Two transfer in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two transfer in

Terry reports two transfers into the SDSU volleyball team in his Twitter today.

One is Steph Kroeze, from Sioux Falls Roosevelt, who was a freshman on last year's volleyball team at USD, and the other, Bailey Philippot, is apparently a freshman recruit for this year's University of Houston team. Here's a link to Baily Philippot:

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/w-vo..._bailey00.html

And one for Kroeze, who as a senior at Roosevelt was First Team All State and on the 2008 All Tournament Team at state championships:

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/wvball/media09.pdf

Re: Two transfer in

Here is a link to the gojacks story on the same subject.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=204969178

Comment

The USD transfer will be sitting out this season, correct?

Comment

They both will have to sit this year won't they? Both are transferring from DI schools.

Quick edit - I didn't catch that Phillipot was an incoming Freshman this year. I wonder if she signed an NLI with Houston. If so, there is a chance she still has to sit, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
          The USD transfer will be sitting out this season, correct?
          I think so.

I think, if you transfer out the first year of the D-1 transition period, that you can play without sitting because, that first year, the school isn't even provisionally D-1.

But that's just my guess....

Comment

Both will be able to play right away and have been on campus for most of the summer. Philippot will actually be a sophomore, having played in several games at Houston last year.

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
              Both will be able to play right away and have been on campus for most of the summer. Philippot will actually be a sophomore, having played in several games at Houston last year.
              Sideline is correct. The NCAA has a "one time transfer" rule for "non-major" sports. Football and basketball are the two sports in which there is virtually no way around sitting out a year. Even when Hurricane Katrina hit the New Orleans area, the NCAA said that Division I basketball and football players affected by the disaster could transfer - but they would still have to sit out a year. In volleyball, an athlete can transfer as long as they haven't done so before and as long as their previous school releases them.

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
                Sideline is correct. The NCAA has a "one time transfer" rule for "non-major" sports. Football and basketball are the two sports in which there is virtually no way around sitting out a year. Even when Hurricane Katrina hit the New Orleans area, the NCAA said that Division I basketball and football players affected by the disaster could transfer - but they would still have to sit out a year. In volleyball, an athlete can transfer as long as they haven't done so before and as long as their previous school releases them.
                The release is a key feature. If you recall, when a former VB coach left our program a couple of players requested release to play for him. I believe one was granted that release and one was not. The player not granted release from scholarship had to sit out one year while the other player could play immediately. Maybe I am misremembering though.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

[QUOTE=jackmd;155304]The release is a key feature. If you recall, when a former VB coach left our program a couple of players requested release to play for him. I believe one was granted that release and one was not. The player not granted release from scholarship had to sit out one year while the other player could play immediately. Maybe I

NCAA rules allow for the transfer of student athlete in a non-major sport and be elgible right away subject to two things. The first is the release of the athlete at the school the student is leaving. Secondly, conference rules permit such transfer. Major conferences ( such as Big 12 ) require the athlete to sit out one year before regaining their elgibility. The only question would be if the Summit League permits the transfer although USD is not a full fledged member of the league, but committed to the league nonetheless.

The young lady from Houston will be elgible, and I would assume so would the gal from USD.

Comment

Working...
                  X