2011 FCS playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 FCS playoffs

Undefeated Sam Houston St. gets the #1 seed, 10-1 NDSU #2, 9-2 Georgia Southern #3, 9-2 Montana #4, and 9-2 Northern Iowa #5 seed.

UNI and NDSU the only MVFC teams to get in, I for one, was not surprised ISU-R or YSU or ISU-B were left out.

NDSU gets a cakewalk bracket, AFAIC, at least until their third game (I suppose JMU would give them a game, EKU, no way) and UNI wont get past Montana, but that's why they play the games I suppose.

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf8/799308.p...20111120140859
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Re: 2011 FCS playoffs

The Redbirds really hosed themselves. They had the game against UNI yesterday. I was watching the 4th quarter play by play and hell, my heart rate was a touch higher. Down 10-6 with about 13 minutes to go ISU goes on a 19 play, 85 yard drive converting three 4th downs including the 1 yard TD run for the lead. The drive took an amazing 9 minutes 58 seconds. They proceed to give up too much on the kickoff and UNI drives quickly and hits a 40 yard field goal to tie. Then ISU missed a 37 yard FG in overtime #2.

Ouch.

But if the MVFC is the #2 team in the GPI conference rankings, how do they not get 3 in the expanded playoffs? Heck, NDSU made it last year with a 4-4 conference record. ISU-Red was 5-3 in the #2 power conference in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
      The Redbirds really hosed themselves. They had the game against UNI yesterday. I was watching the 4th quarter play by play and hell, my heart rate was a touch higher. Down 10-6 with about 13 minutes to go ISU goes on a 19 play, 85 yard drive converting three 4th downs including the 1 yard TD run for the lead. The drive took an amazing 9 minutes 58 seconds. They proceed to give up too much on the kickoff and UNI drives quickly and hits a 40 yard field goal to tie. Then ISU missed a 37 yard FG in overtime #2.

Ouch.

But if the MVFC is the #2 team in the GPI conference rankings, how do they not get 3 in the expanded playoffs? Heck, NDSU made it last year with a 4-4 conference record. ISU-Red was 5-3 in the #2 power conference in the country.
      ISU-R had no quality wins, and a bad loss to EIU (2-9).
      NDSU, '10, had wins against FBS Kansas, and their worse loss was to another of the 4-4 MVFC (Mo St.), and I believe a W over the #2 MVFC team, Western IL., and no OOC losses.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86RTSL6WGS4
        FCS playoff brackets and what we are doing for the Thanksgivings weekend.
        Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
        Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

JMU and E. Kentucky are tied 7-7 midway throught the second...in front of a 1/3 to 1/2 full E. Kentucky crowd....IT'S THE PLAYOFFS, GO WATCH YOUR TEAM....terrible. There is no way EKU should've got home field advantage with that kind of TERRIBLE crowd support.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Not sure if you guys saw this link that got tweeted around but it's something to chew on when thinking about the FCS Playoffs.

http://www.college-sports-journal.co...-for-the-field

I don't buy much of it but it supports RowdyRabbit's point about the small crowd today and I thought the same thing watching on ESPNU. I'll say that I think there has to be a better way of awarding home games in the playoffs than to the school that throws the most money at the game. SDSU would be on the wrong end of that fight every time. One idea could be seeding the whole tourney, 1-20 but you wouldn't guarantee the most money that way. Regardless, the better team should host the game, even though the method of selecting that in completely subjective.

I've stewed over the selection show since last Sunday and I'm over it now. But the ESPNU guys saying that Delaware should be in really made me mad, when there were at least 5 7-win teams that I would have selected before them, including Illinois State. The Blue Hens had 6 D-I wins; why don't they understand about that. Get some guys on there that can break down the FCS for 30 minutes and actually add something about the teams. If you're on the telecast, wouldn't you take some pride in what you do and do some research?

/end rant

Comment

Thats the attendance of the JMU @ EKU game. What. A. Joke.

Not surprisingly, by the way, JMU won. Although it was WAY closer than I thought it would be.

Comment

And JMU was over 25,000 in attendance for four of their five home games.

http://www.jmusports.com/fls/14400/s...11/teamgbg.htm

This sheds a little more light on the Eastern Kentucky decision:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...spx?id=4451972

Not that home field helped the Colonels out anyways.

Comment

I found this article, which laughs in the face of being objective, on the website of EKU's hometown paper and it's quite funny knowing how the attendance turned out: (He refers to "bleeding blue," a reference to UK's big game vs. Tennessee Saturday, which the Wildcats won)

http://richmondregister.com/localspo...-time-to-shine

There should be a response to the poor attendance in Sunday's paper and I'll post it when I find it.

Comment

Sam Houston St. makes the Championship game. I had in-laws over and spaced the game off, anyone watch? How did either team look?

Comment

SHSU built a 3 td lead early and rode that to the win. They put up a lot of yds running against UM.

If SHSU ends up playing GA So it could be a high scoring championship game with two potent, run oriented, offenses playing.
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                        SHSU built a 3 td lead early and rode that to the win. They put up a lot of yds running against UM.

If SHSU ends up playing GA So it could be a high scoring championship game with two potent, run oriented, offenses playing.
                        Seem like Sam Houston when they played in Brookings was afraid to pass into the wind. Looks like a real turnaround down there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Seem like Sam Houston when they played in Brookings was afraid to pass into the wind. Looks like a real turnaround down there.
                          When exactly was this? I don't remember SDSU ever playing Sam Houston State, if they did it was a LONG time ago. Maybe you are thinking Stephen F. Austin or Texas State...

Comment

I wonder what effect the news of the sexual assaults by three Montana football players had on their game. Yesterday morning reports were in the news about three unidentified players...no charges filed etc....

Comment

GSU vs NDSU game coming up on espn3.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/...pn3/id/320364/

Comment

Working...
                              X