Haraldson (SDSU '76) named to USD post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haraldson (SDSU '76) named to USD post

Tena Haraldson (SDSU BS Journalism, 1976), former head of the Associated Press in the Dakotas, was named to USD's director of communications and media relations. Tena and I were journalism classmates -- she was the Editor of the Collegian in those years and the Collegian was an award-winning college newspaper. She's the recipient of numerous professional awards and is a Distinguished Alumnus of the the Department of Journalism and South Dakota State University. The official press release is below.

Tena does a great job at anything she tackles. Watch USD's media apparatus operate at a much better level. Good hire by USD -- reminds me a little of when SDSU's legendary Sports Information Director, Ron Lenz, served as the SID for the Coyotes for a few years in the last part of the 1970s before returning to his Jackrabbit roots.

USD names Tena Haraldson Director of Communications and Media Relations

VERMILLION, S.D. -- Tena Haraldson of Sioux Falls, S.D., has been named director of communications and media relations for the University of South Dakota.

Haraldson formerly served as Associated Press chief of bureau for North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. Her 35-year career with the AP included state Capitol and political reporting, as well as developing and managing AP staff and news coverage in six bureaus.

“USD has a great story to tell as it grows academic programs and moves into NCAA Division I,” Haraldson said. “I look forward to sharing that experience and spreading the word about all the new developments.”

As chief of bureau she worked with newspaper and broadcast executives across the region, provided professional training for hundreds of journalists and advocated for government openness. Since 2000, she has served on working groups appointed by the South Dakota attorney general and the South Dakota Supreme Court to increase citizen access to government meetings, records and courts.

“With more than three decades of experience at the Associated Press and a vast network of media resources at the state, regional and national levels, we’re very excited to have Tena’s leadership and expertise lead the communications and media relations department at USD,” stated Jeff Baylor, vice president of marketing, enrollment and student services at USD.

Haraldson is a 1976 graduate of South Dakota State University with a B.S. in science writing journalism. She was named a distinguished alumnus of both the SDSU journalism department and the university.

Working...
X