Football Difference Maker's Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football Difference Maker's Club

Not sure who all received this invite but I'm going to make it public at least on this forum. The more people it reaches, the better IMHO. I don't know how to attach the link to the brochure included with the e-mail. If someone can instruct me I will attempt.

Attention Jacks Football Fan,

Beginning this September we are starting something new in our football program to reach out to our fans. For the first time ever SDSU Football is offering a Football specific support club titled the “Difference Maker’s Club” This club is our version of a “Quarterback Club”. I expect our efforts will make a difference in your knowledge of our program and student-athletes. I know your membership will make a difference in our program by helping to support various critical areas. With your membership in the Difference Maker’s Club you will have the opportunity to attend a weekly Football specific meeting. These weekly meetings will begin Monday September 6th (Labor Day) the week of our opening game at the University of Delaware and continue throughout the season including the playoffs as SDSU advances.

We will also host two Difference Maker’s Club meetings in the spring. The first will coincide with National Letter of intent week where we will focus on SDSU’s 2011 recruits. The second will serve as the culmination of 2011 Spring Practice.

During each meeting we will show highlights from the Jackrabbits last game as well as film footage of our next opponent. Your membership in the Difference Maker’s Club will provide you with a unique insiders’ view into the program not previously provided. You will also have a chance each week to ask the “tough questions” about our program you’ve always wanted to ask but never had a chance to.

The meetings will be held at the Holiday Inn City Center on Monday nights at 6:45 PM. There will be snacks served at each meeting. Alcohol will be available for purchase.

Again this is your opportunity to have inside access to the world of Jackrabbit football and Make a Difference in the lives of our young men. I do encourage you to review the attached brochure for details on membership benefits and dues. If you have any questions or concerns please direct them to our Senior Secretary Tonya Hohenthaner at SDSU.Football@sdbor.edu or call the Dykhouse Student-Athlete Center office phone: (605) 688-6955.

I hope that you will choose to get involved – because when you do, “Jacks Win!”

God Bless,
    John Stiegelmeier

Head Football Coach

South Dakota State University

Thanks,
    Tonya Hohenthaner

Dykhouse Student-Athlete Center Coordinator

Senior Secretary - Jackrabbit Football

South Dakota State University

Tonya.Hohenthaner@sdstate.edu

Office: (605) 688-6955

Fax: (605) 688-6916
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Football Difference Maker's Club

The email invite I recieved said the weekly meetings would be held Wednesday mornings (6:45 AM w/continental breakfast) at the Dykhouse Center, so the location of where you are living must make a difference in what meeting you would be invited to - although I'm sure if you joined you would be welcome at either.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I got the same email and like jackrabbit1979 email, it mentioned a 6:45 AM meeting at the Dykhouse Student Center. JackMD's letter calls for a monday evening meeting at a Holiday Inn, so I suspect they are going to have two meetings one in Brookings and the other in Sioux Falls.

Its a great idea and plan to support it. I doubt they will turn any interested person away, especically if you got cash to donate.

Comment

I like that they are getting creative. However. I don't like that there isn't a "Gameday Pass", like $40 or something for individual meetings. All the fundraising I've seen is designed to hit the homerun or "Big Score". Well most of us are not "Big Score" people. I think my home budget out, and large donations are never part of it. But, I still donate to charities when they come by or in the mail $10-$20.
        I've said it once, I'll say it again: Incremental small fundraising could be huge for this university if they would put forth a littlle more effort.
        Will I shell out $500-$1000 on a whim? Nope, not even close. Would I drop a $10-$20 or even $50(depends on how much fun I had tailgating)in a bucket at the entrance of CAS? You betcha, especially if they put up those drawings of the new stadium. People by nature are impulsive. But there is no way I just fit it into my budget(especially the one I have to explain to my wife).
        Small carnival of games for the kids in the Tailgate area? Sure I'd pay for some of those for my kids(not to mention the more kids that parents bring to games as discussed in other threads).
        A huge cowbell to ring $5 bucks a smack, before games. That would cure a lot of cowbell itchy fingers and raise some $!
        Like everybody else I'm a thinker when it comes to finances, but I'm just as impulsive as the next guy. Especially when I look at CAS on the way in and can imagine how much greater it could possibly be.
        (End Rant)
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
          I like that they are getting creative. However. I don't like that there isn't a "Gameday Pass", like $40 or something for individual meetings. All the fundraising I've seen is designed to hit the homerun or "Big Score". Well most of us are not "Big Score" people. I think my home budget out, and large donations are never part of it. But, I still donate to charities when they come by or in the mail $10-$20.
          I've said it once, I'll say it again: Incremental small fundraising could be huge for this university if they would put forth a littlle more effort.
          Will I shell out $500-$1000 on a whim? Nope, not even close. Would I drop a $10-$20 or even $50(depends on how much fun I had tailgating)in a bucket at the entrance of CAS? You betcha, especially if they put up those drawings of the new stadium. People by nature are impulsive. But there is no way I just fit it into my budget(especially the one I have to explain to my wife).
          Small carnival of games for the kids in the Tailgate area? Sure I'd pay for some of those for my kids(not to mention the more kids that parents bring to games as discussed in other threads).
          A huge cowbell to ring $5 bucks a smack, before games. That would cure a lot of cowbell itchy fingers and raise some $!
          Like everybody else I'm a thinker when it comes to finances, but I'm just as impulsive as the next guy. Especially when I look at CAS on the way in and can imagine how much greater it could possibly be.
          (End Rant)
          If you read JackMD's post, a gift 10 to 20 bucks will most likely qualify as a differencee maker, and all you need to do is show up. I am not so sure about a bucket at CAS, you would need to have a constant security watch of some sort. Easy come easy go, and students and alumni are not above stealing from the bucket if given an opportunity. I like the cow bell idea. These meetings are similar to those held in the past, but you got reports from all fall, winter and spring sports. I think we are trying to start a gathering of strickly football people, so we will miss the report from the swinning and soccer coaches. Football needs the cash bad to keep going so this is why its a spin off from the other weekly meetings.

