Little pups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Little pups.

Yeah that is just a guess list. Ryan Miller's name will be brought up, I'm guessing Nebraska/Creighton assistants will be brought up.

I'm a big fan of Craig's, and I think he's a good coach, but IDK if USD would be the right fit. I'd give Augie's coach and Sather at Northern an interview.

It's hard to know what they are looking for and what type of $ are they going to have to throw around. Personally as an economics teacher I question paying $300K to someone who has never been a head coach when you can get a successful D-II head coach for half the money.

Comment

Whats Dave Boots up too. is he still coaching?
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Well yeah, I considered going to that numeral, but S.Dakotans will have sticker shock enough with the 5. I'm trying to ease them into it.
        If we are really serious about elevating the quality of basketball at SDSU, we need to bump the salary to at least $1 million. Even more would be better. Anyone who disagrees with me is a backwards hick from South Dakota.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

It doesn't matter how much we allocate to the coach they will still use the opportunity at SDSU to elevate to a more prestigious conference. So why over pay?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            It doesn't matter how much we allocate to the coach they will still use the opportunity at SDSU to elevate to a more prestigious conference. So why over pay?
            You’re right, I mean the MVC has a team in the final four and they pay exactly what we do. Oh wait, they don’t. The deeper runs you make the more money you get, and the more advertising you get for your university. The high mid majors pay far above what the Summit does and it’s not just because they feel like blowing money for no reason. If we’re paying in the $500-$600k range we aren’t losing coaches to Utah St or Drake or Wright St. We keep them until they have proven enough for a P5 team to want them, which likely includes a couple runs in the tourney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Because it doesn't work like that. They only will move on if they do well, and if we underpay and get a mediocre cabdidate, they won't be moving anywhere, until SDSU decides to part ways with them. The market is competitive, and you pay the going rate. SDSU has been getting a steal on their big 3 coaches for years now in a cost vs results comparison to our peers. If we want to stay competitive, it will cost more than we've been accustomed to because we've been able to pay low for the caliber of coaches we've had.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                You can’t win them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
                  5 years with a base salary at $650,000 per. Not a hard decision no matter where you are at.
                  Additional context - his salary goes up $25k each year. Total value of $3.5M over 5 years, which does not include added incentives and bonuses. My understanding is the old coach got bonuses for beating Utah and BYU, among other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                    Because it doesn't work like that. They only will move on if they do well, and if we underpay and get a mediocre cabdidate, they won't be moving anywhere, until SDSU decides to part ways with them. The market is competitive, and you pay the going rate. SDSU has been getting a steal on their big 3 coaches for years now in a cost vs results comparison to our peers. If we want to stay competitive, it will cost more than we've been accustomed to because we've been able to pay low for the caliber of coaches we've had.
                    Did we underpay to get TJ? If we did how did we get him? You pay what you can afford and not the going rate. If we continue to average less than 3,000 fans per game there is a cap on what we can afford. We are getting outdrawn by some of the DII schools in the state. There will always be talented P5 assistants who are looking for that first head coaching job and will come to one of the better mid-major programs. I'm sure Justin also would not be afraid to pursue someone at a lower level with the right pedigree. I'm all for paying what you can afford and then have incentive laden provisions to pay for performance. Most coaches are always going to move on for money, but also for new challenges in a better conference etc...I would argue Wright State was not necessarily a better job or conference, but Nagy had to move out to move up.

Comment

Did we underpay to get TJ? If we did how did we get him? You pay what you can afford and not the going rate. If we continue to average less than 3,000 fans per game there is a cap on what we can afford. We are getting outdrawn by some of the DII schools in the state. There will always be talented P5 assistants who are looking for that first head coaching job and will come to one of the better mid-major programs. I'm sure Justin also would not be afraid to pursue someone at a lower level with the right pedigree. I'm all for paying what you can afford and then have incentive laden provisions to pay for performance. Most coaches are always going to move on for money, but also for new challenges in a better conference etc...I would argue Wright State was not necessarily a better job or conference, but Nagy had to move out to move up.
                      I think we will see an attendance boost in basketball due to the renovation of Frost. Honestly, if you're in the bleachers at all or on the ends of the upper level fixed seats, Frost is not a good place to watch basketball.

I'm not a basketball season ticket holder and probably never will be because it's really hard to make the commitment to that many games when I don't live in Brookings or within a few minutes. However, I'll guarantee you I would go to more games than I do now if the seating (both comfort and easier access), viewing angles, and amenities (better and easier access), were all much better, which they will be in the renovated Frost.

I feel like those last 2 sentences are true for a lot of people that live outside of Brookings.

Just saying that we will likely have an increase in attendance which should leave more money available to pay coaches.

Comment

Eh, if we counted tickets sold like most places I’m willing to bet that we aren’t outdrawn by many regional teams.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Exactly. In my business, I always hire beyond my means. If I want my company to be something its not (and probably never will be), step 1 is falling in love with a job candidate and paying them way more than I can afford.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

What happens when we overpay a mediocre candidate?

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                              What happens when we overpay a mediocre candidate?
                              You let him go and you start over, just like anywhere else.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                                You let him go and you start over, just like anywhere else.
                                And be stuck with a guaranteed contract like everyone else. Don't buy the Mercedes when you can afford the Ford. I'm still shaking my head over the comment about paying the going rate. Who's going rate? No, we are not outdrawing Northern regardless of how you count the seats. The community has totally bought into their University.
                                Last edited by JACKGUYII; 03-28-2018, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X