Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stu Strikes... wait, what?

Gotta give Stu credit in his latest blog entry:

"Yes, and I also happened to notice that without SDSU, USD, NDSU and UND in the mix, suddenly those regional appearances are not quite as noteworthy. Division II has been watered down, just as Fred Oien forecasted, and you guys are reaping the benefits."

http://bit.ly/d5YbKc

Granted, he did give credit to Fred Oien in a fictional portrayal of USF athletic director, but for him to give Oien credit is stepping outside his usual comfort zone.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: Stu Strikes... wait, what?

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

"Yes, and I also happened to notice that without SDSU, USD, NDSU and UND in the mix, suddenly those regional appearances are not quite as noteworthy. Division II has been watered down, just as Fred Oien forecasted, and you guys are reaping the benefits."

Granted, he did give credit to Fred Oien in a fictional portrayal of USF athletic director, but for him to give Oien credit is stepping outside his usual comfort zone.
    Screw Stu. Terry V. is the only relevant sportswriter at the Argus. (Hey, it's the smack section )

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

That blog post was actually quite humorous, but if I was an Augie fan I might think differently. Oh well, how does the old saying go?: "It's funny as long as it isn't happening to me."
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
        Screw Stu. Terry V. is the only relevant sportswriter at the Argus. (Hey, it's the smack section )
        I like what Zimmer has to write. Funny and has a good writing style. Music taste ain't bad.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Wait, did I read that right? Did he just give Dr. Oien a shout out? Someone better get down to the Argus and check his vitals to make sure everything is okay.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I like how he has Sanchez saying that the Cougars can take the NSIC to the next level.

What amuses me is that doubtless there are people that truly believe that the NSIC can be taken 'to the next level.'

Honestly, I think the upper midwest was the only part of the country that took D-2 seriously. And I think that stopped with the dissolution of the NCC.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              I like how he has Sanchez saying that the Cougars can take the NSIC to the next level.

What amuses me is that doubtless there are people that truly believe that the NSIC can be taken 'to the next level.'

Honestly, I think the upper midwest was the only part of the country that took D-2 seriously. And I think that stopped with the dissolution of the NCC.
              There are still good conferences. The MIAA and GSC come to mind. Though, I think the only people that take it 'seriously' are the fans of those teams.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                Though, I think the only people that take it 'seriously' are the fans of those teams.
                Exactly.

At the end, the NCC had the D-2 leaders in basketball attendance and FB attendance, and probably had more dedicated staff writers than any other D-2 conference. Probably got more sports headlines in front of more readers than any other D-2 conference too.

I don't think D-2 will ever be as relevant anywhere as it was here during the NCC years.

Comment

I agree. And the biggest reason why is that this area was the last to get any D1 athletics (wait, have to check on Alaska, obviously ND & SD never really counted hockey as a relevant sport ) Is there a another geographic area with only D2 teams within its boundaries? If so, that area may have the importance the NCC used to have here.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Stu's writing is appropriate for a middle-school newspaper.

Comment

Stu once again looks kind of stupid. With his goofy blog,he should be ashamed of himself, especially when the President of Augustana made the motion to make visits to USF and Minot St.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...19/1002/sports

Comment

Slick Willie played the media, especially the Argus & KWSN, like a fiddle.
                        USD Fan

Comment

The fact that an individual moved to take a vote on a resolution has nothing to do with how they voted on the actual resolution. Often times an individual will move for a vote on issue because they believe the issue will fail on the vote and they don't want the other side to have to switch anyones opinion. Other times, especially in group like this addressing an issue like this, an individual will ask that they be able to make the motion for public relations reasons regardless of how the vote comes out. This request is often made long before the body is close to having decided how they want to proceed on the issue.

Augie is clearly the institution most affected by potential addition of these schools to the NSIC or the refusal to admit them. By having made the motion, and the actual vote being confidential, Augie was in the position of not being the bad guy no matter how the vote went. Approval of the motion shows they were willing to help USF, even if they argued against it and actually voted against (the debate and vote are confidential). If the presidents had voted against the measure, Augie can publicly state how they made the motion and were not standing in USF's way. Every institution at some time will have issues come up where they want to make the motion and if they can demonstrate they are the most affected institution, the other presidents will likely allow it.

Now with all that said, I have no idea if Augie was strongly advocating for USF, was completely neutral, or strongly against USF getting a site visit. I am just saying that as soon as USF indicated they were going D2, Augie probably began the process of getting it lined up so they could make the motion on whether to give USF a site visit before they knew for sure if it was something they were for or against.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                            The fact that an individual moved to take a vote on a resolution has nothing to do with how they voted on the actual resolution. Often times an individual will move for a vote on issue because they believe the issue will fail on the vote and they don't want the other side to have to switch anyones opinion. Other times, especially in group like this addressing an issue like this, an individual will ask that they be able to make the motion for public relations reasons regardless of how the vote comes out. This request is often made long before the body is close to having decided how they want to proceed on the issue.

Augie is clearly the institution most affected by potential addition of these schools to the NSIC or the refusal to admit them. By having made the motion, and the actual vote being confidential, Augie was in the position of not being the bad guy no matter how the vote went. Approval of the motion shows they were willing to help USF, even if they argued against it and actually voted against (the debate and vote are confidential). If the presidents had voted against the measure, Augie can publicly state how they made the motion and were not standing in USF's way. Every institution at some time will have issues come up where they want to make the motion and if they can demonstrate they are the most affected institution, the other presidents will likely allow it.

Now with all that said, I have no idea if Augie was strongly advocating for USF, was completely neutral, or strongly against USF getting a site visit. I am just saying that as soon as USF indicated they were going D2, Augie probably began the process of getting it lined up so they could make the motion on whether to give USF a site visit before they knew for sure if it was something they were for or against.
                            Re-reading the article, I see the actual vote tally was not published, but mentions that only that a simple majority was all that was needed. No mention on how Bob Oliver voted, so he could have voted negative.

So your points are well taken. I would tend to believe the comments given by AD Bill Gross, as you really can not stop some other school from progressing and that is what USF appears to be doing. What threat if any these two D2 schools are to SDSU in developing the SF market remains to be seen and I tend to believe even a one time whipping of UND in football is not enough to take our good SF fans away from Brookings on any given Saturday.

Comment

Didn't know where to put this but besides the commercial of stu there is a billboard of stu on 10TH street in sioux falls by mr nifty. Perspective. X and Os don't tell the whole story. I do. And it has a picture of his smug face. Stu must be tired of everyone liking and reading stuff from tv and mick and zim more then his stuff. It should say Opinioned and baised. That's me.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X