Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting FCS to FBS article

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...spx?id=4316688

Thought this was a good read as everybody sits holding their breath to see what happens.
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Re: Interesting FCS to FBS article

It was pretty good, until the last sentence made me reconsider the author's FCS football knowledge.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
      It was pretty good, until the last sentence made me reconsider the author's FCS football knowledge.
      I know your comment was tongue and cheek, but I think the author is accurate with NDSU. Taking out our bias of NDSU, they are a solid choice to move. They can draw the fans, they have beaten FBS teams, they would have the funding and the support to make the move, additionally, they could get up to 85 scholarships quickly. I would even bet the city of Fargo would expand the Fargo Dome to accommodate more fans if they made the move.
      The big question, could they win games in the WAC? I think so. Teams they could compete with or beat: San Jose State, New Mexico State, Utah State, Idaho, and La Tech. Teams they could not: Boise State, Nevada, Hawaii and Fresno State.

SDSU on the other hand is 10-20 years away from being a viable candidate. We don't have the facilities, the support or the money to even think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
        I know your comment was tongue and cheek, but I think the author is accurate with NDSU. Taking out our bias of NDSU, they are a solid choice to move. They can draw the fans, they have beaten FBS teams, they would have the funding and the support to make the move, additionally, they could get up to 85 scholarships quickly. I would even bet the city of Fargo would expand the Fargo Dome to accommodate more fans if they made the move.
        The big question, could they win games in the WAC? I think so. Teams they could compete with or beat: San Jose State, New Mexico State, Utah State, Idaho, and La Tech. Teams they could not: Boise State, Nevada, Hawaii and Fresno State.

SDSU on the other hand is 10-20 years away from being a viable candidate. We don't have the facilities, the support or the money to even think about it.
        I coudn't disagree with you more on all accounts.

Comment

At this point, any FBS team moving up would only be doing so in search of more $$$ for the school. With the BCS set up the way it is, the Boise State's of the world are a very rare exception, not the rule. Marshall is more the rule - decent program who perenially vies for some crappy bowl and a 6-5, 7-4 season. Most years are going to see the teams hoping to hover around .500 and cash in on a bowl. A national championship is a pipe dream. If Boise can't get a chance at the title game, no non-BCS school ever will. I don't see any positives for moving up (even for NDSU) aside from a potential for money. Although, I'd say it's probably not as easy to make money as it appears given the needed boost in scholies, facilities and travel expenses.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Below is a better article regarding the potential changing landscape of college football:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/c...es-and-the-FCS

I think too many people blindly assume that joining a FBS conference is always better than remaining in a strong FCS conference.
            USD Fan

Comment

(NDSU) they would have the funding and the support to make the move, additionally, they could get up to 85 scholarships quickly. .
              Nope...if you read Bisonville, you would think all three (funding, support, ability to get to 85 schollies) is no problem. In reality, that just isn't the case. They do not have the $$ needed to make the move at this time...
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                Nope...if you read Bisonville, you would think all three (funding, support, ability to get to 85 schollies) is no problem. In reality, that just isn't the case. They do not have the $$ needed to make the move at this time...
                They would also need to add additional scholarship money to their women sports (or add another one) in order to remain Title IX compliant.

I will give NDSU credit they have a great fan base, no question about that and their facilities will continue to get better.

Comment

Not sure I buy this one. Last season's home football attendance avg.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...dance/2009.pdf

NDSU - 16,515
                  SDSU - 13,265

Comment

A football stadium and field house is what is holding us back. If those can get in the works, maybe we could give FBS a look. Until then, SDSU will be in no position to move up.
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      I coudn't disagree with you more on all accounts.
                      Can you elaborate why you disagree?

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                        Not sure I buy this one. Last season's home football attendance avg.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...dance/2009.pdf

NDSU - 16,515
                        SDSU - 13,265
                        2007 NDSU average attendance - 18141
                        2008 NDSU average attendance - 18032 this was 6th overall in FCS

2009 was our best year ever in FCS and we averaged 13,265. A refurbished stadium and more winning and our attendance will go up, but that is going to take a while.

Comment

I was poking fun at the Bison, and should have been reprimanded for smack (admittedly really bad smack) in a non-smack thread. However, I think that NDSU is closer to your time frame for the Jacks, than the Jacks are to your time frame for NDSU.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

2007 NDSU average attendance - 18141
                            2008 NDSU average attendance - 18032 this was 6th overall in FCS

2009 was our best year ever in FCS and we averaged 13,265. A refurbished stadium and more winning and our attendance will go up, but that is going to take a while.
                            That looks like a downward trend to me

2007 - 18141
                            2008 - 18032
                            2009 - 16515

Plans are already in the works for a new 22,500 seat stadium and an indoor field house at SDSU.

Comment

I think 10 to 20 years away if very fair. And we might never want to make the jump. I guess I have no idea what the powers that be think. But we need significant upgrades beyond just a better football facilities. What about baseball...track...softball? There's a lot of work left on those facilities. What about Title IX? We need more coaches in some of the major sports, let alone the ones fans pay less attention. I'm sorry, but from a facilities and money standpoint, NDSU is just in a better position to move up. It's not as simple as getting a bigger football stadium, drawing 15,000 fans and making the jump. But, at least in the short term, I don't think there's any need to worry too much about any of this just now as far as SDSU is concerned...though it does make good fodder for us to kick around.
                              Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                              X