• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professor firing stirs controversy

http://www.brookingsregister.com/v2_...&story_id=8819

Interesting story

Re: Professor firing stirs controversy

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I heard about this from one of the medical students who was at SDSU last year. Interestingly, she was also a VB player at SDSU and had some insight to the coaching issues.

Anyway, sounds like the Professor may have gotten a raw deal but then again, we don't know the whole story.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I know nothing about this situation, but I think it would be fair to assume that SDSU doesn't take the firing of tenured professors lightly. In other words, they would probably have a good reason (better than the one hinted at in the article.) I would guess the next step is a lawsuit.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

It strikes me that discussion of censuring SDSU--without all of the facts of the matter being known--is wildly irresponsible. I briefly peeked at the AAUP web site and I see no statement that the organization is threatening such a move at this point. It seems to me that it would be premature for the AAUP to do so at this juncture.

it similarly strikes me that Prof. Catangui is owed the benefit of some doubt from those of us who do not have the facts of the matter.

I will finally say I think it would have been much wiser for the SDSU administration to give Catangui some kind of formal hearing before dismissing him. (Aside: Do we know for a fact that he did not receive such a formal hearing? Just asking . . .we know that it's alleged that he didn't get a hearing. Not the same thing, from my point of view, far, far outside.)

Still, I'm disappointed (but not particularly surprised) that they've handled this so clumsily, as I have observed what I consider to be a certain lack of finesse regarding personnel matters from SD State government--including the BOR institutions--generally over the years. Blanket "no comment" statements don't work any more, if indeed they ever really did. You really have to come out and say something like "we followed the laws of the state and the regulations and rules of the Board of Regents and of the university in this matter." You can't just say "it's a personnel matter, we can't comment." That invites a feeding frenzy.

The truth will--we shall hope--out.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Those two firings back in 1962 probably involved Dr Worzella and a faculty member Hickson.
          Worzella had been fired once before 1958, and got reinstated. He had ways of getting research dollars that did not involve the President, the Dean of Agriculture, or even the Board of Regents. The Dr, worked with wheat grower associations across the state and lobbyists to the SD Legislature. I dont recall what happen to Hickson, but he apparently was quarreling with Dr. Worzella. One of HM Briggs first course of action as president of SDSU was to fire these two individuals which he did and then the AAUP got involved. If some of you older guys remember something different, please share.

I am surprised that this censure lasted until 1991. Why did SDSU let it go that far before they took the corrective action to remove the censure? Now the same thing is about to happen if we let the chips fall where they may. I suspect the AAUP website would be tight lipped about what it is about to do.

The full story on the current matter is not out there and we will soon learn more. I agree with JimmyJack, a law suit is no doubt in the works.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 08-01-2010, 09:29 PM.

Comment

The topic of whether SDSU's administration treated the entomologist fairly really bugs me.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              The topic of whether SDSU's administration treated the entomologist fairly really bugs me.

Comment

Okay, that was a bad one.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  For the google impaired...entomology is the study of insects...really, really bad attempt at a pun by JackJD. No, seriously, you've done better. Lawyer jokes might be more your forte.
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    You can't just say "it's a personnel matter, we can't comment."
                    It amuses me that the rationale for such privacy policies in South Dakota is vastly different from suppositions of nefarious conduct that are often attributed to it.

The rationale has generally been to protect the fired individual from further harm, assuming that it was a termination with cause. The idea being that the reason for termination of employment, unless it involved criminal activity, should not be disclosed to a future employer, or the public in general, in order to give the employee a chance at a 'fresh start'.

Given the 'Main Street' nature of Pierre (and Vermillion, Brookings, Aberdeen, Madison and Spearfish), the policy of silence on the grounds and process of termination is not entirely without merit, IMO.

But times have changed since this policy was put in place, and now, as Filbert points out, silence is taken as practically an admission of guilt----whether that's right or wrong, it is the way things are.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                      For the google impaired...entomology is the study of insects...really, really bad attempt at a pun by JackJD. No, seriously, you've done better. Lawyer jokes might be more your forte.
                      Several puns came to mind but that was the best I could do.

I've learned one can get "groans" for rep points.

Comment

This entire thread bugs me. It gives me the creepy crawlies. It's like ants in the pants.

(Too much, Grasshopper? *)

* Kung Fu TV show reference, for the young'uns.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

There's a Black Flag hanging over this thread.

Do they still make Black Flag bug killer?
                          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I move we change the title to "Professor firing stirs hornet's nest".
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

A follow up story, Professor is going to get a hearing

http://www.brookingsregister.com/v2_...&story_id=8843

Comment

Working...
                              X