If the rest of the Nation believes...why can't we? Preseason fball poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the rest of the Nation believes...why can't we? Preseason fball poll

I stole this from bisonville. Let the games begin!!!

2010 AGS Pre Season poll
    MVFC teams in Bold.

Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25

(First place votes in parenthesis), Points
    1. Villanova (81) 2344
    2. Montana (7) 2106
    3. Appalachian St. (2) 1965
    4. William & Mary (3) 1909
    5. Southern Illinois (1) 1825
    6. New Hampshire 1644
    7. Elon 1578
    8. Richmond 1414
    9. South Dakota St. 1359
    10. South Carolina St. 1352
    11. Stephen F. Austin 1218
    12. Northern Iowa 1028
    13. McNeese St. 1011
    14. Eastern Washington 1002
    15. Delaware 885
    16. James Madison 871
    17. Jacksonville St. 720
    18. Weber St. 639
    19. Liberty 582
    20. Furman 491
    21. Eastern Illinois 480
    22. Montana St. 377
    23. Cal Poly 319
    24. Pennsylvania 277
    25. Holy Cross 262

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Prairie View A&M (43), Texas St. (41), Northern Arizona (36), Massachusetts (31), Maine (30), Colgate (25), Wofford (22), Eastern Kentucky (20), Lafayette (19), UC Davis (17), Chattanooga (15), Illinois St. (15), Florida A&M (14), Georgia Southern (14), North Dakota St. (13), Central Arkansas (11), Youngstown St. (11), Harvard (10), Lehigh (10), Stony Brook (10), Southeastern Louisiana (9), Albany (8), Grambling St. (7), Dayton (5), Missouri St. (5)
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Re: If the rest of the Nation believes...why can't we? Preseason fball poll

For me, the Jacks making the playoffs comes down to 3 things.

1.) Same with every team, how healthy can they stay? Some positions can sustain an injury or two -- but other positions won't be so lucky.

2.) The play of QB O'Brien. He will need to take a step forward because this team's offense will be the biggest weakness. Teams are going to force the Jacks to pass the ball.

3.) Looking at the schedule, the first game of the year against Delaware is a must win. Delaware is a solid team with a good home field advantage, but the Jacks have a better team and would win on neutral ground. With how hard our road schedule is, we will need this game to give us some balance through the rest of the season. If we lose, there will be no wiggle room the rest of the way.

I know people are concerned about the OL & WR, but I feel they will be adequate enough to win. (Especially if #2 happens)
    http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

Looking over the list of who's back and who's lost from the starters last year of the MVFC teams, on paper, Jacks should stay about where they did last year.

With that said, Jacks face a much more challenging schedule than they did last year. The biggest difference is WHERE Jacks play these opponents.

OOC is
      Delaware - Away - Critical first game against a quality opponent. This will be a tough game. Blue Hens are likely to be "up" this year, and have a quality QB. Jacks win this, and looking positive to get back to the play-offs. Lose this game, and Jacks will be struggling all season to make the play-offs.

Nebraska - FBS $$$ game. If Jacks win this, we should join App St. in the annuals of FCS vs FBS lore.

In conference, SIU is returning more quality than most teams, and we have too many ??? regarding our OLine and WR Corps. If Jacks O-Line is solid,then minor miracles of may occur. UNI may be rebuilding rather than reloading. IL St should be a better team this year. IMHO, Jacks benefitted from playing Il St earlier in the season, under a late hired coach. Redbirds may be ready to make the play-offs this year. Glad SDSU plays them at home. Mo St will be another 'tweener, and miss the players

Bottom 4 last year were NDSU, WIU, In ST, and YSU. In St could actually be the top of the bottom four this year. Third year for the coach and team to gell. In St doesn't end up on the bottom of the MVFC this year. IMHO, WIU will be the bottom team again, as they were last year. Bison will have to be substantially better team than have been the last two seasons, using the same personnel. Being an idiot is expecting different results from same staff. Bohl gone at end of 2010, especially if 4th straight loss to Jacks, and 2nd in Dome. YSU, new coach, new offensive and defensive alignments, middle of the MVFC at best.

North Dakota should be a team Jacks beat. But a lot of teams said that about Jacks during their transition years also. With a 2-2 Great West record, UND was deemed the champs as they beat both of the other GWFC 2-2 teams. For Jacks to be in play-offs, SDSU will need to win the UND game.

Jacks are at best going 9-2, with a loss to SIU and Neb, or if they don't gell early, as bad as 5-6, losing all the tough road games (Del, Neb, SIU, UNI & NDSU) and Il St surprises Jacks at CAS.

Defense will again be the key strength of the Jacks, and the Offense (mainly line play) suspect early in season, but improves as season progresses.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
        I stole this from bisonville. Let the games begin!!!