Comment

How about a 50/50?
            They get an insane amount of $$ for things in Knoxville IA during the Knoxville Nationals.
            The Sat night Show has been paying out close to $40K to the winner for like 3 yrs now. (IIRC) which is only half of the money.

Just think what did we average last yr? something like 12k fans.
            Say you get an average of $5 from each in a 50/50 that would be $30K a game for one lucky fan and the program...

Would you throw $5 in the hat for a Shot @ $30K?

Take that times the # of games (5) and your left with $150K!

Now I know the first year it wouldn't be as big, but I know how this deal works.. and it's a total snowball effect.
            Last edited by slosho; 07-29-2010, 04:33 PM. Reason: Clean it up a bit style wise

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              If you read JackMD's post, a gift 10 to 20 bucks will most likely qualify as a differencee maker, and all you need to do is show up. I am not so sure about a bucket at CAS, you would need to have a constant security watch of some sort. Easy come easy go, and students and alumni are not above stealing from the bucket if given an opportunity. I like the cow bell idea. These meetings are similar to those held in the past, but you got reports from all fall, winter and spring sports. I think we are trying to start a gathering of strickly football people, so we will miss the report from the swinning and soccer coaches. Football needs the cash bad to keep going so this is why its a spin off from the other weekly meetings.
              Well I got the email and it didn't look like that was the deal in the brochure. But hey if they let me in for $20, I'd go, definitely after the away games. Will we have a Chronic Forum Posting support group meeting afterwards?

Comment

(End Rant)
                When it comes to making gifts to charities, educational institutions etc., it would be wrong to be critical of someone's point of view. So, this post should not be construed as any form of criticism: it's just a different point of view. I think those who have the wherewithall and the desire to make substantial gifts AND those who make small gifts are both critical to the success of fundraising for SDSU athletics. I think that by going for large donations, or what you've called the Big Score, the athletic dept. makes the most efficient use of its time and effort in fundraising. How many $10 or $20 donations in a year would have raised the equivalent of what Mr. Sanford donated to assist in construction of the Dykhouse Center? But, all donations are of critical importance, no matter the size.

Personally, I think building donations into one's budget as opposed to impulse donations, is the way to go. I wouldn't shell out $500 or $1000 on a whim, either; but with a little advance notice and planning, I would consider it and plan for it.

NDSU has had its "Teammakers" for decades and it shows in the financial support for the athletic department in Fargo. I think it's about time SDSU starts its version of the old "quarterback club".

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  When it comes to making gifts to charities, educational institutions etc., it would be wrong to be critical of someone's point of view. So, this post should not be construed as any form of criticism: it's just a different point of view. I think those who have the wherewithall and the desire to make substantial gifts AND those who make small gifts are both critical to the success of fundraising for SDSU athletics. I think that by going for large donations, or what you've called the Big Score, the athletic dept. makes the most efficient use of its time and effort in fundraising. How many $10 or $20 donations in a year would have raised the equivalent of what Mr. Sanford donated to assist in construction of the Dykhouse Center? But, all donations are of critical importance, no matter the size.

Personally, I think building donations into one's budget as opposed to impulse donations, is the way to go. I wouldn't shell out $500 or $1000 on a whim, either; but with a little advance notice and planning, I would consider it and plan for it.

NDSU has had its "Teammakers" for decades and it shows in the financial support for the athletic department in Fargo. I think it's about time SDSU starts its version of the old "quarterback club".
                  I could not have said it better JackJD.

The point about the Teammakers hits home, as when I have attended weekly meeting in the past, they have included reports from all that coaches who where engaged in a season of play. I think it's helpful to hear these reports but most of the time I came to hear what Coach Stig had to say. I think with Football getting its own following will not distract from other sports. Revenue is needed to keep football afloat and if we are lucky we finance other sports with the left overs. Also using the Dykhouse as a gathering point will be a boast. I have yet to set foot inside so look forward to the first meeting.

Comment

Whoa..for the record I am not critical of anybody who donates large sums of money. That's awesome, and I hope I didn't come across as that. Of course that's always easiest when someone plops down a million here and million there. And living in SF and being a Jacks Fan, I applaud Mr. Sanford at every chance I get. But how many of those big donors can continue? I just feel 5000-10000 donations of 10 or 20 bucks every home game is a pretty realistic goal. Even if it was only $5 X 5000=$25000 OR $125000 a season! Tell me $125000 wouldn't help the football program every year? Geez maybe pay raises for the coaches, I don't know. My suggestions were really pointed at tapping donations from the more budget oriented fan, who would still give yet are a little put off by being asked to donate $XXXXX all the time.

I go with the old saying: If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Comment

I go with the old saying: If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
                      And that's why the change to the new Football Difference Maker's Club.

Easy way to make a donation each week: buy season tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        And that's why the change to the new Football Difference Maker's Club.

Easy way to make a donation each week: buy season tickets.
                        Already got 'em, thanks! And a tailgate spot

Comment

But there is no way I just fit it into my budget(especially the one I have to explain to my wife).
                          Easy solution, don't tell the wife! I kid, I kid.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                            Easy solution, don't tell the wife! I kid, I kid.
                            then i have to work a divorce lawyer into the budget!

Comment

$300 is the minimum a person can join the Difference Makers for. I'll join if I can get a buddy or two to join and go w/ me.

Comment

Working...
                              X