Depth chart...let's get it going...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depth chart...let's get it going...

I was well into a rundown of the roster when I accidentaly erased it. Anyway, the season is right around the corner and the time to discuss this team is now. Let's heat it up.

I'll just start w/ a condensed version of the off so I don't waste anymore time.

QB - TOB. Can Lotzer beat out Jordan as backup? Can TO live up to the hype? Would we have beat Minny and Grizz if we had Ryan?

RB - Kyle and Ty. Kool moving to WR but it's still a solid RB corp.

WR/TE - Here we go huh? Kool and Rollin give you a chance for an explosive/athletic tandom. Kool is small and caught 1 pass last yr...Rollin has consistancy issues. Cochart is a SR and has all the talent in the world but I fear he'll suffer b/c of the lack of experience from TOB and wideouts. Hylland, Gant....can anyone else step up?

OL - See above. At this time next yr McKnight will be fighting to get on an NFL roster. After him it's a steep decline. Andith that I am losing power....will gladly continue when I get more "juice"...

Re: Depth chart...let's get it going...

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
    I was well into a rundown of the roster when I accidentaly erased it. Anyway, the season is right around the corner and the time to discuss this team is now. Let's heat it up.

I'll just start w/ a condensed version of the off so I don't waste anymore time.

QB - TOB. Can Lotzer beat out Jordan as backup? Can TO live up to the hype? Would we have beat Minny and Grizz if we had Ryan?

RB - Kyle and Ty. Kool moving to WR but it's still a solid RB corp.

WR/TE - Here we go huh? Kool and Rollin give you a chance for an explosive/athletic tandom. Kool is small and caught 1 pass last yr...Rollin has consistancy issues. Cochart is a SR and has all the talent in the world but I fear he'll suffer b/c of the lack of experience from TOB and wideouts. Hylland, Gant....can anyone else step up?

OL - See above. At this time next yr McKnight will be fighting to get on an NFL roster. After him it's a steep decline. Andith that I am losing power....will gladly continue when I get more "juice"...
    My take:

Returning starters in bold (offense 6 of 11) (defense 8 of 11)

QB- So O'Brien / Jr Thomas
    - Look for TOB take the next step, if he does, Jacks should make the playoffs. Alot rides on what TOB can get done this year.
    HB- Sr Minett / Sr Duffy
    - Minett will be on Payton watch and is an All-American, Duffy is solid
    TE1- Sr Beyer or Sr Sheehan
    - They split time and lead the way on the ground for the Jacks
    TE2- Sr Cochart / So Daughters
    - Cochart is an NFL prospect who should have a very good year
    WR1- So Rollin / SR Mitchell
    - Rollin takes over WR reigns and has good connection with classmate TOB, Mitchell has the physical tools and could surprise
    WR2- Jr Gant / FR Tiefenthaler
    - No clue who steps into the #2 spot. Alot of options though with Hylland, Iverson, Shonka, Schmidt, Conklin
    SlotWR - So Kool / So Wagner
    - A converted RB and converted DB will see time in special packages designed to get these playmakers the ball

(Warning: As always, not really sure on OL)
    LT- So Luethje / FR Witzmann
    - Luethje is bit of unknown but backed up Knips last year
    LG- SR Ludemann /So Castle
    - Luda is a Sr but has been more of a rotation player, Castle has seen time at Guard but was recruited for Center
    C- SR McKnight / So Castle
    - McKnight is returning 1st team All-MVC
    RG- JR Dominguez / So Olinger
    - Not sure where Dominguez fits in so I put him here. Haven't really heard much about Olinger or Buchner. They might have been passed up by FR Kage.
    RT- So Fick / FR Parker
    - Fick is returning starter who is going to be a beast. Parker also comes with high praise and might be good enough to pass up Luethje for starter

Defense

DE- Jr Steffen / Jr Wood
    - Before hurting his knee, Steffen was having a great year. Look for him to have a big season.
    DE- Sr Thompson or Jr Bowers
    - These two will probably rotate. Thompson has always been solid and should have good Sr year. Bowers could be used like Bonwell from a couple years ago as a pass rusher
    DT - Sr Basham / So Mink
    Basham is the closest thing we have to a run stuffer in the middle. Mink has shown good promise
    DT - Sr Fischer / So Fitzsimmons or Fr Douglas
    Fischer is good at collapsing the pocket and getting to QB, has seen starting time before. Fitz, Douglas, or Moala could see back-up time
    OLB- Sr Domino / So Shafrath
    Domino had monster year last season and could be NFL material. Shafrath has been all over as special teams player and has alot of talent.
    MLB- Jr Lien or So Tracy
    Either LB will get the job done. Lien has been playing since True freshman, Tracy has looked good at st
    OLB- Jr Feller or Jr Kool
    Both have seen time as back-ups last 2 years and will be solid players
    CB- Sr Brodie / Fr Brown
    Brodie will be 3rd year starter and good leader.
    CB- Sr Parnell / Jr Matthews
    Parnell is one of the best cover corners in MVC. Hopefully has no hang-ups from recovering knee. Matthews is talented and would be starting if not for 2 Sr's ahead of him
    SS - Sr Kjerstad / So Luxa / Fr Koehlmoos
    - Kjerstad is All-Conference and could finish as All-American with a shot at Pros. Covers both run and pass very well
    FS - Jr Wise or Sr Jeske / So Helm
    Both made good strides last year. Wise seems to cover pass better while Jeske is good against the run. Back-ups Helm & Koehlmoos can be interchanged. Both should be ST studs.