2010 AGS Pre Season poll
        MVFC teams in Bold.

Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25

(First place votes in parenthesis), Points
        1. Villanova (81) 2344
        2. Montana (7) 2106
        3. Appalachian St. (2) 1965
        4. William & Mary (3) 1909
        5. Southern Illinois (1) 1825
        6. New Hampshire 1644
        7. Elon 1578
        8. Richmond 1414
        9. South Dakota St. 1359
        10. South Carolina St. 1352
        11. Stephen F. Austin 1218
        12. Northern Iowa 1028
        13. McNeese St. 1011
        14. Eastern Washington 1002
        15. Delaware 885
        16. James Madison 871
        17. Jacksonville St. 720
        18. Weber St. 639
        19. Liberty 582
        20. Furman 491
        21. Eastern Illinois 480
        22. Montana St. 377
        23. Cal Poly 319
        24. Pennsylvania 277
        25. Holy Cross 262

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Prairie View A&M (43), Texas St. (41), Northern Arizona (36), Massachusetts (31), Maine (30), Colgate (25), Wofford (22), Eastern Kentucky (20), Lafayette (19), UC Davis (17), Chattanooga (15), Illinois St. (15), Florida A&M (14), Georgia Southern (14), North Dakota St. (13), Central Arkansas (11), Youngstown St. (11), Harvard (10), Lehigh (10), Stony Brook (10), Southeastern Louisiana (9), Albany (8), Grambling St. (7), Dayton (5), Missouri St. (5)
        BTW - AnyGivenSaturday Poll is a FAN poll. If you have over 100 posts at AGS, and are responsive to the invite to be a pollster, you too can be a voter. AGS's track record of predicting play-off spots, top seeds in the play-offs is in a dead heat for the lead with the computer power index as far as predicting success since initiated in 2003. Please join me in making this poll reflective of the best out there.

Comment

The home/away schedule might not work out too bad.

Missouri St & Illinois St might both be better than UNI (Which lost a ton). Playing those at home could actually be a benefit.

My thoughts on the MVC

1. SIU - Slightly down from last year
          2. SDSU - Slightly down
          3. IL ST - Slightly up
          4. MSU - Even
          5. UNI - Down from last year
          6. NDSU - Up from last year
          7. YSU - Even to slightly down
          8. IN ST - Up from last year
          9. WIU - Even (Still horrible)

Of course I'll probably change my mind 10 times before the season starts.
          http://www.twitter.com/minneapolisjack

Comment

I think Lindy's had the Jacks at 13th, which is also fair.

I think a lot of people believe the season hinges on the Delaware game right out of the gate. Without that warmup game nothing to judge our Jacks by! Should the Jacks lose to Delaware(I stress SHOULD). All 5 home games are wins. A win against NDSU and UNI puts them in the playoffs. A win against SIU and Nebraska is all just icing on the cake.

I think Jacks win the Conference Title this year. Somehow SIU slips for some reason, it may or may not be against us, but they get beat twice in conference, it's still enough to get 2nd(I of course think one will be from us). The gut of SIU's schedule is tough: Ill State, Northern Iowa, SDSU, Mizz State, then at NDSU. They could be pretty tenderized by the time they reach Fargo.
            Sat., Oct. 2at Illinois State Normal, Ill.1:00 p.m. CTSat., Oct. 9vs. Northern Iowa (Homecoming) Carbondale, Ill.2:00 p.m. CTSat., Oct. 16vs. South Dakota St. (Family Weekend)Carbondale, Ill.2:00 p.m. CTSat., Oct. 30at Missouri StateSpringfield, Mo.2:00 p.m. CTSat., Nov. 6at North Dakota State
            1. SDSU*(Jacks finish 7-1 in conference play!)
            2. SIU*
            3. Ill St.*
            4. UNI*
            5. Mizz State
            6. Youngstown(New coach, new system, beware 2011)
            7. NDSU(Sorry NDSU, you've given me nothing to believe in. Keep screaming about all your talent though! Bye Bohl!)
            8. Ind State(Will get 3 wins this year!)
            9. Western Ill.(What the heck happened to the Leathernecks?)

*The Valley puts 4 in the playoffs this year!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
              I think Lindy's had the Jacks at 13th, which is also fair.

I think a lot of people believe the season hinges on the Delaware game right out of the gate. Without that warmup game nothing to judge our Jacks by! Should the Jacks lose to Delaware(I stress SHOULD). All 5 home games are wins. A win against NDSU and UNI puts them in the playoffs. A win against SIU and Nebraska is all just icing on the cake.

