X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filbert
    replied
    Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

I can definitely see merit in having it both ways. I just prefer the ease of navigation if the new posts don't disappear. "New Posts" wouldn't be a good name for what I'm looking for, it's more of an activity stream, showing the latest activity on the board, regardless of whether I've seen it or not. The "New Topics" section could potentially work for this, but again, topics disappear if I've already seen the posts. At that point I'm relegated to going through the forum page and sifting through the different sections to find the recent post I'm looking for.
    I ***may*** have found something that ***might*** do something like you want. But I'll have to figure out how to do it!

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied
    Originally posted by BTownJack View Post

This defeats the purpose of "new topics" as once they show you and you've read it, it is no longer "new". This is one of those things that more people, like myself, would much prefer it work the way it is now. Although I understand your frustration on this being different than the old board software.
    I can definitely see merit in having it both ways. I just prefer the ease of navigation if the new posts don't disappear. "New Posts" wouldn't be a good name for what I'm looking for, it's more of an activity stream, showing the latest activity on the board, regardless of whether I've seen it or not. The "New Topics" section could potentially work for this, but again, topics disappear if I've already seen the posts. At that point I'm relegated to going through the forum page and sifting through the different sections to find the recent post I'm looking for.

Leave a comment:

• Justwin
    replied
    I understand running this board is largely like cutting the grass at a golf course in which it is impossible to do correctly to make people happy but is there a way for me to filter when I open a topic to show the most recent post rather than hitting the latest button?

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied

Unfortunately I don't think it did, from what I experienced this morning anyway. The first time I opened the browser on my phone that I leave on this site, I went to "new posts" and it said there was nothing new. Yet when I went to "new topics", there was a post from around 7:30 this morning that I had clearly not seen yet. Also, in "new topics", it seems like it's only showing topics that contain posts I haven't seen yet.

I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. If I've seen a new post before, I don't want it to disappear from the "new posts" page. I just want the old "what's new" page back where it seemed to hold the posts from the last day or two. Maybe I'm in the minority on wanting this? Sometimes I'll read a new post and want to comment on it but won't have time right then. I want to come back to it later. With the current way it's set up, I would have to go into forums and figure out which section it was posted under.

Thanks for all your hard work on this. I understand that it's a largely thankless job. If I had any blog/website expertise I would provide help, but unfortunately I don't. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help troubleshoot at least.
    This defeats the purpose of "new topics" as once they show you and you've read it, it is no longer "new". This is one of those things that more people, like myself, would much prefer it work the way it is now. Although I understand your frustration on this being different than the old board software.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied

I did stumble across that. Is there any way to have a permanent that would take me to a search with that criteria?
    I don't know of a way right now, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied
    Originally posted by filbert View Post
    I know it's not exactly what you want Cappin but you can do an advanced search on the date from yesterday to today and get everything that was posted. It's a lot clunkier than the old way but it might give you something like what you want.
    I did stumble across that. Is there any way to have a permanent that would take me to a search with that criteria?

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied
    I know it's not exactly what you want Cappin but you can do an advanced search on the date from yesterday to today and get everything that was posted. It's a lot clunkier than the old way but it might give you something like what you want.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied
    Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Search index build complete. Don't know if it made any difference.
    Unfortunately I don't think it did, from what I experienced this morning anyway. The first time I opened the browser on my phone that I leave on this site, I went to "new posts" and it said there was nothing new. Yet when I went to "new topics", there was a post from around 7:30 this morning that I had clearly not seen yet. Also, in "new topics", it seems like it's only showing topics that contain posts I haven't seen yet.

I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. If I've seen a new post before, I don't want it to disappear from the "new posts" page. I just want the old "what's new" page back where it seemed to hold the posts from the last day or two. Maybe I'm in the minority on wanting this? Sometimes I'll read a new post and want to comment on it but won't have time right then. I want to come back to it later. With the current way it's set up, I would have to go into forums and figure out which section it was posted under.

Thanks for all your hard work on this. I understand that it's a largely thankless job. If I had any blog/website expertise I would provide help, but unfortunately I don't. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help troubleshoot at least.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied
    Search index build complete. Don't know if it made any difference.

Leave a comment:

• adminhare
    replied
    Since about 3:30 pm CST or thereabouts, I've been "rebuilding the search index" after deleting same, hoping that might help some of the problems. It's still running as of right now, 5:10 pm.

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied
    Regarding avatars . . . I think I found something on the support board saying that people needed to re-load their avatars, or I need to re-associate them with each user individually using the admin tool. This seems very weird to me because they're there on the server, I can see them, but I can't figure out how to tell the new vBulletin version that they're there. You'd think there would be a tool to just go in and re-attach all the avatars to the users! (Grrrrr....)

Regarding search and display weirdness, as well as the overall slowness of the board (at least from my point of view) . . . from what I've been able to find out, it looks like I've got PHP database configuration parameter problems. Unfortunately, what I know about PHP would fit on the head of a pin. Any SDSUFans out there who are ace database/PHP experts? Asking for help here! PM me if you fit the description.

Leave a comment:

• CappinHard
    replied
    The New Posts tab is definitely not working right.... The way it is set up now would be alright if it worked, but ultimately I just want it the way it used to be, it was such an easy way to see the latest activity and I loved how it didn't go away if I had already seen it. It was a lot like Twitter with the "see latest tweets first" feature active. Hopefully there's an option like that with the upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied
    And when I came back in and hit "new topics" again it listed Jackrabbit Football having something unread but it was my own post. So it should be smart enough to know that I've already read that one since I'm the one who posted it.

Leave a comment:

• BTownJack
    replied
    I think this is similar to what others are seeing as far as weird behavior since the upgrade. Today I go in and the Football thread is marked blue as something has changed since I was last here as MontanaRabbit has posted this morning.

SDSU1.jpgbut when I click on "New Topics" it lists me as the most recent poster which conflicts with above and I have no little blue down arrow which let's me navigate to the most recent unread post.

SDSU2.jpg

Leave a comment:

• filbert
    replied
    Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post

Yes, the main forums page.
    I've noticed some weirdness myself. I'll have to play with it & do some research. But yah it's weird.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X