Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A poll on primary MVFC rival NDSU's scheduling practices...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filbert
    replied
    Re: A poll on primary MVFC rival NDSU's scheduling practices...

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
    I get a kick out of this thread and the responses. You know what flavor the "cupcakes" are? Maybe sour grapes? We had #1 Georgia Southern on the schedule...they canceled. Sure, we did have one cupcake. We also scheduled the Gophers...years ago. We had to schedule who we could...it wasn't easy getting somebody to come here. There were not a lot of teams to choose from. I know plenty of Bison fans complained about how Montana schedules cupcakes etc, so I know we have the same whining...so don't take this as preaching from a pedestal.
    Yeah, you guys gotta stop scheduling Minnesota. Sheesh, schedule a REAL BCS school!

Leave a comment:

• rjacks21
    replied

I have no problem with scheduling cupcakes. Hell, I wish we had the funds to put together a schedule like NDSU. I'll take 2-0 and healthy over 1-2 with a grueling road trip, injuries, and a lack of confidence every year. The goal is to get to 7 wins and make the playoffs and the Jacks schedule never does them any favors.

Leave a comment:

• TransAmBison
    replied

I get a kick out of this thread and the responses. You know what flavor the "cupcakes" are? Maybe sour grapes? We had #1 Georgia Southern on the schedule...they canceled. Sure, we did have one cupcake. We also scheduled the Gophers...years ago. We had to schedule who we could...it wasn't easy getting somebody to come here. There were not a lot of teams to choose from. I know plenty of Bison fans complained about how Montana schedules cupcakes etc, so I know we have the same whining...so don't take this as preaching from a pedestal.

Leave a comment:

• Hammersmith
    replied

I'm going to paraphrase what a knowledgeable visitor from Lafayette told us.

There are three types of scholarship programs in FCS:

1. Regular - These programs have up to 63 equivalencies. Those equivalencies are a line item in the football budget. The equivalencies are awarded by the coach on the basis of football ability.

2. Patriot/Ivy - These programs have up to 63 equivalencies. Those equivalencies are a line item in the football budget. The equivalencies are awarded by the financial aid department on the basis of economic need.

3. Pioneer - These programs do not offer football scholarships of any kind. Any aid to a player is purely based on financial need and academic ability.

Group 3 is a result of a rule change back in the 70's or 80's. Back then, there were a group of schools that played DI basketball and DIII most everything else, including football. The NCAA closed that loophole and those schools were faced with a choice. They could drop FB, drop completely to DIII, or play DI FB. They decided on that last option, but chose not to award any athletic scholarships for FB.

As for Lafayette, their guy told us that they currently give out about 50 equivalents. The Patriot itself allows the max limit of 63. The NEC on the other hand limits scholarships to something like 40, and they were totally non-scholarship like the Pioneer not that long ago. StFU awarded a total of 20-25 equivalencies.

Leave a comment:

• LakeJack
    replied

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    I am not the one who said they are skimping on football, they put a lot of money into their program and have great facilities, that was my point. They are on a completely different level than St Francis.
    You are right, they are a different flavor of cup cake.

Leave a comment:

• sfjacksfan99
    replied

You forget to mention the fact they are getting a bye week the week before their money game against a team they could beat (again). Needless to say, they have a very nice schedule right out of the gate. The game against Ga. Southern likely would have been a whale of a game.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

I am not the one who said they are skimping on football, they put a lot of money into their program and have great facilities, that was my point. They are on a completely different level than St Francis.
    Yeah at 53k a pop, it adds up and yes they appear to have nice facility, but a two million budget is not comparable to NDSU or SDSU since a full ride cost maybe 15k at these two institutions. Those numbers are misleading and that is my point. The facility means nothing in terms of an annual budget. Would NDSU have the Fab Fargo Shed were it not for the Fargo city tax? I think you know the answer to that one.

Leave a comment:

• FargoBison
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

Some schools do report them to the NCAA. The NCAA lets them play vs FBS teams as bowl counters meaning that they need somewhere around 57 equivalencies. You can't really compare these schools to most of the FCS, they are small but have massive endowments.

