A kinder, gentler Scott Nagy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A kinder, gentler Scott Nagy?

It was an exhibition game. Are you saying last years SDSU squad, a team that tied for the conference title was at the level of DWU? I knew some of the kids playing for DWU, good team; nice kids, they are playing NAIA for a reason.

But hey, I give up. You win. Get Augustana on the schedule ASAP. We need to figure out how to have a game with them annually. Maybe set it aside as a high profile opponent. Charge extra and really do it right. In fact, I think we need to put together an NSIC v Summit Holiday challenge. Justin Sell, get on the phone with Douple and get it done. I'm sure USD and NDSU will be in... or not.

Amazing. The fact that some of you can't figure out why Augie is not on our schedule. There really is nothing I can do for you. Again, what is in it for us? What benefit is there to us? One of you mentioned that Augie took a recruit away from us. Do you think that may have something to do with why we need to be sure and separate ourselves from them? They are a D2 school? You do understand what the difference is? Thankfully our AD and our head coach get it. This thread has gotten weird. I'm done.

Comment

Of course, the USD men have ROCKED the Summit since entering. I get it, your "realistic" about our BB program. Augie are awesome. You dislike Nagy, except when he wins. You wouldn't let your kid play for him, he's too mean. I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        I hate to be the one to break the news, but those people were right. USD's first year in the Summit League they beat SDSU... They beat UMKC 2 times (WIU, IUPUI, and NDSU couldn't). They also beat IUPUI and IPFW. They lost to WIU by 2, and lost to Southern Utah by two and another time in overtime. 7 points away from winning 8 games. Year one, they competed.

The Augie team of the last two years is arguably better than any DII USD team post the SDSU jump to DI.
        Of course, the USD men have ROCKED the Summit since entering. I get it, your "realistic" about our BB program. Augie's men are awesome. You dislike Nagy, except when he wins. You wouldn't let your kid play for him, he's too mean. I get it.

Comment

We have zero to gain and a lot to lose by playing Augie. ZERO! Win and we've done what we are supposed to. Lose and well people will be calling for Nagy's head and Augie will be saying they are the best team in the Dakotas.

It's going to be Augie's superbowl and won't mean anything to us...unless we lose.

Comment

Ok, it sounds like we've reached the point where everybody is ready to punch everybody else, so let's wrap this portion of this thread up with a quick recap.

From what I'm reading, I believe we're all in agreement that:
            --Augie and SDSU should play every year
            --There's unquestionable and exponential benefit for both programs to play this game.
            --In no way is it a risk or lose-lose situation for the Jackrabbits - in fact, there's plenty to gain.
            --Everybody WANTS to see this game between the Vikes and Jackrabbits, including coaches, fans, and average humans in general.
            --We all need (and want) to see the NCC reunited.
            --We all hate USD.

Did I miss anything? If not, good talk guys. Looking forward to seeing an Augie/SDSU game on the schedule. Together, we can make it happen.

(Seriously though, if you guys want to stop talking about it, we can. At this point I'll try to only worry about responding when someone addresses a comment I've made or an idea I've expressed directly. If that helps.)

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
              Of course, the USD men have ROCKED the Summit since entering. I get it, your "realistic" about our BB program. Augie's men are awesome. You dislike Nagy, except when he wins. You wouldn't let your kid play for him, he's too mean. I get it.
              You implied USD was not competitive, they were and now you're mad? Being competitive doesn't mean rocking the Summit, it means winning games.

Augie's men are pretty awesome at their level. A normal person would admit that could mean they would be competitive at a higher level. Have you been to a single Augie game in the last 2 years? I have. If you compare their attendance, coaching, recruiting, and facilities to the Summit League, it isn't hard at all to imagine them competing. IMO, Douple and the Summit League would LOVE Augie in the league and would welcome them tomorrow, but football makes it impossible. With a brand new stadium, they can't just drop the sport like Omaha did.

I said Coach Nagy was a great person and a great coach. I have close friends who are great people and great at what they do, but I would never want my kids working for them.

I'm confident SDSU would schedule Augie (and anybody else) if it made sense to the people who make those decisions. It hasn't made sense to this point. Beyond that, its ALL speculation.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                Ok, it sounds like we've reached the point where everybody is ready to punch everybody else, so let's wrap this portion of this thread up with a quick recap.