PK SR Reifenrath or JR Harris
    - Split time last year. Neither is great, but they both get the job done
    P SR Mink
    - Doesn't have huge leg but good at placing kicks out of bounds or within 20
    http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

Nice work MinneapolisJack! Can't argue with any of it.

That DLine is still great, and I think they will have a nice rotation! The Secondary will be one of the best in the FCS.

Domino is Domino and it's his Defense now, and i think he learned from some of the best Linebackers State has ever had, and he is more than excited not only to carry on that tradition, but pass it on as well!

Oline(here we go), has talent & size. They have limited playing experience, but they have experience and are practicing against one of the best Dlines in the FCS.

Who will return kicks?
      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post

Who will return kicks?
        My guess would be any of the below:

CB Brodie
        RB/WR Kool
        WR Gant
        WR Wagner
        WR Rollin
        WR Tiefenthaler
        CB Brown

Comment

Seems to be quite a bit of inexperienced but talented depth at receiver. Depth at O-line is only real question. Other positions seem solid, especially if Parnell returns at full speed, TOB develops a little more poise, and the DE's and LB's play well enough to ease the loss of Danny Batten & Co.
          This space for lease.

Comment

@Jacked up: 3 Sr's and a Jr. as starters plus Bowers(Who I have heard is a Batten-like animal) What's not to love about that DL? Every year you lose a guy or two you wonder who will replace, and every year we get a pretty good answer. I think Domino will elevate the LB's around him, he's that type of guy and player.

@MplsJack: I vote for Rollins a& Tiefenthaler's wheels at KR and that was who I was thinking. I think we should keep Brodie and Kool out of it and get them more involved in other areas.

Comment

@Jacked up: 3 Sr's and a Jr. as starters plus Bowers(Who I have heard is a Batten-like animal) What's not to love about that DL? Every year you lose a guy or two you wonder who will replace, and every year we get a pretty good answer. I think Domino will elevate the LB's around him, he's that type of guy and player.

@MplsJack: I vote for Rollins a& Tiefenthaler's wheels at KR and that was who I was thinking. I think we should keep Brodie and Kool out of it and get them more involved in other areas.
              I don't think Rollins is fast enough or has enough wiggle to return kicks...he seemed like more of a WR that needed to use his size and skill last year when he was playing.

Tiefenthaler, Wagner, Brown, Brodie, Kool, Dom Clare (if he doesn't redshirt) - those would be my guesses to return kicks/punts.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                I don't think Rollins is fast enough or has enough wiggle to return kicks...he seemed like more of a WR that needed to use his size and skill last year when he was playing.

Tiefenthaler, Wagner, Brown, Brodie, Kool, Dom Clare (if he doesn't redshirt) - those would be my guesses to return kicks/punts.
                Whatever the coaches need to do to get the ball in his hands I hope they do. I think he has the ability to be electric. Punts, kicks, bubble screens, flash formation, spelling Minett at tailback, whatever, just get him the ball.
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Nice work MinneapolisJack! Can't argue with any of it.

That DLine is still great, and I think they will have a nice rotation! The Secondary will be one of the best in the FCS.

Domino is Domino and it's his Defense now, and i think he learned from some of the best Linebackers State has ever had, and he is more than excited not only to carry on that tradition, but pass it on as well!

Oline(here we go), has talent & size. They have limited playing experience, but they have experience and are practicing against one of the best Dlines in the FCS.

Who will return kicks?
                  Wait a minute, didn't Montana hang 61 on this stellar defense??

Comment

Originally posted by BangorHen View Post
                    Tread lightly, my friend, tread lightly.

EDIT: Just FYI, our defense was still one of the best in the FCS last year, despite that game.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

The coaches were really high on Kool after the spring. The plan is to have him return to RB after a one year stint at WR to get him on the field as much as possible. No matter what his position, they want to get him touches.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

While I do not like to rehash the entirety of that game. It was mostly high altitude, special teams and defensive plays by Montana against our Redshirt freshman that got them back into the game.
                        I will be the first to admit it was self destruction at it's finest and will be a calling card and battle cry for years: Don't Forget the Meltdown!

Prior to that game it was, I believe, the #1 scoring defense in the country. But ended up 16th, which is a sight better than 38th. Overall Defense they ended up ranked 17th which also is better than 50th.....looking at you Delaware

Game on.

Comment

wait same Delaware team that finished 4-4 in it's conference and did not get in the playoffs?

Comment

I would go back and check if it wasn't such a buzz kill, but I believe good chunk of those points were scored on special teams and turn overs. Not that the Defense didn't give up their fair share.

But than again, that was against Montana who went to the Championship game... not Delaware, which failed to make the play-offs so I think we'll be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post

I put Rollin in there because he had success last year returning kicks (6 returns, 30.5 ave)

I think Dom Clare has already used up his redshirt hasn't he? Someone correct me if I'm mistaken though.

Comment

Working...
                              X