Let's play "what if" (MWC/Pac-2/FBS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's play "what if" (MWC/Pac-2/FBS)

It seems to me that any SDSU move to FBS would require at least $5M and more likely $10M or more added to SDSU's annual athletic budget, which is just under $27M right now.

(https://knightnewhousedata.org/fcs/s...ate-university)

It is unlikely that $10M will be forthcoming from any possible TV rights deal. If the MWC gets desperate enough to actually invite SDSU, where would the money to be competitive at the FBS level come from? I realize that this is basically the same question as we had during the discussions of D-II to D-I, with just the dollar amounts changed. If we get the invite, will we be able to afford it?
    "I think we'll be OK"

And actually, the annual athletic budget would more likely be $50M or more--that's the neighborhood Wyoming and Utah State are now.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      It seems to me that any SDSU move to FBS would require at least $5M and more likely $10M or more added to SDSU's annual athletic budget, which is just under $27M right now.

(https://knightnewhousedata.org/fcs/s...ate-university)

It is unlikely that $10M will be forthcoming from any possible TV rights deal. If the MWC gets desperate enough to actually invite SDSU, where would the money to be competitive at the FBS level come from? I realize that this is basically the same question as we had during the discussions of D-II to D-I, with just the dollar amounts changed. If we get the invite, will we be able to afford it?
      $10M seems optimistic, given some estimates (prior to the most recent exodus) and let's not forget the $5M FBS application fee.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        And actually, the annual athletic budget would more likely be $50M or more--that's the neighborhood Wyoming and Utah State are now.
        I'd be curious about the MWC's stance on baseball and softball (and how SDSU would approach equestrian).

​​​​Wyoming offers 17 sports, sans baseball and softball, and the conference is losing teams that offered both. Wouldn't it be something if the fact SDSU and NDSU would allow them to help replenish depleted baseball/softball conference schedules (and potentially leverage Summit connections) would be factor tilting ledger in Jacks' favor

Comment

It seems like inviting FCS schools to move up might be low on their priority list of potential members. Saw a report last night that they have asked the MAC for permission to talk with Toledo and NIU.

Comment

From ESPN: (on 9/26/24)
            With six full-time members and one partial member in Hawai'i, the Mountain West still needs to add two full-time football-playing schools to meet the NCAA minimum requirement but would have until the start of the 2028 to do so. The Pac-12 stands at seven members and will need an additional school by the 2026 season.

Opportunities are evolving. MWC will have $$'s from their dearly departed to entice new members. With the revenue sharing from TV, do those monies entice SDSU, or NDSU, or the Montana schools? A slice of the football play-off could be in play as well?

AD Justin Sell once cautioned to not move too quickly; lest a mistake be made. Is the launch countdown ticking ...

Comment

Seems like they keep robbing from each other, this can go on forever, why not just get more teams in the pool (fcs) and there will be no need to keep robbing from each other right? Too many after too few ? Maybe they all want "the other guy" to have to do it, not them. Oh well, it's all quite entertaining to see how this all unfolds.

Comment

Joining the MWC as a FB only member is an option. I don't think becoming a full member is really feasible. The travel costs for all our sports teams would likely be too much.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  Joining the MWC as a FB only member is an option. I don't think becoming a full member is really feasible. The travel costs for all our sports teams would likely be too much.
                  That would alleviate concerns about losing the Summit Tourney too

Comment

Working...
                  X