Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of a great campus icon

Blank
    Last edited by i_got_a_fever; 03-14-2016, 08:43 PM.

Re: End of a great campus icon

I'm surprised by this. Need to hear details before I decide anything.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

This could actually be a huge deal for SDSU if Aramark markets and carries the ice cream in other Aramark locations.
      Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
        This could actually be a huge deal for SDSU if Aramark markets and carries the ice cream in other Aramark locations.
        That no doubt their plan, but SDSU looses much here. They no longer have a lab for dairy manufacturing majors, many who have went on to big big jobs at places like Kraft and other giant food manufacturers etc. With Armark, they will start insisting doing things their way in order to profit. So we have a less quality product and the name and quality associated with the ice cream products suffer and eventually disappear.

I think some USD guy is behind this move. It might even be JoeybrownerHOF.

Comment

If I recall right, the campus is embarking on a 5 million dollar Dairy Manufacturing Addition & Remodel this summer. So contary to what Nidaros said, SDSU isn't losing its lab for dairy manufacturing majors.

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
            If I recall right, the campus is embarking on a 5 million dollar Dairy Manufacturing Addition & Remodel this summer. So contary to what Nidaros said, SDSU isn't losing its lab for dairy manufacturing majors.
            So they are buying the old facility. Okay.

The dairy bar would be the old facility? Right? I suspect they will use the bar to sell 6 dollar cold sandwich's and for an extra buck you can use their microwave.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 05-05-2010, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              So they are buying the old facility. Okay.
              Negative.
              http://www.sdsufoundation.org/2010/0...-is-may-7.html
              A groundbreaking ceremony for the new Dairy Plant at South Dakota State University (see conceptual design above) will take place Friday, May 7. And, a groundbreaking new ice cream flavor will be revealed to commemorate the occasion. The event will begin at 4:30 p.m. on the east side of the Dairy Science Building. Attendees are asked to park in the lot next to the South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum, at the corner of 11th Street and Medary Avenue.
              The renovation project will add 10,850 square feet of space onto the east of the existing lab, creating a state-of-the-art facility totaling 17,900 square feet. The remodeling and additions will turn the 50-year-old plant into a modernized dairy processing research and education plant laboratory.
              The project will enable the SDSU Dairy Science program to better compete for the best faculty and students. It will provide modern teaching and research facilities, which are necessary to meet the scientific and talent demands of the rapidly growing South Dakota, regional and national dairy industry.

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
                I don't think that will be the case, Aramark is all about making money, they could give a rats ass about the SDSU Ice Cream name. In addition, I didn't say that bought the dairy lab/plant, only the bar. Pertaining the meat lab, I am not going to name names but there is an individual who would like to donate a very, very large sum of money. I'm talking in the millions, to build SDSU a new meat lab, but I am sure that will not come to fruition if Aramark gets their greedy hands on the meat lab as well. I am a meat science student currently and Aramark just rubs me the wrong way. The Meat Science Club sold smoked sausages in the SE corner of Coughlin this past season on our big grill, but Aramark took 60% of our profit, we don't know if we are going to be doing that again this season.
                I am somewhat confused and should have been like firstrow and witheld comment until more details were known. So let's see here now what is supposely happening at SDSU.

1. The old Dairy Bar, which was once very new to me in 1964 when it opened, is now being taken over by Amamark, the exclusive food vendor to SDSU. What they want to do with this facility is not disclosed. I suppose they could use it to sell light meals during noon hour and also sell the ice cream. Just my personal guess.

2. I got a fever mentions the meat lab, something mutually exclusive of of the old Dairy Bar and somehow Aramark is trying to take control of this as well. Why I dont know except they they seem to be making money at the expense of Meat Science Club's expense, but they do the same over at Coughlin and Frost on every vendor.

I know two vendors whose eyes do not light up when you mention concessions at SDSU events. Perhaps its the Aramark pricing and contracts that leave these two vendors very little in the end. Both do real well on their own at their own business sites. So perhaps Aramark's profit motive is a bit aggressive and offensive to say the least.

3. Sideline Observer rightfully correct me in that the Dairy Manufacturing lab was being replaced with a more state of the art equipment setup, which is good. It would be a very sad day when education is turned over to private enterprise and exploited to fit their bottom line. This is a danger I sense with our president being on a big board and other partners who gain to benefit from research being conducted at SDSU. Our research should be a benefit to the whole state and society in general and not special commerical interests. We kind of walk a fine line here into the future in finding partners to do future research.

Comment

My opinion of Aramark is identical to my opinion of their coffee.

What exactly did Marriott do to lose the contract in the first place? Nothing I could ever figure out.

Comment

Aramark did not purchase the Dairy Bar. They will manage it though.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      My opinion of Aramark is identical to my opinion of their coffee.

What exactly did Marriott do to lose the contract in the first place? Nothing I could ever figure out.
                      Marriott Food Services is part of Sodexo now.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                        Marriott Food Services is part of Sodexo now.
                        Is that bad or good?

Aramark------it amazed me how the prices went up when SDSU dropped Marriott, but the food didn't get any better. In fact, some things got worse.

But excuse me for complaining. I'm hardly ever on campus anymore, it's really not my problem...........

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                          Is that bad or good?

Aramark------it amazed me how the prices went up when SDSU dropped Marriott, but the food didn't get any better. In fact, some things got worse.

But excuse me for complaining. I'm hardly ever on campus anymore, it's really not my problem...........
                          The same thing happen at Coughlin and Frost when Aramark took over concessions.
                          More price without an increase in quality.

Its definitely a stock that should be in everyone's portfolio.

Comment

I don't know the specifics of this. But at a time when state funding is being dramatically cut by the Legislature, is it at all surprising that SDSU is looking to shed some auxiliary services and perhaps raise a little revenue at the same time?
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                            X