--There's unquestionable and exponential benefit for both programs to play this game.
                --In no way is it a risk or lose-lose situation for the Jackrabbits - in fact, there's plenty to gain.
                --Everybody WANTS to see this game between the Vikes and Jackrabbits, including coaches, fans, and average humans in general.
                --We all hate USD.

Did I miss anything? If not, good talk guys. Looking forward to seeing an Augie/SDSU game on the schedule. Together, we can make it happen.

(Seriously though, if you guys want to stop talking about it, we can. At this point I'll try to only worry about responding when someone addresses a comment I've made or an idea I've expressed directly. If that helps.)
                Hold on there Mr. Augustana. Your first 5 bullets seem sarcastic, but your last is reality. Now I don't know what to think.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                  It was an exhibition game. Are you saying last years SDSU squad, a team that tied for the conference title was at the level of DWU? I knew some of the kids playing for DWU, good team; nice kids, they are playing NAIA for a reason.

But hey, I give up. You win. Get Augustana on the schedule ASAP. We need to figure out how to have a game with them annually. Maybe set it aside as a high profile opponent. Charge extra and really do it right. In fact, I think we need to put together an NSIC v Summit Holiday challenge. Justin Sell, get on the phone with Douple and get it done. I'm sure USD and NDSU will be in... or not.

Amazing. The fact that some of you can't figure out why Augie is not on our schedule. There really is nothing I can do for you. Again, what is in it for us? What benefit is there to us? One of you mentioned that Augie took a recruit away from us. Do you think that may have something to do with why we need to be sure and separate ourselves from them? They are a D2 school? You do understand what the difference is? Thankfully our AD and our head coach get it. This thread has gotten weird. I'm done.
                  I am saying that the difference in many of the good lower division teams (i.e NAIA or DII) and lower Division I and Mid-Majors is not as great as you think it is. Just because you slap a Division I tag on a school does not automatically make it a better team than a Division II or NAIA team.

Comment

Originally posted by mr76 View Post
                    I am saying that the difference in many of the good lower division teams (i.e NAIA or DII) and lower Division I and Mid-Majors is not as great as you think it is. Just because you slap a Division I tag on a school does not automatically make it a better team than a Division II or NAIA team.
                    I used to think the same thing when we were NCC and D2, but have my doubts today. There are talent differences.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      I used to think the same thing when we were NCC and D2, but have my doubts today. There are talent differences.
                      Yep, there are reasons why players are playing at the D2 level and not D1. Granted players like Jansen could play at some mid-major schools just like Wolters could have played at some high majors. Those players are just hidden gems that other schools missed on. I think if Augie would be playing this year in the Summit, they would win some games but they would not compete for a championship.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

--We all hate USD.

As far as #5, just split off the western teams of NSIC and call yourselves NCC. Winona State beat the Gophers a bunch of years ago in an exhibition game, but they were in the midst of a multi-year dominant era and the Gophs weren't.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
                          As far as #5, just split off the western teams of NSIC and call yourselves NCC. Winona State beat the Gophers a bunch of years ago in an exhibition game, but they were in the midst of a multi-year dominant era and the Gophs weren't.
                          Sorry if you're just joking and I'm not picking up on your sarcasm, but I was mostly kidding throughout that post. I really have no attachment to "the old NCC" and really haven't thought twice about it since it disassembled. Most of the people I ever hear referring to the NCC are usually SDSU/NDSU fans who do the whole, "Larry Bird is not walking through that door" thing to make the local non-D1 programs' fans sound like they're clinging to a past that was eras and eras ago, even though I don't really know a ton of current Augie fans (at least under age 60) who care all that much about the old NCC.

Subsequently, I'm not one of those fans who cares about the old NCC.

The only bullet point on that list I was serious about was point #6. Thankfully, we can all agree on that one (I hope).

Comment

Nagy's best DII teams would struggle to win a single game against his current DI teams. The best DII programs today would beat some DI teams but not many and not consistently. The talent level is different across the roster. All this discussion about Augie is a huge waste of time in my opinion. We all hate USD, enough said.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Amen ^. At fear of starting more comments (not from me) on this subject: Augie has everything to gain and nothing to lose by playing SDSU. It's exactly the opposite for the Jacks. As a footnote, remember we didn't play USD after we went D-I, until they moved up (exactly the same). Augie will forever be D-II (unless they drop FB, which they won't). Congrats to them on having a very good team this year and good luck to them.

Comment

(contemplates any number of sarcastic comments about thread drift . . .

. . . walks off, comments unsaid . . .)
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X