means probably ten more good, fast players. Think of how many good players NDSU has added, with their 63 scholarships.

If you look at a team like Cal Poly, which is the best team I have seen in person this year, they were fast and athletic from #1 to #99. We were short playmakers against them. But we "competed" and almost did it. I'm told Texas State was even faster and more athletic. There is just no way that a D2 team with 36 scholarships could stay with these teams athletically. SDSU has managed to "compete" but we need more scholarship players to get over the hump.

I'm not just blowing smoke. I spent the last 8 years at Iowa, Purdue and Oklahoma, watching 80-whatever scholarship 1A teams. It doesn't surprise me that they usually handle 1AA teams pretty well. It's not that the 1AA teams don't have good players, they just don't have enough good (and a few great) players like the 1A teams have. As you move up, there are more good players and possibly great players. Football is a team sport. The team with more talented depth tends to have a big advantage.

Comment

I don't think any reasonable could argue with that analysis of d1aa depth over d2.  Maybe it is a pipe dream but I have always thought that UNO could compete and possibly beat a good d1aa at the beginning of a season before injuries hit and we are playing with all scholarship players.  Once the season goes on and we are playing more walk ons then we don't have a chance.   Maybe it is wishful thinking but I think we could surprise some teams early in the season.
        A side note - in 15 years of going to UNO fb games we have only scheduled a d1aa team once (NO Iowa). That was during the 96 season and Behrns bought our way out of that game (we played hastings instead) bc he was afraid we would get killed and hurt our confidence early in the season.  He may have known something bc we ended 10-2 so it was probably a good decision.
        NOR Cal Jack - make no mistake about it - our game against UNL is a LOT more important to them than the SDSU game is. Those guys compete against each other in summer leagues and they will be playing their best to beat us. Creighton played their best against us in recent years and UNL will, too. It may be only an exhibition but it is a lot more meaningful to the huskers than sdsu is. Not even close.
        Same with Creighton. When they played UNO their crowd was really pumped for UNO. They won't play us any longer bc we have come too close to beating them.

Comment

Big Jake...here you go again.

I don't care how many played summer leagues against one another.

UNO exhibition game is just that an exhibition game... does not count, no-way, no-how. Basically it is a warm-up scrimmage. The coach will make the decision as to who plays and who does'nt.

I agree the players might have some motivation but the coaching staff will use that game as a feeler and that is it PERIOD!

SDSU will play them a little deeper into the schedule, with the game counting towards RPI. Trust me the coaches will be scouting this one and preparing a lot different than they are for UNOII.

You have to get a clue dude...you talk as if you know athletics very well except those rose colored glasses you wear gotta come off because you just dont seem to understand there is a greater nuance (This means a subtle distinction or variation in case that line puzzles you?) between the two situations.

Have a great year in the watered down world of the NCC and Div. II. Wish you the best of luck...like I said in an earlier smack-fire...I'll be waiting in the weeds for you with a can of beans...we can talk BB all night long too!

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden

SDSU will play them a little deeper into the schedule, with the game counting towards RPI.  Trust me the coaches will be scouting this one and preparing a lot different than they are for UNOII.

I am sure that Barry Collier will lay awake at night worrying about SDSU. He will probably ask for the tape of the Morningside game last year to try and figure out how to stop this new D1 powerhouse  : : :. This game is a schedule filler and no more. The fans will cry for a refund when they find out that it is not San Diego State  like they thought it was. UNO took Creighton down to the wire the last two years that they played. Give me the Huskers and I will give you 20 points. As Mr. Vitale would say "it's blow out city baby"

Mavs#1

Comment

Little brother, get over last years Morningside game. As far as that goes get over last season all together.

How many times does it need to be explained to you that last years season was going to be bad no matter what division we played in.

You and fake jake are just like malodorous mayflys!

By the way do you know that Maverick is just not a unbranded range animal? It is also a motherless calf that is independent and who does not go along with a group or a party. :P

Comment

I am sure that Barry Collier will lay awake at night worrying about SDSU. He will probably ask for the tape of the Morningside game last year to try and figure out how to stop this new D1 powerhouse  : : :. This game is a schedule filler and no more. The fans will cry for a refund when they find out that it is not San Diego State  like they thought it was. UNO took Creighton down to the wire the last two years that they played. Give me the Huskers and I will give you 20 points. As Mr. Vitale would say "it's blow out city baby"

Mavs#1
                I hope UNL sees our game as nothing more than filler. It's that type of attitude which will allow for us to roll out of there with a win. If you truly think any coach in the DI ranks would look at any games on their schedule and put a subpar effort forth because they feel like they should win, you haven't been around too many coaches in your life. Coaches who look past teams end up selling insurance real quick. Often times in your haste to rip on SDSU, you two say things that do nothing to dispell the common conception that you're both idiots. Saying UNL is going to spend less time worrying about SDSU than UNO or any other team for that matter is just dumb.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Mavs#1
                  Aww heck. The Morningside dig works because it really was an embarrassing loss to a weak team. Mavs is just baiting us, which is his role here on the smack board. It only works if we take the bait.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                    Aww heck. The Morningside dig works because it really was an embarrassing loss to a weak team.
                    Last years men's BB season was a disaster to say the least. 10 years from now I doubt I'll remember anything except the losses to Morningside and Southwest St.

AS for this year, cautious optimism is my recommendation. The players are unfamiliar with each other, have limited DI experience, depth is uncertain, size is an issue and the schedule is brutal (especially early). If frustration sets in, crowd sizes are small, and the losses pile-up it will be hard on the Jackrabbit nation.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Last years men's BB season was a disaster to say the least.  10 years from now I doubt I'll remember anything except the losses to Morningside and Southwest St.

I know that I will never forget them.

Comment

OK, so USD lost today to Minnesota-Duluth by almost the same score that we lost to Georgia Southern. I just have to say this, in the context of all the suggestions that 1AA and DII aren't that far apart. Does anyone here really think, for a second, that Minnesota-Duluth and Georgia Southern are even remotely comparable teams? It's been suggested that USD is actually better than SDSU. You have to be kidding me. I know it's not a perfect apples-to-apples comparison (but this is a smack board, not an accounting classroom). But seriously. How close could USD play Georgia Southern if they can't beat UMD?

Comment

Working...
                        X