Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come your brother gets more respect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How come your brother gets more respect?

It doesn't really work to cherry pick some stats from another year and another sport to try and undermine the idea that SDSU has great fan support. But I'll play along. If you want to look at basketball, consider that we have led the nation in D2 basketball attendance repeatedly in the last 20 years. Those years when we didn't lead, we were second. And yes, last year's basketball attendance was awful. I'm betting we'll be back up this year. More to the point, this year we are averaging 9,000+ for football. Last year it was 8,000+ for football.

History clearly bears out the point about great fan support for SDSU athletics.

Comment

I never had any real doubts that people would support you bc you are the only game in town.  That is great that your attendance is solid.
      My point of contention has always been that you won't be able to recruit the necessary athletes required to compete in D1 basketball and so far that has been the case.  I'll let you know after I see you get your fanny kicked down in LIncoln if things have gotten better.  I doubt it.  OK-Jackrabbit - I doubt there are very many players on your team that Kelvin Sampson would be interested in and the same with Gene Keady (or whoever is the new Purdue coach).
      The other point I have always made is that SD is a poor state and there aren't the deep pockets people necessary to fund the program to the level of necessary to compete over the long term.  There has been little to convince me that I am off base on those 2 contentions.
      My biggest mistake was that I didn't realize that a mid level d2 team could come into d1aa fb and immed. compete.  Obviously there isn't as much difference between the d2 and d1aa as I thought.  I guess that is why pat behrns has always said we can compete in d1aa fb.
      You can bash UNO all you want about attendance but I would wager that your bean counters are a whole lot more worried about finances than ours are.  Remember the Oakland A's in the 1970's didn't draw well but they won big.  We are like the A's of the 70's.  You are like the Cubs.  Lots of people go to see you bc you are all loveable losers.
      PS- Mav1 - I find made it the esteemed Jr. Class. Sweet!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake
        ... I would wager that your bean counters are a whole lot more worried about finances than ours are
        I don't doubt that your bean counters aren't all that worried about finances, 'cause it sure doesn't cost much to aim low.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Bigjake, I think you have been smoking Fat Js'.

You banter to make your nonsence sound sensible which gives us all a great laugh, the problem here is you keep using UNL as a comparison to everything because lets face it...Omaha is were you have to live because of your butchering job but I think your heart is in Lincoln?

Now if we are going to compare SDSU to UNL you are right we wont compare now.  Give this program its time and it will be very competitive with UNL.  Not on the football field, but it will be in BB, VB, Wrestling and many of their other sports that dont have the same budget as football.

SDSU and UNL do have some history.

Now, what are you going to do when the new wrestling coference joins together with the schools in the Big 12 with wrestling?  I dont want to here we wont compete because UNL, Oklahoma, Iowa, Minn. etc. got a lot of their individual champions right out of all these bodunk towns in SD.  Most of these kids will stay right here to wrestle down the road.  Yes UNO has a great program but within the next few years I will put the Jacks program up against yours for any bet you want to make.

Quit smoking the gonge...support the Mavs...get a life.

Now I can hardly wait for your comeback on this one so I'll just wait here in the weeds for you to set-up camp and will talk about this over a can of beans.

I mean thats what us Hobo's do, we show hospitality to everyone including stockyard rats.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjake
             We are like the A's of the 70's.  You are like the Cubs.  Lots of people go to see you bc you are all loveable losers.
            PS- Mav1 - I find made it the esteemed Jr. Class.  Sweet!!

Congrats Big Jake, Keep up the good work.My money says UNO mens B-Ball team plays UNL closer than SDSU does.