Lafayette has a football budget that exceeds $4 million, which is 2x SDSU's football budget.
    f

Hold on there FargoBison. Lets look at their tuition and costs. It costs 53k to attend Layafette for one year. That would almost support 4 full rides at SDSU. So their 4 million budget is largely tuition and costs. If that was all football expense, they would have beaten the Bison soundly in the fab Fargo Shed. Is there a return game in the future? I did not think so.

http://finaid.lafayette.edu/tuition-and-costs/

Leave a comment:

• FargoBison
    replied

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    They aren't scholarships. Not athletic ones that need to be reported anyways, so I want to know how you came up with 50-60 scholarships, because if you are looking at it as including academic grants and scholarships as athletic ones, then I would bet you that SDSU and NDSU are actually closer to 80 scholarships through things like the Jackrabbit Guarantee and such.
    Some schools do report them to the NCAA. The NCAA lets them play vs FBS teams as bowl counters meaning that they need somewhere around 57 equivalencies. You can't really compare these schools to most of the FCS, they are small but have massive endowments.

Lafayette has a football budget that exceeds $4 million, which is 2x SDSU's football budget.

Leave a comment:

• thumper_76
    replied

Lafayette probably offers around 50-60 scholarships, the Patriot League goes about things a bit differently than most FCS leagues though using a hybrid model of scholarships and need-based aid. The Patriot League schools for the most part actually place a very high value on football, a few schools do skimp but Lafayette certainly isn't one of them.
    They aren't scholarships. Not athletic ones that need to be reported anyways, so I want to know how you came up with 50-60 scholarships, because if you are looking at it as including academic grants and scholarships as athletic ones, then I would bet you that SDSU and NDSU are actually closer to 80 scholarships through things like the Jackrabbit Guarantee and such.

Leave a comment:

• Prairiehaas
    replied

Lafayette went 2-9 last year. The Patriot League has no FCS champions and only two apearances in FCS championship games. Was it white or pink frosting with sprinkles on that cupcake?
    Last edited by Prairiehaas; 09-18-2011, 08:33 AM. Reason: deficient keyboarding skills

Leave a comment:

• FargoBison
    replied

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    With the Team makers bringing in the cash, much more than in Rabbit Nation, they pretty much cover the football budget and other budgets as well, so the Minnesota guarentee money would be enough to pay the two guarentees to Lafayette and St Francis assuming they were about 200k each. St Francis has 26 full rides for football, so I thinking UM-Duluth or Northwest Missouri, could have beaten St Francis. I don't know how many full rides Lafayette has but probably not many more than St Francis. These schools schimp on football in order to get their cut of the pie from the big dance. This schedule works for NDSU, but SDSU needs to keep taking on the powerful and collecting the cash. I had heard that SDSU paid 180k for the one and done with SUU. Is this correct, or did I swallow some coffee talk hook line and sinker.
    Lafayette probably offers around 50-60 scholarships, the Patriot League goes about things a bit differently than most FCS leagues though using a hybrid model of scholarships and need-based aid. The Patriot League schools for the most part actually place a very high value on football, a few schools do skimp but Lafayette certainly isn't one of them.

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    Good way to make the 20 team play-offs tho.
    Not this year. Bison will go to bed October 22 sulking about their fourth loss of the season. (Okay, I wrote that before the Cal Poly game started. )
    Last edited by JackJD; 09-17-2011, 07:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nidaros
    replied

With the Team makers bringing in the cash, much more than in Rabbit Nation, they pretty much cover the football budget and other budgets as well, so the Minnesota guarentee money would be enough to pay the two guarentees to Lafayette and St Francis assuming they were about 200k each. St Francis has 26 full rides for football, so I thinking UM-Duluth or Northwest Missouri, could have beaten St Francis. I don't know how many full rides Lafayette has but probably not many more than St Francis. These schools schimp on football in order to get their cut of the pie from the big dance. This schedule works for NDSU, but SDSU needs to keep taking on the powerful and collecting the cash. I had heard that SDSU paid 180k for the one and done with SUU. Is this correct, or did I swallow some coffee talk hook line and sinker.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X