I think Jacks win the Conference Title this year. Somehow SIU slips for some reason, it may or may not be against us, but they get beat twice in conference, it's still enough to get 2nd(I of course think one will be from us). The gut of SIU's schedule is tough: Ill State, Northern Iowa, SDSU, Mizz State, then at NDSU. They could be pretty tenderized by the time they reach Fargo.
              Sat., Oct. 2at Illinois State Normal, Ill.1:00 p.m. CTSat., Oct. 9vs. Northern Iowa (Homecoming) Carbondale, Ill.2:00 p.m. CTSat., Oct. 16vs. South Dakota St. (Family Weekend)Carbondale, Ill.2:00 p.m. CTSat., Oct. 30at Missouri StateSpringfield, Mo.2:00 p.m. CTSat., Nov. 6at North Dakota State
              1. SDSU*(Jacks finish 7-1 in conference play!)
              2. SIU*
              3. Ill St.*
              4. UNI*
              5. Mizz State
              6. Youngstown(New coach, new system, beware 2011)
              7. NDSU(Sorry NDSU, you've given me nothing to believe in. Keep screaming about all your talent though! Bye Bohl!)
              8. Ind State(Will get 3 wins this year!)
              9. Western Ill.(What the heck happened to the Leathernecks?)

*The Valley puts 4 in the playoffs this year!!!!!
              I like the positive thinking, but you're definitely seeing through blue and yellow glasses.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I don't think this has been posted but here are the preseason rankings by Sporting News College Annual

1. Villanova
                2. Montana
                3. Applacchian State
                4. Southern Illinois
                5. Richmond
                6. Stephen F.Austin
                7. South Dakota State
                8. James Madison
                9. Elon
                10. New Hampshire
                16. Illinois State
                18. Delaware
                25. Northern Iowa

Game 1 against # 18 Delaware should be revealing.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  I like the positive thinking, but you're definitely seeing through blue and yellow glasses.
                  I'll give the Nebraska game Blue and Yellow Glasses, other than that...I don't see much changing. I never said we will beat SIU for sure, I just think they will drop two conference games this year, and the Jacks will drop 1 conference game(things happen).

The defense will remain as salty as last year. Domino and Dirk will anchor the LB's well, and the entire secondary is outstanding. The D-Line did not just dissolve because Batten is gone: Jake, Antonio, and Bowers looks like the real deal as well. The OL is new but they are still all about pushing the 290+, that's a lot of beef to push holes open for one of the top rushers in the country. One great running back, the best(yet under utilized) Tight end in the conf., and one good receiver, conference newcomer of the year in O'Brien and X-Factor Kool. What's not to like?
                  We don't shovel this many positive successful years in a row in the dirt and say "oh well, back to the drawing board". The talent level is the highest it's ever been I'm told....We had 6-5, 6-5, 7-4, 7-4,7-5,and now 8-3 seasons when it wasn't this high. I understand everyone has the underlying skepticism, time to disregard that. Geez the Bison went 3-100 last year, and they expect to make the playoffs this year.

Comment

Catrabbit nailed it.

Comment

If we win the first game against UD, this season is going to be one hell of a great year for us. We have several things working against us in this game. #1, they already will have had a warmup game under their belts. They are also a much better team than I think a lot of us are giving them credit for. This is a team that should challenge for the CAA title, which, as much as I hate to admit, has been better than the MVFC of late. We also have a long azz plane trip out there, and its our first game. Every team has a ton of kinks to work on in that first game. It will be our O-lines first game as a unit against a real team. They also have a stadium the size of Montana's damn near, and sell it out just as regularly. This is an AWESOME game that we picked up here, and I am not being sarcastic.

All this said, we are going to win this game, just want to show how awesome this win will be. When we win this one, I predict we get launched into the top five in the country rankings. This is going to be a great year to be a Jackrabbit!
                      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Here is how we are looking at things in Youngstown:
                        http://www.letsgoguins.com/forums/vi....php?f=2&t=191

Needless to say you guys are getting high praise from Penguin fans.

Comment

Thanks, Guin. Interesting stuff. The Jacks are getting a lot of respect, but SIU seems to be the top pick among fans of the league and national pundits.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

This guy if he goes to YSU gets the Name of the Conference Award!!!!

http://www.letsgoguins.com/recruitin...erry-ysu-offer

I assume he would be a WR since there aren't many 5'9" 155lb DE's in FCS Fball.

Comment

Originally posted by guinzone View Post
                              Here is how we are looking at things in Youngstown:
                              http://www.letsgoguins.com/forums/vi....php?f=2&t=191

Needless to say you guys are getting high praise from Penguin fans.
                              Somebody needs to give mvred some rep over there. His evalulation of SDSU and NDSU were pretty spot on

Comment

Working...
                              X