Mavs#1

Comment

Big Jake,

This post from another board backs up your statement that the gap between D1AA and D2 football is not that great. NDSU was 17-14 their last three years and D2 and look at them now. And we all know about SDSU's football history. : : :

The players who were seniors on the inagural D-1AA squad at NDSU saw the team go 17-14 in D2 over the previous three seasons. 17-14 over a span of three seasons is very much marginal.  If a team can go 17-14 over a span of three years in D2 and then go D-1AA and be somewhat competive right away, that just goes to show it's not all that big of a jump.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
                Big Jake,

This post from another board backs up your statement that the gap between D1AA and D2 football is not that great. NDSU was 17-14 their last three years and D2 and look at them now. And we all know about SDSU's football history. : : :

The players who were seniors on the inagural D-1AA squad at NDSU saw the team go 17-14 in D2 over the previous three seasons. 17-14 over a span of three seasons is very much marginal. If a team can go 17-14 over a span of three years in D2 and then go D-1AA and be somewhat competive right away, that just goes to show it's not all that big of a jump.
                I realize that "consistency" and "smack" have little to do with one another, but do you realize that you're now arguing against the point you were trying to make when you started this thread?

By the way, Sagarin (you know, the USA Today computer ratings guy) has NDSU at #13 in I-AA and SDSU at #22 this week.

I looked for UNO but realized that Sagarin only rates Division I colleges. So sad.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

DI envy is a good thing. Dig back through the posts if your looking for details.

Thanks for your support Omaha geeks.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

DI envy is a good thing.
                    Amen, brother!!

The more we succeed the more Envy. Ha Ha Ha!!!

Go State ;D ;D ;D
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack

Amen, brother!!

The more we succeed the more Envy.  Ha Ha Ha!!!

Go State  ;D ;D ;D

I am sorry, but I am not sure what success you are talking about. Having no winning teams except for football which has beat up on sisters of the poor is not what I call success.

Mavs#1

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1

I am sorry, but I am not sure what success you are talking about. Having no winning teams except for football which has beat up on sisters of the poor is not what I call success.

Mavs#1
                        Yes, sisters of the poor like UC Davis... who beat up on that sad little private school Stanford.

Comment

I didn't know that Mo Rolla was giving you a good game in the third quarter. Real nice rabbits! This note was from someone at the game.

Statefan must not have been at the same game I was, the mighty Miners scored on the third play of the second half to pull within three points of State, 24 to 21. Granted the last touchdown was against the second team. The bunnies are the bunnies again this year!

Comment

I am sorry, but I am not sure what success you are talking about.

Didn't the Jacks beat Notre Dame in baseball?

Didn't the girls beat Kentucky and Alabama in basketball?

Having no winning teams except for football
                            The girls basketball team went 21 - 7 last year, what are you talking about?

My money says UNO mens B-Ball team plays UNL closer than SDSU does.
                            UNO plays UNL in a exhibition game, that is not a real game.  UNL will be playing UNO with Freshmen and Sophmores to get them ready for a real game against the Rabbits.  Our game counts, yours will have an asterisk next to it.

Envy again - Go State  ;D ;D ;D
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Our game counts, yours will have an asterisk next to it.

Their game won't even be relected in UNL official record. Just as none of their DII wins matter outside of DII. Facts are facts. I'd rather be a fledgling DI team than a successful DII team. The promise at the DI level greatly outweighs the complacency that had set in at the DII level. We are not UNO or USD, were SDSU.

Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Didn't the Jacks beat Notre Dame in baseball?

Didn't the girls beat Kentucky and Alabama in basketball?

The girls basketball team went 21 - 7 last year, what are you talking about?

UNO plays UNL in a exhibition game, that is not a real game.  UNL will be playing UNO with Freshmen and Sophmores to get them ready for a real game against the Rabbits.  Our game counts, yours will have an asterisk next to it.

First of all, what your womens basketball team did last year as I have said in the past was impressive. I would go as far saying very impressive. I will be anxious to see if they follow it up. Your mens team was so bad that I think it took some of the luster off what the women did.

As far as the baseball team beating Notre Dame that was a case of a blind squirrel running upon a acorn. There are so many games in baseball you are going to have a game where you play perfect and they are off their game and that is what happened. I hope that I don't have to remind you what Nebraska did to you. We have beaten them in hockey many times so that does not hold much weight with me.

Having one program with success and all of the rest struggle greatly does equate with success to me. D1AA football is a far way off from D1 football. Save the UC Davis thing because that happens once every ten years. NDSU was average their last three years in D2 football and look what they have done in D1AA. The top ten teams in D2 would compete just fine in D1AA.

Mavs#1

Comment

Working...
                                X