• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 USD Defense

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.as...ea&tm=&src=FCS

Comment

That will go down as a good loss because they lost to the “team of the week”. A loss to a really good Montana team, a 56 point loss to Oklahoma where Bob said they showed improvement. Now a loss to the team of the week. The optimism must be unbelievable down there

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
        That will go down as a good loss because they lost to the “team of the week”. A loss to a really good Montana team, a 56 point loss to Oklahoma where Bob said they showed improvement. Now a loss to the team of the week. The optimism must be unbelievable down there
        I'll admit I didn't think it was THAT bad of a loss at first because I was confusing Abilene Christian with Houston Baptist...but yeah....thats a big uffda loss.
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Congrats to usd for getting a consolation prize. Simmons named offensive player of the week in the MVFC. Most yards thrown by a QB in The NCAA this season at any level. Youre still 0-3

Comment

On the day after, there seems to be a good number of Yote fans ready to jump off the good ship Nielson.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              On the day after, there seems to be a good number of Yote fans ready to jump off the good ship Nielson.
              But, Didn't they Just rush to lock him down with a new 5-year deal?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                But, Didn't they Just rush to lock him down with a new 5-year deal?
                I thought multi year contracts were limited to 3 years or did that get changed or am I making that up.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  I thought multi year contracts were limited to 3 years or did that get changed or am I making that up.
                  Apparently, it did or maybe it was not set in term of years. The administration and candidates, fill in the numbers, in Bob’s. case five years. So they said on the used msg board. A buy out even at current rates would exceed a million bucks. Something that is real money.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    https://www.kdlt.com/2019/07/15/niel...ension-at-usd/

Comment

Maybe Nielsen can still turn it around, this being his fourth year as HC, He soon needs wins or he is gone. The used fa ns are getting uneasy.

Comment

USD will have a big opportunity for a win on Sept. 21. The Coyotes play 0-3 Northern Colorado, the Big Sky's reigning, last-place team. UNC lost 50-0 to Sacramento State last Saturday. If the 0-3 Coyotes manage to lose again, look for apathy to take over in the money-sucking Dome, and talk in Verminville to shift to basketball.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          USD will have a big opportunity for a win on Sept. 21. The Coyotes play 0-3 Northern Colorado, the Big Sky's reigning, last-place team. UNC lost 50-0 to Sacramento State last Saturday. If the 0-3 Coyotes manage to lose again, look for apathy to take over in the money-sucking Dome, and talk in Verminville to shift to basketball.
                          Apathy was just named the new mascot...it has already set in and I get the feeling they(the fans) aren't too confident in this weeks matchup. Sure is a far cry different than what some of their posters thought it was going to be. We are a better conference when they are competitive. Almost feel bad for them.

Almost

Comment

Even though USD is clearly going through some troubles, I'd pick them to bounce back against a terrible UNC team. However, is UNC really worse than HBU? And UNC does have a great QB. And USD hasn't exactly been road warriors this decade...

My personal opinion is that Bob doesn't get fired after this year, no matter how bad it gets. I believe they'll let him coach for his life next season and see if there's some type of progress. While I don't think it's out of the question for him to be fired, I don't think they'll do it with anything more than 3 years left on his contract. That would be less than a million in a buyout. Obviously, that's a lot of money, but they'll lose five times that much on revenue over the next three years if ticket sales drop off in light of the subpar product on the field. They're in a real catch 22 right now: Hold onto him and hope for the best (when past history doesn't seem to indicate that's it's coming), or fire him and lose that money, start over, and be hamstringed paying the new guy since you're in the hole for a million bucks. I understand the need for them to extend his contract in the off season. They were expecting a better year and wanted to try to incentivize him to stay and/or put them into a better financial position of he leaves. But I don't understand the 5 year contract. Nothing he has done down there seems to warrant that type of commitment. And even if Bob fire's his DC this off season, they'll be starting over again down there next fall. 3rd DC in 3 years. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I just find the whole thing comical. From the "FearEd", to the "We are South Dakota", to that stupid button up and tie, the Bob Nielsen era has been a lot of hype, smokescreen, and underperformance. What an absolute dumpster fire, and what tragic way to kick off the dome renovations.
                            Last edited by Mr_Tibbs; 09-17-2019, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                              Even though USD is clearly going through some troubles, I'd pick them to bounce back against a terrible UNC team. However, is UNC really worse than HBU? And UNC does have a great QB. And USD hasn't exactly been road warriors this decade...

My personal opinion is that Bob doesn't get fired after this year, no matter how bad it gets. I believe they'll let him coach for his life next season and see if there's some type of progress. While I don't think it's out of the question for him to be fired, I don't think they'll do it with anything more than 3 years left on his contract. That would be less than a million in a buyout. Obviously, that's a lot of money, but they'll lose five times that much on revenue over the next three years if ticket sales drop off in light of the subpar product on the field. They're in a real catch 22 right now: Hold onto him and hope for the best (when past history doesn't seem to indicate that's it's coming), or fire him and lose that money, start over, and be hamstringed paying the new guy since you're in the hole for a million bucks. I understand the need for them to extend his contract in the off season. They were expecting a better year and wanted to try to incentivize him to stay and/or put them into a better financial position of he leaves. But I don't understand the 5 year contract. Nothing he has done down there seems to warrant that type of commitment. And even if Bob fire's his DC this off season, they'll be starting over again down there next fall. 3rd DC in 3 years. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I just find the whole thing comical. From the "FearEd", to the "We areally South Dakota", to that stupid button up and tie, the Bob Nielsen era has been a lot of hype, smokescreen, and underperformance. What an absolute dumpster fire, and what tragic way to kick off the dome renovations.
                              The bigger problem to me that they have is recruiting. They're consistently losing recruiting battles to SDSU, NDSU, and UNI. Now they're going to be in a really tough spot with the way this team looks like it's going to finish the season. Even if they fire Nielsen now, I think they're going to be struggling for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                                The bigger problem to me that they have is recruiting. They're consistently losing recruiting battles to SDSU, NDSU, and UNI. Now they're going to be in a really tough spot with the way this team looks like it's going to finish the season. Even if they fire Nielsen now, I think they're going to be struggling for a while.
                                And that's not good for the conference.

Since this is a smack thread: Is there a way SDSU can somehow offer some assistance? Perhaps the extension part of a Land Grant University has a role to play. We could send County Agent Hank Kimball* to Vermillion along with some grad students planning on becoming coaches. Kimball could advise on how to turn the Dome into a large retention facility suitable for handling some gross waste of some sort.

What is perhaps most scarey about the lackluster season so far for the Yotes is the statistical possibility that one day the Yotes will beat SDSU in football. This year the game is in Vermillion and there won't be any seats for Jacks fans.

*You don't remember Hank Kimball?!! Study your "Green Acres" re-runs.

Comment

Working...
                                X